Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifact help  (Read 1899 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact help
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:53:48 pm »

Ok, I've yet to have a decent artifact weapon. The two I've created are: one crossbow, and one blowpipe.
I play in adventure mode, so what I'm looking for is a way to populate a world with artifact weapons reliably. I tried Dwarf Companion for this, and never got it working, and it even broke IE (best thing that's ever happened tho,) so that's out.
Any suggestions using any amount of modding, really no holds barred, on creating a fortress with guaranteed artifact weapon crafting?

Problem #2: I can't get bins to work! I tried to put down an artifact stockpile in a bin, to find them later, only the damn humans never put a bin in the stockpile! Max bins is set from 1 to 4. In fact, they never used any of the four bins in any stockpile! Is there a missing job, or is this just human fault?

My aim is to equip legendary adventurers with worthy weapons. Can ya help a guy out?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:01:24 pm »

Have a really long-lived fort with adamantine.  It's the only way.  DC can't do much with artifacts last I heard, anyway.  Or you could mod in fake artifacts.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51:25 am »

Set all your dwarves to have the weaponsmithing/armorsmithing job. It won't guarantee it, but whenever a dwarf gets a "Withdraws" or a "Fey Mood" they typically make an item related to their active jobs. When they get a "Possessed" they'll make anything (and get no skill points from doing so).

Other than that, no there's no way to positively guarantee artifact weapons.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:57:16 am »

Set all your dwarves to have the weaponsmithing/armorsmithing job. It won't guarantee it, but whenever a dwarf gets a "Withdraws" or a "Fey Mood" they typically make an item related to their active jobs. When they get a "Possessed" they'll make anything (and get no skill points from doing so).

Other than that, no there's no way to positively guarantee artifact weapons.

Close: what you want to do is give all the dwarves without mood skills dabbling level in armoring or weaponsmithing.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:53:57 am »

Er, right, yeah. Totally what I meant to say.  ;D
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 12:21:17 pm »

Thanks for that link! I had no idea that i was setting up my legendary miner to fail.
I guess my only option is to have every civillian craft one wepon.

I'm playing as humans, however, and can't get them to use bins. Are they missing a job in the raws? And will artifacts even stay put in them upon abandonment?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:37:50 pm »

Thanks for that link! I had no idea that i was setting up my legendary miner to fail.
I guess my only option is to have every civillian craft one wepon.

I'm playing as humans, however, and can't get them to use bins. Are they missing a job in the raws? And will artifacts even stay put in them upon abandonment?

In my experience, artifacts DO stay in bins on abandon -- the bug is that when you grab it out of the bin, it creates a copy, so now there's one artifact in the bin and one in your hand.

No idea why your humans won't use bins, though.  Can they not make them, or do they just not place items in them?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 01:01:10 pm »

They won't place bins in stockpiles, even when I have 4 available and max bins is set to 1-4. I noticed an option for designated bins on + - something like that but it doesn't do anything.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:05:54 pm »

They won't place bins in stockpiles, even when I have 4 available and max bins is set to 1-4. I noticed an option for designated bins on + - something like that but it doesn't do anything.

Do you have a furniture stockpile? I think maybe empty bins don't register properly until they're moved to a furniture stockpile.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 04:20:23 pm »

Both in and out of a stockpile with no avail. I've since abandoned, but I'll be starting a new world and fortress, where hopefully things work out.
I'm gonna copy paste dwarf jobs just to be safe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 08:19:53 pm »

On a side note: If that Crossbow is made of a particularly good material it becomes MORE then good enough to replace many of the weapons as a melee weapon alone. (with the added bonus of being able to fire its overpowered shots)

Let me see here... 1 x 2 = 2
.5 x 5 = 2.5

Even a wooden/bone/shell/ugh crossbow is better then a masterword iron crossbow and SLIGHTLY worse then Steel.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »

Actually, artifact crossbows affect nothing but the melee damage, IIRC.
Last I heard, the bolts are what decide the ranged stuff.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 11:43:18 pm »

Actually, artifact crossbows affect nothing but the melee damage, IIRC.
Last I heard, the bolts are what decide the ranged stuff.
Which is why the crossbow is the second worst weapon artifact. Only followed by the blowpipe. Which I also ended up with :(

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 12:02:06 am »

I'm pretty sure weapon quality boosts the skill of the user.  So someone wielding an artifact crossbow will do more damage, because they will have a higher effective skill when using it.  They'll also shoot faster.

I think, anyway.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 02:18:40 am »

I'm pretty sure weapon quality boosts the skill of the user.  So someone wielding an artifact crossbow will do more damage, because they will have a higher effective skill when using it.  They'll also shoot faster.

I think, anyway.
I support this thought. But it technically is useless as by the time a champion gets to wield it, he is already legendary.
Pages: [1] 2