Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crazy Ideas Thread.  (Read 1434 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Crazy Ideas Thread.
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:58:52 pm »

If your like me you spend alot of time thinking during boring periods, alot of the time about DF, so I command thee! Post your Insane project idea's that you'd love to try sometimes.

One of my recent ideas.

Dwarven "Battery*

This would basicly use a system like a dam to pump a bunch of water from a lower resevevoir into an upper one, which would have a sort of drainage system that would drain the top resevoir into a channel which would spin back around into the bottom resevoir, and along this channel thered be a series of water wheels that converts power out of this.

Sort of like
Code: [Select]
+~~~++WW+           + = Walls   
+~~~X~~~~          ~ = Water  W = Waterwheel
+++++++++~          X = Floodgate
+~~~~~~~~
+~~~++++++
++++++

Yeah probably wouldn't work or would overflow or something dwarvenly, and wouldn't be all that usefull.  :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Ideas Thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:00:06 pm »

Sounds like a dwarven perpetual motion machine to me.

They work very well.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:03:04 pm »

Sounds like a dwarven perpetual motion machine to me.

They work very well.

Yeah, but it'd be more, fill the top resevoir, bugger off for awhile till you actually need the power then open the floodgate.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:10:55 pm »

I have an idea.  Build and obsidian tower.  Inside your magma pipe.  All the way to the bottom of it.  And have farms in it.  This obviously requires a pipe with a natural roof.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:32:25 pm »

Make a nuclear reactor, with water, uranium core, and lead walls.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:39:24 pm »

I have an idea.  Build and obsidian tower.  Inside your magma pipe.  All the way to the bottom of it.  And have farms in it.  This obviously requires a pipe with a natural roof.

There was a thread about that a while back.  I'd post the link if I could find it.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:49:04 pm »

Here's a crazy idea...A giant cave spider farm. Occasionally toss down puppies for them to shoot webs at, and when it comes time to harvest the webs, lock the spiders up and go down for harvesting. It can be insane depending on the nature of harvesting...(e.g. I dunno if giant cave spiders can shoot through bars or fortifications, because if they could one could essentially use floodgates to keep them from shooting your harvesters).

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:03:22 pm »

Someone mentioned that a while back.

Build a room with bars on one side, channel past the bars. Make a bridge over the channel, place a bait in the room and open a different side to the GCS, make sure you're able to lock the room.

Before you open it to the GCS, finish the bars, cross the channel, and withdraw the bridge. When you need webs, let the bridge go across and station a recruit on the bridge until enough webs have been shot through the bars.

Of course you also need a way to seal off the bars so you can go collect he webs.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 07:58:32 pm »

Make a nuclear reactor, with water, uranium core, and lead walls.

With a little modding, that would be awesome if Toady ever decides to put a steam-engine-type power source in (yeah, right).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 09:02:57 pm »

How about a autonomous self-regulating resevoir-well system quite a few z levels below a infinite water source. Maybe using a channel to a chasm over it, as a security measure to allow emptying it at first, to test it and see if works.

Also, a not very crazy idea, but curious if anything done it already: A all livestock map. Maybe a starting location where crops cannot be grown or something as such.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 09:54:04 pm »

All-livestock would not work for very long, since alcohol is an utter necessity. If you want to go pure carnivore for food, you can do it, sure, but don't expect dwarves to take sobriety kindly...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 09:55:49 pm »

Can a fortress run on imported alcohol only? I mean, is it feasible, or the costs for this are too big?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 10:01:29 pm »

What if the caravan doesn't carry alcohol...otherwise, as long as you export enough stuff to afford alcohol...

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 11:09:15 pm »

Persuade Uwe Boll to make the DF movie.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 11:27:06 pm »

What if the caravan doesn't carry alcohol...otherwise, as long as you export enough stuff to afford alcohol...

There's crazy, then there's psychotic...why would you even suggest this?
Pages: [1] 2