Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anybody ever had a red wound heal?  (Read 2575 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Has anybody ever had a red wound heal?
« on: November 02, 2008, 02:12:58 pm »

I've been having rather bad luck with my latest fortress, having lost two dwarves to horses and unicorns and only ever having gotten three migrants (the human guild representative met with an accident the first year the wagons came and they all came back for a second siege a few months after leaving. I hope they die of dysentery). So I was rather annoyed to have a fire imp ambush one of my miners, breaking four of his limbs, mangling another, and peppering his body with brown wounds. He's Unbelievably Tough, which helps his chances, but am I going to be waiting in vain for his recovery?

Secondly, is that fire imp still there? It hung around on the same square until I saved the game, and now it's vanished.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody ever had a red wound heal?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 02:15:39 pm »

Red wounds will heal eventually, but it might take awhile.

And the imp, check the unit list(u) and see, he might have gone home.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 02:22:07 pm »

I've had a red wound heal while a guy was still limping back towards his bed.

Wounds are a complete and utter lottery.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 02:22:59 pm »

Everything heals, exept damage to the centra nervous system. It takes time, though. I think there's a random element involved somewhere, so it might take a lot of time. And yeah, check the units list. You most likely don't have more than a few imps, and you can zoom on every one of them.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 02:23:26 pm »

Pretty much.
And don't imps die if they are out of magma for too long?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 02:29:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure they don't die. I just had a group of four imps hang around in the same spot on the side of the pool for about a year. Managed to catch two of them alive, too.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 02:35:45 pm »

I had one go too far, so he sat down and stayed there for two seasons.
He had killed two of my dwarves, so I sent a party of recruits to kill him.

They threw him off a cliff.
Both his legs were broken, and he was crawling away as my dwarves caught up to him and tore his head off. Made a good trophy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 02:38:15 pm »

Everything heals, exept damage to the centra nervous system. It takes time, though. I think there's a random element involved somewhere, so it might take a lot of time.
Yeah, I had a dwarf in a previous fort who had been bedridden for something like four years before I shoved the save file in another folder and moved on. He wasn't very tough though.

My miner is now unhappy due to his clothes all rotting at the same time. Sigh. I'm going to cook off all my plump helmets and hope that good grub is enough to raise his spirits. At least if he does go insane he won't be able to hurt anyone.

Edit: Scratch that, he's now very unhappy. ...Yeah, this is going to end well.

Everything heals, exept damage to the central nervous system.
I know. But it's not much use to me if it takes several in-game years to happen.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:40:46 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »

I had a fisherdwarf who got caught up in an ambush - he recieved 3 yellow wounds to various limbs and a red leg [or something along those lines], If i remember correctly, he was fully healed within a year.

I think wounds have a percentage chance to be healed at the start of each season, with more severe wounds getting a lower percent chance and damage to organs lower still etc.
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 05:23:35 pm »

I had a fisherdwarf who got caught up in an ambush - he recieved 3 yellow wounds to various limbs and a red leg [or something along those lines], If i remember correctly, he was fully healed within a year.

I think wounds have a percentage chance to be healed at the start of each season, with more severe wounds getting a lower percent chance and damage to organs lower still etc.

That is exactly it.
They also heal over time.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 05:28:12 pm »

Yeah, there is a chance that even red [mangled] injuries will heal. I've seen that many times. It is not realistic to be honest. I think that these kind of wounds should only heal, when the injured creature has received some serious treatment. [Example: alchemy + herbs -> potions  + healers should be always needed to "take care" of the serious wounds.]
..but of course, this will be only possible in the future, IF Toady has plans to upgrade the "healing system" itself, and make it more realistic.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:29:46 pm by Tormy »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 05:34:55 pm »

Yeah, there is a chance that even red [mangled] injuries will heal. I've seen that many times. It is not realistic to be honest. I think that these kind of wounds should only heal, when the injured creature has received some serious treatment. [Example: alchemy + herbs -> potions  + healers should be always needed to "take care" of the serious wounds.]
..but of course, this will be only possible in the future, IF Toady has plans to upgrade the "healing system" itself, and make it more realistic.

That would be awesome once medicine, diseases, and such get put in.

Also, at the moment, I think tougher dwarves have higher chances of winning the seasonal healing jackpot.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:37:36 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 05:43:05 pm »

Also, at the moment, I think tougher dwarves have higher chances of winning the seasonal healing jackpot.

Yeah I think so, even tho I am not 100% sure about it.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 05:58:13 pm »

Well, the tissue system will apparently be revamped for next version, along with wound tracking and other related things. So maybe soon we'll have to clean the wound with some dwarven rum or it'll develop all kinds of nasty things. I don't think healing will ever be entirely realistic. It's a game, after all. It would certainly be very realistic for your legendary speardwarves to die of the common cold because the pseudo-medieval setting has no medicine, but it might not be very fun. Or losing an adventurer to completely unrelated wound infection after killing a dragon.

Speaking of the new tissue system, does this mean that since the important central nervous thingies are protected by the skull and the spine, they won't get injured so easilly, resulting in fewer terminal sparring accidents?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 06:49:24 pm »

I think in a recent dev note Toady stated something along the lines that yes, high-level sparring injuries will not happen as often.

Also, organs don't heal (have a guy w/ a red lung wound still wandering around.  He's uber tough so it doesn't really matter, luckily).
Pages: [1] 2