Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: More Animal Behaviors  (Read 8376 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Re: More Animal Behaviors
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 05:15:30 am »

In addition to dolphin and whale songs, the ability for particular birds to sing or even talk would be entertaining...e.g. for animals like parrots to be able to have social skills/give wisecracks.
"Yo mamma was an elf"

Additionally, pixies/fairies could use some more uniqueness about them aside from just flying around...pixie-dust as a collectable material maybe?

You should be able to talk to the parrots in adventure mode
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:47:06 am »

There is a [CAN_SPEAK] tag, as used for most ____men, but it's not parroting. Maybe [CAN_MIMIC]?

Also, last night I was bubbling some more ideas that lean more towards supernatural creature properties; they might not belong here, but that can be fixed later.

[SPAWNONSEVER] - Causes a body part to spawn a creature (or object, or liquid?) when it is severed from the body. Could be used to interesting effect on, say, Hydras.

[SEVERONDEATH:KILLED/EXPIRE] - Similar to [SEVERONBREAK]; causes the entire body to shatter when killed (or when it expires - see below), much like skeletons. When used in conjuncture with [SPAWNONSEVER], could be used to make a creature which dissolves into a great quantity of mist or vermin... or smaller fighting creatures if you feel really, really sadistic.

[TIMEDLIFE] - To be used with the above two. If one wanted to have Hydra heads spawn as seperate creatures upon being severed, this could make them more temporary. Would also be a way to make a Phoenix by creating a tertiary "egg" creature that spawns a new Phoenix upon expiration, but not on death.

[HOWL/ROAR] - For use on wolves, werewolves and such. Uses code similar to the [SINGER]; the far distance will give dwarves and unsettling thought (unhappy - minor fear?) while the closer range will terrify them if they are not particularly brave.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:57:00 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:28 pm »

the [SINGER] tag would be good as it could be used to absolutely piss off the tantruming dwarves in jail if you put one with bad singing in a cage
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 04:41:37 pm »

the [SINGER] tag would be good as it could be used to absolutely piss off the tantruming dwarves in jail if you put one with bad singing in a cage

Well, that would be more "insanity through fear" than "pissing off".

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 05:47:26 pm »

[NEST_BUILDER: MATERIAL] Animal constructs nests out of the given material, stealing it from the local environs; their young congregate there, and eggs are placed there. Said nest is destroyed annually
It should probably be more than one year for the sturdier/bigger materials such as wooden logs.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 06:24:19 pm »

[NEST_BUILDER: MATERIAL] Animal constructs nests out of the given material, stealing it from the local environs; their young congregate there, and eggs are placed there. Said nest is destroyed annually
It should probably be more than one year for the sturdier/bigger materials such as wooden logs.

Well, that might be true. Perhaps.

Another one:

[WALLCLIMBER] - Effectively gains Flying while in the vicinity of a wall. Needs grasper limbs to climb. Would be utterly horrifying if added to chasm creatures or - heaven forbid - Giant Cave Spiders.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 06:38:10 pm »

Naturally when mounts become implemented, the ability for climbing creatures to carry troops into battle would be most evil. Imagine the Goblin forces using spider-riders to scale your walls, or attain prime sniper positions.

On another note, I would like to see creature-morphing. E.g. Caterpillar->Cocoon->butterfly, or tadpole-frog, etc.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 07:20:23 pm »

Naturally when mounts become implemented, the ability for climbing creatures to carry troops into battle would be most evil. Imagine the Goblin forces using spider-riders to scale your walls, or attain prime sniper positions.

On another note, I would like to see creature-morphing. E.g. Caterpillar->Cocoon->butterfly, or tadpole-frog, etc.

Yeah creature morphing would be awesome to have. Hell we could mod in Dracula even!  ;D

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 08:41:56 pm »

To some extent, there is that with baby->child->adult, but there definitely ought to be this. Maybe it'd be the way to add eggs!

