Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Funnest' biome  (Read 1674 times)

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
'Funnest' biome
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:02:36 am »

Where do you set up if you want to have the most 'fun' with the wild life? Give your opinions!
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

popers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Funnest' biome
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:07:33 am »

I laugh my arse off every time I see skeletal-ducks and zombie-swans. It's Legendary Lands mod, though...  :)
It's not like I haven't tried, but building a mech out of bridges may be a tad above my engineering skill.

NCarter

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling body parts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nether.org.uk/
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:45:12 am »

I've been experimenting with beach locations with terrifying sea on one side and joyous wilds forest on the other.  That way you can have hordes of zombie fish crawling around on the shore and herds of unicorns stalking the land.  Since zombie fish can walk on land and usually turn up in huge numbers when they eventually appear, things can get pretty hairy, especially in the first few years.

Also, zombie whales. :o

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:09:45 am »

I prefer to play on maps with haunted/terrifying surroundings.  :)

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:18:03 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25749.0

Apparently, it involved two biomes that froze at different times, and a waterfall.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:48:25 am »

There's nothing like a nice terrifying swamp. It's a lot of fun trying to pierce a three-layer aquifer when you're constantly harassed by beak dogs and harpies.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:24:36 pm »

I would like to settle in some Savage + Evil mountains, boarded by Savage + Evil Temperate Forest.

Undead Giant Eagles and all the frickin' zombies and Skeletons you can imagine.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:35:29 pm »

my first time i settled on a "haunted" biome, i had a river with a 7 z-level water fall, and a glacier. in the "view biome", i had all the way to F6. it was also desert right beside the glacier, mountainos with a chasm between the haunts and the desert, and a small bridge from the previos inhabitants inside the chasm. i didn't know goblins could build bridges. but the waterfall was onto the bridge, and the goblins were all dead from the undead carp wandering around.

i didn't last long. and since losing is fun... i tried reclaiming it. oh, what fun.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:14:49 pm »

I had quite a lot of fun in a good mountain valley bordering an evil forest. I remember being under constant siege by gnomes who'd spend all year stealthing up to my fortress and stealing my stuff, while zombies and skeletons did their usual swarm tactics. Not a very dangerous place, but I was kept busy defending my supplies all the time.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:32:12 pm »

I've been experimenting with beach locations with terrifying sea on one side and joyous wilds forest on the other.  That way you can have hordes of zombie fish crawling around on the shore and herds of unicorns stalking the land.  Since zombie fish can walk on land and usually turn up in huge numbers when they eventually appear, things can get pretty hairy, especially in the first few years.

Also, zombie whales. :o
I've been playing on quite a few terrifying (and other) ocean maps by now. But as far as I could tell no new fish would ever appear. They were either already there waiting for me or not there during the whole lifetime of the fortress.

Can someone confirm wheather new groups of fish actually can enter the area during play? I haven't seen it, but surely I could be wrong.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:33:08 pm »

I did once have a "terryfying" glacier area. I was constantly harrased by skelatal polar bears and werewolves. Oddly enough, goblins thought it was some sort of city of gold, because I always got messages of "goblin master thief has frozen to death!". Good times.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 07:41:20 pm »

Try a terrifying ocean/desert...
Zombie camels and skeletal whales.
AND NO WOOD.
Its horrible.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:40:26 pm »

I typically go for 'anything with magma, running water, and as evil as I can get. Adamantine a plus.'. Generally I wind up crying myself to sleep after my set-up gets harassed by a zombie giant eagle or something less pleasant, but eh.

I have to say my favorite would be cold, relatively flat areas. ie, mountains bordering on a tundra or something. I don't know why, but things being flat just feels better, and having to deal with ice now and then (or year round) is always fun. I once had a fort that (while being rather hilly) had a brook that started and ended on the same map, presumably frozen since shortly after the dawn of time. Much fun was had with the joys of the magma a Z-level down cooling sufficiently to let the brook above re-freeze, and then water pressure meeting my cistern.

Sometime after that I tried a 'bandit fortress' of humans, wherein I discovered the joys of building above ground. Of course, I also discovered what bad news fireimps in a forest can be when a wildfire burned down my doors and then everything within my keep. But that reinforces my idea of flat is beautiful, because it'd be that much more awesome to do it with rocks in the frigid north/south/whatever-end-of-the-world-map-has-the-goodies.

But, really, anything with fairly tame skeletons is a hoot just because even your lowly resident soapmakers can go to town and fling groundhog/elk bones all over the place.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:05:33 pm »

Elks can be pretty badass though...

In my current fortress (I'm keeping immigrants capped at around 20 (why does that leave me with 35 of them by the way?) a giant bat thing went on a rampage (it entered from an underground chasm when one of my dwarves was dumping some elven chunks. It went straight into my fortress killing my 12 wrestlers (well 3 fell into a volcano trying to dodge it and one fell down a chasm) with some minor injuries (and a poked out eye (causing it to go unconscious every few seconds). Still it didn't stop it from chasing down another 10 or so dwarves (including my newly elected mayor who seem to want nothing more than crystal glass) and a few guard dogs (and other unimportant lifeforms).
Finally one dwarf ran outside and the giant bat went after and right into a conveniently placed weapons trap.

It was fun while it lasted, but it'll be hell to get things up and running again. Luckily my dwarves aren't getting enough time to party all day so the tantrums have kinda been dealt with (only 3 or so deaths).  I'm not going to leave this awesome site just yet, there should be some HfS to deal with too.  ;D

edit: In other words, chasms are awesome while they last, and I can't wait until they start repopulating again.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:07:08 pm by snelg »
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 04:17:02 pm »

For raw number of things to kill, I go for a Chasm/Underwater River/Magma Vent combination...preferably with sand as well. I currently am in such a place, that's loaded with ratmen, batmen, and giant swallowmen, goats, marmots, imps, etc.