Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]  (Read 1464 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question on [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

I'm making a few new races to spice up my DF and had a question about the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] token. When it isn't applied will creature only drink water in Fortress mode or will the still drink alcohol if it's around just without the bad thought if it's not around?

Also a kinda related question. Is there any way to turn off the cancle job: dangerous terrain pathfinding in a Fortress mode in order to make a flying civ workable or  is that to hardcoded?

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Question on [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 06:35:44 pm »

1)  They will drink alcohol without that tag.  I've done it before and the guys I made still prefer alcohol.

2)  Flying playable civs will not work, it is hardcoded, but I believe Toady said at some point that he would work on that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 06:42:22 pm »

It's worth noting that there is still a gameplay advantage to providing booze for a non alcohol dependent race - although they will not work slower without booze, nor will they get bad thoughts about not having booze, they will wait until they are very thirsty before they drink water, and drop whatever they are doing when they drink. If you provide them alcohol, they will to the usual extent try to drink between jobs instead of interrupting a job, and they will not get a "was thirsty lately" bad thought.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:43:15 pm »

I'm fairly sure my dwarves drop what they're doing to get a drink. It just means they'll wait longer before drinking at the cost of a bad thought

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:01:26 pm »

The big advantage of booze over water is: Booze can generate a good thought, and water can't.

Plus, drinking non-well water can generate a negative thought, and it's much easier to build a still than a well.  Seriously, it usually takes my first year or more to set up a well in some cases.

Chaz Turbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 08:18:09 pm »

I thought water can provide a good thought indirectly by setting up dwarves to admire a well with high quality.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 11:38:05 pm »

since blocks have no well-craftedness feature about the only way you can get a "well-built" well is if you have a really good architect or if you have a really sweet rope and bucket.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 03:03:44 am »

since blocks have no well-craftedness feature about the only way you can get a "well-built" well is if you have a really good architect or if you have a really sweet rope and bucket.

Don't forget the mechanisms!  And blocks have material value modifiers.  With that many components, you shouldn't have trouble getting at least ONE high-quality component.