Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My newest S.I.C.  (Read 1719 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
My newest S.I.C.
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:24:27 pm »

(S.I.C.: Self Imposed Challenge)

I was reading the thread about the immortal, one armed, one legged, blind soapmaker. Then, I was inspired with this fantastic challenge- something that will surely be a challenge unlike any before attempted! It revolves around the fact that Soap comes in bars- which can then be used for construction. Here it is:

-No Pick
-No Axes (or other items for that matter, other than essentials for the lab. Or skills.)
-Soap Only
-Final Desinaaaackimean "On the plains."
as in, no mountains or trees in the way.

The idea is, the only material that you use such as metal, stone or wood, you must get from the caravans and must use as sparingly as possible- the three units of tower-cap from your wagon should go to the construction of a few butcher's shops and kitchens... oh, and somehow an alchemy lab. All construction must be made of soap from the lard of butchered animals. Did you know you can get enough fat off of one kitten to build a 6 foot tall, two foot wide segment of wall? That's a greater volume than that of several whole goblins!

Will anyone else attempt this unmodded excursion into the unknown?  Bonus points if you can come up with a justification as to why hundreds of dwarves would go and live in a giant mound of lard.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My newest S.I.C.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:08:18 pm »

I seen threads from people embarking with the intent to make a soap only fort. But i am not aware if someone really made it.
A huge statue of Armok in soap would be great.

Good Luck.  :)
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:09:29 pm »

you need 1 wood per soap. wood -> ash -> lye, lye+tallow= soap.
you really need a woodcutter.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 07:15:14 pm »

Hmmmmmmmm.... I was afraid of that. Well, this will require yet more careful preparation.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:12:06 pm »

look at your supply chain carefully. you have to make the clear glass and buckets on site. at a minimum, you need an active sand collection zone, 2 bags of sand (the same bag can be re-used, hopefully, but you know how dwarves are). 2 pearlash and 2 charcoal you can bring with you.

so, your carpenter makes at least 2 buckets- 1 for the ashery, 1 for the lye transport. you need barrels as well, but you can bring those. best to make at least 1 bed, to better control your dwarves.

next, 1 stone makes a glass furnace, you collect a sand, use a charcoal+pearlash to make a raw clear glass, then the 2nd coal+pearlash to make it into vials. once this is done, you wont neccesarily need the glass furnace.

the 3 vials and a stone/wood make the alchemists lab. a barrel, bucket(from the carpenter), and block make the ashery. a stone for the wood furnace(recycled from glass furnace perhaps?).

you need to keep running the kitchen, butchers, wood burner, ashery, and alchemists. you should also have a farmers workshop, a loom, a clothiers, and a brewery. a carpenter for barrels and bins is a good idea. and a depot of course. thats about a dozen building materials youll need to bring along.

get a couple farms up and running. 1 for berries year round, one for rope reed year round, and one for dyes. rode reed can be a great source of trade goods.

put yourself on a map with trees, sand, and a river. bring along some breeding animals- dogs are a good choice for the military angle.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:42:26 pm »

You could probably skip the farming - you'll want a whole bunch of animals for the soap anyways, and there's no reason they can't bring your food source.

Lately, I haven't been bothering with a food/drink source at all - I've just been requesting every caravan bring all the foods and drinks, and some stone (for weight distribution. This is my mythbusting fort, so the only thing I bother to trade is statues).

Its not all that difficult to live on imported food till you get a whole lot of dwarves.

A kitchen to make the drinks into emergency food might be reccomended though. It should obviously be made out of soap.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »

"Ewww, this food tastes clean!"
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 09:55:59 pm »

You don't need to make the raw clear glass first in order to make vials.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:34:44 am »

You don't need to make the raw clear glass first in order to make vials.

True dat. Raw glass is a chunk of 'gem'. You can just make the vials straight from the sand and pearlash.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 12:49:04 am »

And there is another problem - your lye will be made into buckets. And to make soap you'll need lye in barrels. And noone knows hot to transfer anything from bucket to a barrel, except the traders, who import lye in barrels.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 02:43:20 am »

Did you know you can get enough fat off of one kitten to build a 6 foot tall, two foot wide segment of wall? That's a greater volume than that of several whole goblins!
Obviously, they melt the soap, and then blow it full of bubbles.  A soap wall is mostly air, trapped within a miraculously thin, iridescent matrix of soap.  Dwarves are master craftsmen indeed!
Okay, so it's really just a weird artifact of the way soap is a bar, but wouldn't that be cool?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 02:03:48 pm »

(S.I.C.: Self Imposed Challenge)

I was reading the thread about the immortal, one armed, one legged, blind soapmaker.

Hic... *cry*

IM SO PROUD!!!
SOAPY YOU WILL LIVE ON!!!

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 02:31:18 pm »

Imo, i wouldn't bother with plants at all.

Millions of animal pits
Food you get from butchering the animals
Leather you get from Tanners
Bags you get from leather
Crafts you get from bones
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 01:06:50 am »

So far, so good! I have made a useful discovery; animals produce, not one unit of soap, but several! This means ONE horse can be used to build a twenty-five foot long wall- that is impenetrable to magma. This will be a fun game!

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 07:51:56 am »

I thought of Super Iimaginative Chogokin when I saw the title....
Well, to SICify HFSs would be cool.
Pages: [1] 2