Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: More Animal Behaviors  (Read 8380 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: More Animal Behaviors
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 12:52:27 am »

On the subject of the supernatural and unusual:

[COLDBREATH] - Unlike fire breath, which is a projectile, cold breath would be a blue mist that bursts from the creature in an arc. Said mist would stun creatures and freeze water.

[FREEZEIMMUNE] - The creature cannot be frozen in ice; if an ice tile tries to create itself on top of the creature, it is not created.

[TEMPAURA] - The creature radiates its fixed temperature in an aura around it, one square in every direction. This would be an interesting way to improve the [IMMOLATE] tag beyond fire, or to make a more moderate version that wilts grass (if that is added)

[HOVER] - The creature can fly 1 square off the ground.

[TONGUE:#] - For Giant Toads and Tentacle Demons. The creature shoots out a long, pink strand (represented below) which grabs a dwarf or object and pulls it toward them.

Code: [Select]
.T-------o0.

Code: [Select]
............   ............
.T..........   .T.........
...........   ..........
...|........   ..........
...........   ..........
.....|......   ..........
...........   ..........
......o.....   ........o..

If, by some split-second chance of attack, the tongue is severed, it coils up into a pink @ called "# ___ tongue meat" where the # is how many segments got severed.

TempAura would also be cool for purposes of freezing stuff as well...(e.g. a caged ice elemental and a single-cell room filled with water would give an ice cube generator)...

I really want to say that TempAura could be used for a "lake walker" which would create an ice bridge as it moves, but the ice would melt, causing the supporting ice to collapse and (if it had FREEZEIMMUNE) trap it underwater forever. With Hover, though, it could certainly pull a nice trick.

I still want to see what happens if I make a creature with leather with an immensely negative core temperature and throw it into the water.
I think if Toady implements [TONGUE:#], he should be able to make harpoons ( with ropes, for general fishing/fish hunting ) .

Or vice versa? :P Same code, either way. Good thinking.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 01:25:42 am »

[UNSTOPPABLE]

Will not flee from nearby dwarves/creatures. Good for improving the effects of the [CURIOUSBEAST] tags.

I feel compelled to point out that the NOFEAR tag already exists.  Don't know if its behavior is as you describe, though.

There are lots of good ideas in this thread.  My main concern is that each of these is essentially an independent AI behavior -- making the game reconcile and prioritize those could get extremely difficult as the number of behaviors grows.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 02:41:52 am »

[UNSTOPPABLE]

Will not flee from nearby dwarves/creatures. Good for improving the effects of the [CURIOUSBEAST] tags.

I feel compelled to point out that the NOFEAR tag already exists.  Don't know if its behavior is as you describe, though.

There are lots of good ideas in this thread.  My main concern is that each of these is essentially an independent AI behavior -- making the game reconcile and prioritize those could get extremely difficult as the number of behaviors grows.

On the NOFEAR, I only suggest the "UNSTOPPABLE" tag because NOFEAR failed to make my serial guzzlers into the hellbent unstoppable beer-swilling, dwarf-murdering animal siege I intended, after extensive attempts.

And as far as behaviours, I leave that to Toady.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 02:49:01 am »

I really want to say that TempAura could be used for a "lake walker" which would create an ice bridge as it moves, but the ice would melt, causing the supporting ice to collapse and (if it had FREEZEIMMUNE) trap it underwater forever. With Hover, though, it could certainly pull a nice trick.

But ice is lighter than liquid water anyway - you could do a lake walker by fixing this (have disconnected low-density platforms on water drift around rather than collapsing). Or just have the lake-walker freeze all the way down to the bottom instead of making a floor, just like the night/winter does not (did I mention that bodies of water freezing is broken?)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 05:59:57 am »

But ice is lighter than liquid water anyway - you could do a lake walker by fixing this (have disconnected low-density platforms on water drift around rather than collapsing). Or just have the lake-walker freeze all the way down to the bottom instead of making a floor, just like the night/winter does not (did I mention that bodies of water freezing is broken?)

Drifting ice would likely need to take into account moving platforms, programming which the game does not yet support.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2008, 07:55:20 am »

Actually, I believe that natural ice walls already float by a glitch.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2008, 01:50:15 pm »

Drifting ice would likely need to take into account moving platforms, programming which the game does not yet support.

Yeah, but it's definitely planned. (see: siege towers)

Clockworktortoise

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2008, 05:13:27 pm »

I'd just like to mention that everything about this thread is awesome.

Not only is this stuff great for animal behavior and so on, it would improve other parts of the game. For example, sieges would be much, much more difficult if trolls had terrifying battlecries and goblins could capture dwarven prisoners. Especially if they killed the prisoners a while after capturing them, so that you'd have to lead rescue missions to retrieve your legendary miner.

Anyway, so that this post is at least partially constructive, you should be able to have separate tags for each gender of the creature. i.e. bulls with horns, female GCSs being larger than males, etc.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 07:27:46 am »

Awesome. Posted in the Eternal Suggestion voting.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 07:50:40 am »

I'd like some interesting friendly behaviours in animals. What if unicorns actually liked to chill out with the chicks instead of attacking them on sight (yeah, I'm a big fan of the last unicorn):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What if dwarves could play fetch with dogs?

And while this adds nothing but a bit of flavor, I just liked the idea that with some creatures you'd occasionally see;
 "The [creature] bites you playfully in the upper arm... It flies off in a bloody arc".

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 09:07:28 am »

Yeah, this would be cool, dwarfs playing with their pets. Maybe it could even be used for gameplay, in some way. What if there was a bond between the dwarf and the pet, and playing with the pet would strengthen the bond. A stronger bond would make the pet follow it's owner more closely, and boost it's morale in combat, or something. The playing itself could also create a happy thought.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 11:35:56 am »

Maybe the dogs could fetch some of the smaller animals after hunters shoot them? Or run off with bones and plant them in the ground (leading to unhappy thoughts if the bone in question belonged to a well-liked dwarf or was carved into a priceless artifact-bracelet)?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:38:43 am by Appelgren »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 05:33:16 pm »

Not only is this stuff great for animal behavior and so on, it would improve other parts of the game. For example, sieges would be much, much more difficult if trolls had terrifying battlecries and goblins could capture dwarven prisoners. Especially if they killed the prisoners a while after capturing them, so that you'd have to lead rescue missions to retrieve your legendary miner.

Anyway, so that this post is at least partially constructive, you should be able to have separate tags for each gender of the creature. i.e. bulls with horns, female GCSs being larger than males, etc.

So you'd have to retire the fortress, create an adventurer, recruit soldiers from your city, lead a rescue mission, bring everybody back home and the retire the hero to take control of the fort again.  yeah.. that cool.

Also, polymorphism (differences in sex, etc) is in dev_next...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 06:50:23 pm »

So you'd have to retire the fortress, create an adventurer, recruit soldiers from your city, lead a rescue mission, bring everybody back home and the retire the hero to take control of the fort again.  yeah.. that cool.

Also, polymorphism (differences in sex, etc) is in dev_next...
I think the rescue mission thing is going to go hand in hand with the ability to send out armies, as that is supposed to be in the next version (or at least that's what I heard).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 06:59:42 pm »

Maybe [SPAWNONSEVER:X], where X is a percentage chance of spawning or a set number of times it can spawn, sorta like the slimes from Ultima 5.
I believe that was every time you used a slashing weapon it would separate into two slimes with half hp (rounded down) of the parent.

I made lots of 1hp slimes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5