Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mountainkeep's Funniest Traps.  (Read 2410 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Mountainkeep's Funniest Traps.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 01:36:08 pm »

I would love, personally, to use massive amounts of cage traps to capture every single member of a siege, then put them out in the pasture with a lever, and unleash 5 sieges on my fortress at once.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 01:38:56 pm »

I always capture all the goblins from sieges in cage traps.  From ambushes too.

I then put the cage traps, hooked to a lever, naturally, All around my trade depot.

Elves come in....  but they do not come out.  (their animals, however, usually manage to kick a fairly large amount of goblin butt.   at least 3 Elven camels where named before they all managed to get themselves captured in cage traps again)

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 03:14:32 pm »

Make a long hallway filled with 4/7 water and floodgates on the sides of the hallway.  On the other side of the floodgates are small holding pools filled with war carp.

A truly terrifying trap.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 06:10:20 pm »

I remember someone in a freezing fort made a trap where there was a long exposed tunnel to the fort's entrance, with a flooding trap adjacent to the tunnel. When goblin invaders attempted to enter the fortress, he would activate the flood trap. When the water was exposed to the harsh tundra climate, it instantly froze, producing a significant amount of gobsicles.

He called it "the Degrinchinator."

There's a video of it on the map archives, but I'm too lazy to look for it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 12:46:08 am »

Could... you thaw them out? the water pipe idea sounds awesome, esp if you put a hole at the top and a flood gate with freezing air outside so you could force them to the edge then open the floodgate and have them freeze in mid air and maybe shatter when they hit the ground? or atleast land stunned and get pummeled by ice blocks.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 06:44:12 am »

Nope. Anything encased in ice dies instantly.

I always capture all the sieges, and place them in my giant flooding magma room and hook up the cages. Takes bloody forever, but it's awesome to watch the room fill with smoke as the goblins (And their trash) burns.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 08:57:26 pm »

I guess I just made my fortress entrance into a flushing toilet.
Started with a 3 z-level deep pit that could be flooded and drained from a channel at the bottom into the nearby brook, sealed by grates. Retracting bridges on top, standard pitfall. The problem was that it floods so slowly that enemies could actually learn to swim before the water become deep enough to drown them! I don't want to keep it flooded forever because I've been installing upright spikes in there, and goblin iron needs to come out.
So I made a large water container on top. Slightly smaller than the pit, but 5 z-levels deep. Filled by pumps, it could instantly flood the bottom 2 z-levels of the pit, and leave anything in there stunned and drowning.
So, goblin comes, retract the bridge (lid), flush, and flush again, just like how I treat those dying flies that keep coming into the room at this time of the year. :)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 10:41:16 pm »

Simple thing with water pressure... Imagine making a tower very, very high up, having it be the main route into your fort. Stairs going up and back down minimize the travel time. However, when invaders come, you lock the hatches leading back down, forcing them to take a slight detour through your trade depot... And into the path of your screw pumps, which promptly push them all off the side for a wonderful faux finish of blood on the landscape.

But wait, there's more! For the truely refined dwarven trap conniseur, the drop is only two z-levels. Then a second set of pumps pushes then down two levels further... And another, and another, all the way to the bottom of the map, where a final submersion kills pesky survivors and leaves goblin chunks squeaky-clean.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 10:56:59 pm »

Cat hordes, though they die a lot, I send out the real warriors when they are nearly killed.
It is funny watching the cats getting slaughtered by the foe, they do little damage, but it is funnier to watch the foe die by the horde's futile attacks.

And does the body of tame animals activate pressure plates when they have fallen... about 5 or more z's?

If that works, then does the idea of a sacrificial shrine, which washes the blood down into the abyss to Armok, sound plausible?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:59:29 pm by Foa »

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 12:24:05 am »

I had a great idea, for a fully automated freezerburn trap.

It's been proven that you can melt ice by running magma underneath it.

So, you funnel the invaders onto a single long narrow path. (you need a freezing map) When they get there, hatches and pressure plates drop water onto them, creating gobsicles. when you're done preparing your gobsicles, run magma underneath. While the heating is on, your dorfs scurry out and pick up the narrow stuff to sell the elves.
[sideview]
<gobsicles>
++++++++ (floor)
~~~~~~~~ (magma) (sometimes)

Best of all, the sump from this goes to an obsidian farm. Some artifice may be required to keep the water in the reservoir liquid.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 02:06:07 pm »

I had the idea with a fountain sending the gobbos flying, too. It's a shame, it doesn't work. It would be so incredibly dwarfy!
But to your freezerburn trap, Agent_Irons: Well, it is indeed kind of hard to let the water stay liquid, because floors above the water don't prevent the freezing. A simple (and dwarfy) idea is to carve the trap out of the mountain, because floors that aren't built do prevent freezing.
Pages: 1 [2]