Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Mean Little Men [Succession]  (Read 14624 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mean Little Men [Succession]
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 03:49:38 pm »

whatever, i'll just have ChaoticJosh Jr. take over!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 07:22:49 pm »

I have to start off my turn with one dwarf?  Great.  Just wonderful.  Third turn and we're already close to crumbling to our end.

This will be fun >:D

How do I upload pics?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:10:00 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »

Journal of LegoLord, Evil Genious

22nd Slate, Mid-Spring.
I have arrived at the location of my new hideout.  It seems that the all but one of the previous residents died.  Clearly, the last one is insane.  Keeps babbling about how he “didn’t do it,” whatever “it” is.  At any rate, he should make a good puppet leader.  This seems to be a good area, perfect for my experiments.

The layout here is insane.  Currently, we have a narrow stairwell that you could break your neck tripping on, the workshops are all in clusters away from any stockpiles, and there are cages everywhere.  Not to mention a strange pump contraption that serves no discernable purpose. 

I have convinced that crazy old man, Dresdor, to designate a new workshop area to be dugout.

I have Dresdor has begun work on the improving the defenses.  Afterwards I shall request a personal workshop. 

Where’s the rootbeer in this place?  All there is to drink is beer, wine, and rum, and a lot of it!  I hate that stuff.  Honestly, I don’t know anyone can stand it.  Nevertheless, since the people here like it, it will continue to be produced.  Happy dwarves are unsuspecting dwarves, I always say.

16th Felsite.
Tirist Fissureseal has become a legendary bonecarver!  Apparently she’s been working on some earring made out of turtle bone.  She’s called it “The Enchantment of Waters.”  It’s fairly unexciting thing worth about 3600.  Not particularly useful, but at least there’s someone around with some decent skills now.

18th Hematite
The human caravan arrived.  Unfortunately, one of the hammer men knocked a recently revealed kobald into the new moat.  They won’t go near the stupid thing, even though it’s stuck.  Ah, a marksman just shot it.  We should be able to trade soon.

9th Malachite
I had a jeweler purchase some cloth and leather from the merchants, as Dresdor was too busy with organizing the construction of my quarters.

14th Malachite
More migrants arrived.  Some of the peasants were drafted.  I don’t like having a military right under my nose, but perhaps with enough money I can convince them to keep away from my shop, should they become suspicious, or, better yet, work for me.

20th Malachite
Work has begun on expanding the dining hall.  In other words, we’ve starting digging out a dining hall.  In other news, my quarters are complete, with a rose gold spike on top.  Not the best conductor, but it will do.  Now if I can just get a table . . .

We have struck rock crystal!  And we have sand!  I think I may need a new window for my room.  If we only had magma, we could get a real nice glass industry here.  And I can always find a use for glass, particularly in vial form.

19th Galena
We have produced our first crystal glass item!  It is a window for the tower to my workshop.  Now, if the town’s people decide to attack me after making a monster, I’ll have some warning!

1st Limestone
Autumn has come, which means I shall have to prepare for the caravan’s arrival.  Their guards may recognize me from the mountain homes, and if I were discovered, my plans would be ruined.  Once they have come and gone, I shall focus on the stairwell problem.  Once I have got these dwarves dug in, I can begin working on my evil plan . . .

I've gotten as far as the beginning of Autumn.  I should be able to finish this within a few days.  Sorry there aren't any pictures, I'm still trying to figure that out.  The population made a huge jump after the migrant wave in spring.  By the end of summer, after a second wave, there were about thirty dwarves.  We ain't dead yet, that's for sure.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 02:46:54 am »

Thirty?  Well dang.

The pump is to drain the brook so I could put up floodgates to dam it.  But I ran out of time.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 11:21:23 am »

sign me up

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 11:48:03 am »

Journal of LegoLord, Evil Genius

2nd Limestone
A dyer named Rimtar Tattooswords has started acting very strangely lately.  He has run off to claim a craftdwarf’s shop, and he won’t let anyone in.  It’s not his job, I tell Dresdor, but he says he can’t do anything about it.  I think I may soon have a good test subject.

He’s grabbed a turtle shell and some bauxite and started working on something.  I hope this guy isn’t competition.  There were enough other evil geniuses back at the mountain homes.  This is my turf!

6th Limestone
Thank Armok, he just made a mask, valued at 3600.  But this could be a distraction . . . the competition may have hired him to do that . . . perhaps locking him in a room for a while will get him to talk . . .

9th Limestone
NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!  The caravan is here!  I will have to hide underground for awhile.  I shall claim to be sick and tell Dresdor to tell me of events above ground.  Incidently, they were able to bring their wagons, so at least there will be plenty of goods to trade for.

12th Limestone
Looking out my new window is terrifying.  They brought so many gaurds . . . this may not have been the best choice for a hide out.  Dresdor seems to have delegated the task of trading to a random miner.

13th Limestone
The merchants were uncooperative, so I told the miner to deconstruct the depot immediately.  Hopefully some of their goods will get mixed in with the materials composing the depot.  Serves them right, of course, for forcing to stay in this shelter against my will!!!

Curses!  They’ve packed all their goods!  Oh well, I guess they will have to starve on the new moat.

12th Sandstone
The merchants have succumbed to madness.  Soon we will have all the goods we will need for the winter.  It is now safe for me to come out.

Progress on the new bedrooms and dining room goes well.  The workshops are set up in a way that will allow for easy future expansions.  All the bridges of the moat are complete, each linked up to its own lever.

26th Sandstone
I attempted to use a ballista to destroy the dwarven caravan.  However, due to improper placement and lack of attention, I ended up taking the right arm off of a miner.  Hopefully he’s left-handed.  I shall pin the blame on Dresdor and make another shot at the merchants.

