Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are you a Heretic?  (Read 5146 times)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Are you a Heretic?
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:42:13 pm »

was musing to myself the other day, and thought that here might be a good place to ask, given the amount of random but interesting debate that goes through here, I thought there might be some like-minded heretics out there.

I'm particularly interested in cosmology / space-time, and in trying to understand it, I've been through the basics of commonly accepted knowledge and find it.... lacking. I've been reading various fringe stuff, quietly integrating and piecing together my own version of space and time, although I still haven't integrated a lot of things, I'm vaguely happy that I at least understand the framework now, and in my opinion, although the scientific community is starting to ask more questions, it isn't really asking the kind of multi-ology questions that need to be asked.

Do you think there's something wrong with the state of science today?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a Heretic?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:00:38 pm »

c'mon, give em a few thousand years and a few AI, it's not like we cant wait...

..oh right, you're mortal.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:01:39 pm »

So you're making up your own nonsensical pseudo-scientific cosmology based on bits and pieces of writings by superstitious ancients and tinfoil-hatters and want us to affirm you

am I right or wrong here
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:55:03 pm »

Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:43:18 pm »

Vicomt - What high level astrophysics degrees do you have that make your pseudo science acceptable?

Jude - You're right.

Lemnx - You're also right.

Armok - You're right, too. I think.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:10:53 pm »

I think all your answers lie within this page:

http://www.timecube.com/
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:32:38 pm »

What a spaz.
Shoes...

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:41:52 pm »

in all sincerity i'm guessing the reason you're finding the basic theories of the cosmos as lacking is because they have been reduced to an easily explained level for public consumption, and while I enjoy speculating and bullshitting about the universe, don't get caught up inside the rationale of your own theories like the time cube guy.  You'll probably find more satisfaction pursuing an understanding of the non-dumbed-down theories, and are less likely to drive yourself nuts.

p.s. What i mean by dumbed down is like how we're taught in primary school that electrons orbit the nucleus in those nice little two dimensional rings.  It gets the concepts across in an easy to understand way, but it isn't necessarily accurate.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 08:47:11 pm »

Or  that respiration is a simple 4/5 part equation... *shudder*
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 08:49:56 pm »

Put the first letter of your signature back in Vactor. Then the mysteries of the universe will be unlocked.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 08:52:51 pm »

Put the first letter of your signature back in Vactor. Then the mysteries of the universe will be unlocked.

I bear that missing letter as a badge of pride, a scar left upon me from the great forum migrations of bygone times

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 03:41:42 am »

So you're making up your own nonsensical pseudo-scientific cosmology based on bits and pieces of writings by superstitious ancients and tinfoil-hatters and want us to affirm you

am I right or wrong here

You're wrong. Inherently, I'm attempting not to judge or promote any specific rationale, just trying to understand.
My problem is currently, that there are some bits of currently accepted wisdom that rest on foundations I cannot countenance. Post Einstein-ian science is so wrapped up in creating virtual models that attempt to describe what we see, that it doesn't question its own roots.

For example, lets take Magnetism. A well understood scientific branch? we understand its effects pretty well, but we still cannot explain the mechanism by which it operates.

I do not have any formal higher scientific accreditations, I do not seek them, but I do believe that anyone with a critical mind should question what they are told. Blind acceptance is Faith, not Science.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 04:36:00 am »

I am a heretic, religion confuses "scientist" with "baby killer". Degree level physics here

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 01:06:29 pm »

am I right or wrong here

You're wrong. Inherently, I'm attempting not to judge or promote any specific rationale, just trying to understand.
My problem is currently, that there are some bits of currently accepted wisdom that rest on foundations I cannot countenance. Post Einstein-ian science is so wrapped up in creating virtual models that attempt to describe what we see, that it doesn't question its own roots.

For example, lets take Magnetism. A well understood scientific branch? we understand its effects pretty well, but we still cannot explain the mechanism by which it operates.

I do not have any formal higher scientific accreditations, I do not seek them, but I do believe that anyone with a critical mind should question what they are told. Blind acceptance is Faith, not Science.

I'm gonna roll the dice and assume you're not the first one to question these things and that people who know way more about science than you do have also questioned them and come up with satisfactory answers
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 02:47:33 pm »

I'm gonna roll the dice and assume you're not the first one to question these things and that people who know way more about science than you do have also questioned them and come up with satisfactory answers

If you think you can find a peer reviewed and accepted paper detailing the basis of the mechanics of magnetism, I'll tip my hat to you... considering places like discover magazine are running articles like this one http://discovermagazine.com/2008/may/02-three-words-that-could-overthrow-physics
Pages: [1] 2