[BABY_CREATURE:(creature entry)] - children are this creature entry.
[NEXT_CREATURE:(creature entry):AGE] - changes into this creature after the given number of years.
[DEATH_AGE] - Years until death. Might overlap with [TIMED_LIFE] if the value scaling was open enough to span from minutes to years.

This could also be used to simulate animal aging; I.E. egg -> dragon whelp -> drake -> dragon -> elder dragon -> wyrm -> elder wyrm -> old age.

An [EGG] tag to make creatures effective objects would be a good idea, as well.

Mammals could keep the current system, since they are far less prone to bizzare mutations; you could combine the two to have aged versions of any given animal (like old dogs, old cats)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:46:13 pm by Warlord255 »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 11:05:15 pm »

i see a problem with the [SEVERONDEATH:KILLED/EXPIRE] and[SPAWNONSEVER] tags.they could be used to make the creature spawn itself when killed. even the [SPAWNONSEVER] tag by itself could do that.

meh...

Urist McAxedwarf cancels fight: interupted by airborn Self Replicating Slime Beast.

put [IGNITEPOINT:0] on the thing, and you've got instant world destruction.

also:

[LEAP:<number>] simmilar to [CANFLY], the creature can leap up so many z levels, making stairs useless, and survive that many z levels of fall without stunning themselves.

[HOSTBODY:<number>:<number>] instead of [BODY:<body type(s)>], this creature will inhabit another creatures body, and as such does not need many tags, as any tags it has will replace it's host's tags, and it will use any other tag's it's host has. also ignores [CHILD] tags in the sense that it will not breed. instead, it will try to 'infect' other host bodies, in wrestling. the numbers are the odds that any wresling move will infect the (potential) host. Zombies, parasitic wasps, and Dracula.

[HOSTIMMUNE] is immune to hosting other creatures by the above [HOSTBODY] tag.

[liTTERSECOND:<creature type>:<number>:<number>] when a litter is born, it will include a second type of creatures in the litter. like, Orcs bread, a litter is born of 1 or 2 orcs and up to 10 goblins in one game i've played. so goblins in that game are the orcs farmers, slaves, and war-fodder, were as the orcs are warriors.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 11:22:34 pm »

[WATER_JUMP] Swimming creatures will jump out of the water, creating a splash. Could be applied to magma swimmers for some scary results...
Yes.  Of everything mentioned on this thread thus far, this should have top priority.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:06:14 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 11:31:13 pm »

Maybe [SPAWNONSEVER:X], where X is a percentage chance of spawning or a set number of times it can spawn, sorta like the slimes from Ultima 5.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 11:41:22 pm »

i see a problem with the [SEVERONDEATH:KILLED/EXPIRE] and[SPAWNONSEVER] tags.they could be used to make the creature spawn itself when killed. even the [SPAWNONSEVER] tag by itself could do that.

meh...

Urist McAxedwarf cancels fight: interupted by airborn Self Replicating Slime Beast.

put [IGNITEPOINT:0] on the thing, and you've got instant world destruction.

EXACTLY.

You could still kill it by chasming, of course. And, for balanced/fortress-acceptable creatures, more moderate usages (Phoenix, hydra heads, etc.) would be perfectly fine.

I like the Host idea - maybe use a variant of that to do something with vermin? Fleas?

Leap ought to be used for horizontal distance, as well, so you can have moat-leapers or jumping toads.

Littersecond, if nothing else, would be perfect for MALE/FEMALE designated creatures. A [MATES_WITH:(creature)] tag would accompany this as well.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 07:35:30 am »

Imagine one that made nests out of steel bars. The fortress of Doom for a Iron Man

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 09:06:23 am »

[WATER_JUMP] Swimming creatures will jump out of the water, creating a splash. Could be applied to magma swimmers for some scary results...
Yes.  Of everything mentioned on this thread thus far, this should have top priority.
Come on, people
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5