23rd Timber
The Hamlet Liason has gone berserk!  He has attacked two recruits, knocking both unconscious and one winded.  A macaque joined into the fray, miraculously unharmed. For now.

Nevermind, it’s starting to look like that monkey will never walk again.  Oh well, now we have more meat.

The liason has just killed a dog and tossed one of the unconscious recruits, killing him as well.  Upon looking more closely at him (through a telescope, of course) that he is ultra-mighty, unbelievably agile, and superdwarvenly tough.  I think we’re in trouble.

Another recruit joined in, only to be instantaneously knocked unconscious.  Another one soon followed, and managed too last a few moments before the liason jumped away from his previous prey.  The madman’s wounds so far stand at a bruised lower body.

That last recruit is now unconscious.  I hope our hunter shows up soon . . . wait!  Here he is!  But he’s charged at the liaison bare-handed.  Crap.  Now he’s dead.

The liaison’s just killed a jeweler, a dog, and our last recruit.  Now he’s chasing Dresdor.  I think his rampage may be close to an end.  Dresdor may be mad, but he’s an accomplished miner and is legendary with a pen.  Never mind, Dresdor’s unconscious.  It must be an epidemic. 

26th Timber
Saved at last!  After seeing its puppy killed, a mother dog killed the liaison with a lucky blow.  Now that Dresdor is gone, someone will soon need to be promoted to expedition leader, and with that, gain the responsibilities of being the manager, broker, and record keeper.  I hope it’s someone I can put under my influence.  Casualties from the massacre total at eight, not including animals.  Good thing Dresdor’s last act as leader was to have tombs made.

17th Moonstone
An armorer, IronValley (hah!) Cloistersacks, has become the new leader.  To get on his good side, I told him I would take up book keeping duties.  He seemed happy about that.  A woodcutter that stood in for Dresdor once also offered to take the position of broker.  All is well, aside from the fact that I am here.

11th Opal
I have made myself a tomb here, with a crystal glass coffin.  I fear I may not last long here, but this area is my last hope of success.  I must at least have a proper burial.

25th Opal
Mistem Relictrailed, the carpenter, has entered a fey mood!  Perhaps we will get something useful for once.  On a side note, I have begun an extension of my quarters that should allow me to weather a siege from the people.

10th Obsidian
Mistem Relictrailed has created Rulostar (Submergeburies), a birchen door!  On it is an image of that turtle bone earing in birch.  It is valued at 18000.  It’s perfect for my room!

1st Granite
It is now Spring I have spent a whole year here, and now it is time to hide this journal and start a new one.  The extension to my room giving me access to a personal siege workshop is not yet complete, and the artifact door has not yet been installed.  The moat is long finished, as well as the tombs, which now only requires smoothing.  I was recently injured by a tantrumming child.  I shall have a talk with his parents.  I like that kind of person as an underling.  His name is Urvad.  I now bury this journal under the ground that will soon be paved over for my room.

I really thought we were dead when the liaison went berserk.  I have no idea what that dog did to make Armok like it so much, but I'm glad it was there.  Again, sorry there aren't any pictures.  The population now stands at 23.  Oh, and sorry, but your dude died, dresdor.

Edit:  Wait, I've managed to salvage it, just wait a moment.
Here's the save:  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=651
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:40:23 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 02:29:38 pm »

great job.

since legolord brought it up, i don't know how to take a picture of the map file, and i don't know how to use these downloaded saves. a quick explanation by anyone will do.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2008, 05:44:59 pm »

Download DF Map compressor http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/dfmap-index.html
While in game: "Export Local Images" of the Z levels you want to show off.
Open a image using the DF Map Compressor and "compress images to fdf-map file."
Upload fdf map file to http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 05:50:40 pm »

For the save, download the file, extract it (if it's in a .zip file), and place the resulting folder into your "saves" folder of DF.  You can rename it if you want, so that you know which file it is.  The game should then show up in your "Continue Playing" menu.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 05:55:52 pm »

I recommend you rename the folder to "region3" that way when its uploaded to the site it stays in the correct series, (a mistake I made with the first year map)

Current map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3912-bakedfools

Good story and. . . erm. . . weird layout for the fortress. 

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2008, 05:58:15 pm »

What parts are weird?  The moat?
Just so I remember

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2008, 06:11:01 pm »

Or the weird two story structures near the moat.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2008, 06:21:29 pm »

Or the weird two story structures near the moat.
Oh, that's my dude's personal quarters.  The ramp at the top is supposed to be a crude lightning rod.  Then there's a tunnel that would connect it to his personal siege workshop.  That workshop would, in the end, only be accessible from the evil genius' room, once all the walls and ceilings were finished.  Under the bedroom is his personal mechanics shop and training catapult (for boosting his siege operator skill).  There should be walls constructed around the ballista.  The lever in the corner of the room should be linked to a one tile wide bridge that leads to the inside of the structure.  LegoLord would be the only dwarf allowed to use it.  Finally, the artifact birch door was supposed to be used as the entrance.  Incidentally, I had to make "him" a "her", because the dwarf I had originally planned to be me was killed by the berserk liaison.  If someone could figure out how to get her to wear the artifact mask, that'd be awesome.

By the way, I've been playing this fort from where I left off, so I may have given an inaccurate description. 
Oh, and can I have another turn at this, after dresdor?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:26:35 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 07:03:10 pm »

got the save, and currently plotting my turn right now... lets see what we've got ;)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2008, 07:08:26 pm »

got the save, and currently plotting my turn right now... lets see what we've got ;)
You've got something awesome (or soon to be), that's what  :)

I've added some "points of interest" to the DFMA map of Bakedfools, mostly to explain what the deal is with the craziness that is LegoLord's quarters (but not entirely).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:38:18 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13