Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mountainkeep's Funniest Traps.  (Read 2414 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mountainkeep's Funniest Traps.
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:03:47 pm »

Hello...today we're talking about comedic trap ideas and the numerous ways to inflict pain on your opponents. While normally one could just fight bad guys, where's the fun in that. So suggest your humorous ways to defend the fort.

The first example would be a bridgeapult into a lava pool. The bridge raises in the direction of the pool and whenever you pull the lever, the poor su...er goblin gets catapulted and lands with a burning splash.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Mountainkeep's Funniest Traps.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:14:19 pm »

Hello...today we're talking about comedic trap ideas and the numerous ways to inflict pain on your opponents. While normally one could just fight bad guys, where's the fun in that. So suggest your humorous ways to defend the fort.

The first example would be a bridgeapult into a lava pool. The bridge raises in the direction of the pool and whenever you pull the lever, the poor su...er goblin gets catapulted and lands with a burning splash.

Holy Grail eh?

I prefer a room that locks up and drips 1/7 water in ever so slowly.
Chinese water torture is effective.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 10:21:06 pm »

Ooh...I have another trap idea. We know that goblins and elves have perfect swimming and thus don't drown without a roof. Why not build a trap designed to take advantage of this? Have a giant pipe that the goblins slowly swim to the top of, and a pipe that they get pushed outwards towards...the pipe leads to a very long fall...sort of like a waterslide of doom.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:59:58 pm »

Channel out your entrance hall and erect a retractable bridge over it. (You can do this with a constructed floor and a few supports, but rebuilding everything is a hassle.) Fill the pit beneath with magma, spike traps, war dogs or whatever else your imagination can devise. Rig the bridge with pressure plates in such a manner that the first goblin to cross the threshold will drop all his chums into the pit to expire messily, then seal back up to allow him to run like buggery and do whatever it is goblins do in this situation.
Bonus points if the Hammerer's private quarters are down there in order that he might do something useful for a change.

Less showy but equally satisfying: Line your entrance hall with fortifications and station marksdwarves on either side. For later sieges, alternate between marksdwarves and speardwarves for added close-in protection, and add a few traps at the mouth of the tunnel to soften them up just in case.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 12:34:42 am »

You missed the point...the point is to make the trap hilarious...

My other trap idea is to build a giant anvil-shaped structure and link it to a support linked to a ceiling...because nothing says classic humor than a giant anvil falling on top of someone.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 12:58:28 am »

About water pushing: I was trying to make something like that: a big room, with a series of doors on the sides, which goblins have to pass to get into fort. When the first goblin enters it he steps onto pressure plate, which triggers a mechanisms to close the floodgates and after some time all goblins who manage to enter inside are locked. When the goblin steps near one of the doors - click - door opens and a stream of pressurised water would push him on the other side of the room where the weapon trap with a single wooden spike is. To my gread disappointment water couldn't push goblins far enough. But still! after some tome there were eniough water to drown them... Not so much fun, but still. I called it The Great Goblin Wash Machine! Although it produced enormous amounts of mud, when opened afterwards.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 01:36:52 am »

One idea I can't wait to implement is a dog flood. The entrance to the fortress has several grates or floodgates sealing pits full of war dogs. When the invaders get near, a level is pulled and war dogs stream out of their pits.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 01:55:12 am »

One idea I can't wait to implement is a dog flood. The entrance to the fortress has several grates or floodgates sealing pits full of war dogs. When the invaders get near, a level is pulled and war dogs stream out of their pits.

I'm having that. With Wyrms. My mod, trainable flying, firebreathing, dwarf-sized dragonic creatures. Pull lever, open cages, watch as death comes from above.
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:29:27 am »

Bridgapult chain leading back around to the beginning of the bridgapult chain.  See how long you can keep the siege flying in circles before the last one splats down into the deep spike trapped lava moat.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 02:34:02 am »

Do creatures take damage if another creature falls on them?  If so I could see a series of goblin containment areas, each one with bridges for floors, so that we can drop goblin upon goblin to our hearts delight. ... or until we run out of goblins.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 05:57:36 am »

Something I plan to try for my next entranceway is a 3-5 space wide walkway that folds up into a walled 1 space wide corridor. This would allow a single ballista to guard the entire walkway, as well as flinging 66-80% of their numbers around as the trap activates.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 06:05:52 am »

I know that water have teleportitis but when i thought this out i hoped that if i use enough pressurized water it would work anyway. So i made a five wide corridor with an open end 10z over the ground outside to propel the hapless victims to their death.
It didnt work. The whole corridor was filled in one second and the dwarf i used as crashdummy drowned.
I wanted to send stuff flying >_<

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:05 am »

Something I plan to try for my next entranceway is a 3-5 space wide walkway that folds up into a walled 1 space wide corridor. This would allow a single ballista to guard the entire walkway, as well as flinging 66-80% of their numbers around as the trap activates.
I wonder what would happen to the creature who get flung. Would they hit the other bridge or fly past it?
Either way, it sounds like a lot of fun.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 08:35:45 am »

A few weeks ago I was toying with the idea of an ice cannon.
I dug out and filled a large reservoir and installed a floodgate at the side of the hill. When I pulled the lever the water which was under pressure would move out a few squares and then freeze. Anything within 3 tiles of the cannon would be instantly encased in ice. Truly the greatest weapon known to dwarf.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 08:47:04 am »

Build a hallway at least three tiles wide. Across the floor, build nickel silver hatches, linked with bauxite mechanisms to adjacent pressure plates (also bauxite). Then, have a tunnel under the hallway filled with magma pressurised by a pump and cistern at least one level above the hallway.

Hence, when the gobs invade, the trigger the hatches, which open up and fountain magma up. ;D
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: [1] 2