Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cheats for Newbies  (Read 4459 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheats for Newbies
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 01:14:46 pm »

I...don't get it.
On another note: yeah, Wardogs are a big help too.  I'd say, if you don't understand booze production yet, bring tons, cause that slow-down factor used to drive me nuts and the caravans just don't cut it.
No dur, bring 26 of each at the start.

Bring 36 plump helmet spawn ( easiest food/booze ) , 36 pig tail ( basically for cloth produce ) , and 36 rock nuts ( best food supplier ) , and farm in soil, or muddy rock ( water + rock ) .

Bring 4 cats ( all-purpose animal, isolate with channels, use a bridge to collect ) , 4 dog ( isolate with the cats, all-purpose guardians, train via kennels )

Architect, good, mix with nobility, bad, but mix with mechanic, siege engineer, good.

Also fishing good, really reliable, just needs a fisher and fish cleaner, don't forget no cooky, the prepared fishy ( cooking + fish = no bones/shells ) unless you're making roasts.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 01:19:34 pm »

any race can build a walled compound and get all the outside farmland they need.

I wouldn't say that dwarves don't need the sun either; unless you get an underground river (I never have) you need SOME trees.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 02:29:35 pm »

any race can build a walled compound and get all the outside farmland they need.

I wouldn't say that dwarves don't need the sun either; unless you get an underground river (I never have) you need SOME trees.

No you don't. If you seal off after you have beds for all the dwarves inside, then you can just sink out some shafts to make stone items. Dwarves>other species. Stone>wood.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 03:48:49 pm »

How about the hypothetical situation where a dwarf gets a fey mood, and can't find all the materials, and you don't take action because your fort can't possibly be destroyed, and the dwarf goes berserk, and kills twelve people before going down, and everyone is frends with everyone, having so much free time in their underground utopia, and I think you see where I'm going with this. One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 03:56:11 pm »

How about the hypothetical situation where a dwarf gets a fey mood, and can't find all the materials, and you don't take action because your fort can't possibly be destroyed, and the dwarf goes berserk, and kills twelve people before going down, and everyone is frends with everyone, having so much free time in their underground utopia, and I think you see where I'm going with this. One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

Which is why you play DF from Soviet Russia. Because in Soviet Russia, you screw RNG.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 05:19:59 pm »

If a fey dwarf cannot get all the materials, you wall him in. Easiest solution and incredibly useful!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 05:23:36 pm »

A legendary dining room doesn't require access to the sun, either, so a hypothetical failed mood shouldn't take down an underground utopia. :D
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 05:49:41 pm »

I lock them in first... Then i check what material they want, and if i can use another Legendary [Whatever]... If i like what i see, i will let them fetch the stuff they want... Otherwise i build a nice Tomb... The least i can do...

If the fort is happy otherwise, one or two dead friends/relatives per year do not cause any problem.
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 05:58:52 pm »

Exactly. If the dwarf doesn't have the required materials, lock him in the workshop and designate another tomb. You get points if you manage to keep nobles alive while being turtled up.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 06:20:28 pm »

You know, if you're going to be like that; Dwarves and Elves are the only races that HAVE to farm. Kobolds, Goblins and Humans can hole themselves up, and live on kitten meat and dress in puppy leather, but Dwarves need their booze.

If you're going to claim dwarves are superior because they can farm underground, what about those that don't need to farm at all?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 06:45:30 pm »

Exactly. If the dwarf doesn't have the required materials, lock him in the workshop and designate another tomb. You get points if you manage to keep nobles alive while being turtled up.
Note to self, when you have Fell Dwarf, lock him in a room with butcher's shop, or a tannery with a noble.

Note to self, number two, when you can't supply a Dwarf's demand lock him in the room with a weapon and a noble.

Note to self three, put them in a arena with weapons, nobles, and enemies...

Note to self four, breed thine enemy, it'll pay off later in the arena...

Five, if all else fails, let him use the Drownery, or the Hydro Transport System which was rigged, by, um, TERRORISTS!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:48:45 pm by Foa »

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 10:01:58 am »

You know, if you're going to be like that; Dwarves and Elves are the only races that HAVE to farm. Kobolds, Goblins and Humans can hole themselves up, and live on kitten meat and dress in puppy leather, but Dwarves need their booze.

If you're going to claim dwarves are superior because they can farm underground, what about those that don't need to farm at all?

To be perfectly fair, Dwarves don't need booze. It's useful and keeps your fort moving at good speed, but if your entire place is dedicated to merely surviving, you can be as slow as you want. I mean, really, one decent farmer can support 20 dwarves on a boozeless few days. Now add 19 dwarves with nothing better to do than farm, and a soil layer with nothing better to put in it than a massive farm... It's easier on the FPS than animal farming.
Pages: 1 [2]