Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The great ocean fortress of Roughtender  (Read 4372 times)

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
Re: The great ocean fortress of Roughtender
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 11:17:39 am »

3 months earlier...
"Well there it is, right over there. It's a tiny little thing, isn't it"
LegoLord paid no attention to the stupid farmer. HERE, was where he was to plot his scheme, where  the stupid sheriff of that damed city couldn't get him. He knew this area was prone to thunderstorms, and the lightning was already sparking out of the clouds in the distance.
All he needed to do now was fool the idiots running the fort into giving him a high vantage point. He already had a plan.
"Hello, and welcome to our little fortress, sure are alot of ya, so why don't you tell me yur names and professions?"
"Flint, soldier, sir."
A young dwarf walked forward and entered the fortress. He was greeted by what looked like a sad excuse  for a leader of the military, and hustled upstairs and inside.
        Legolord thought fast, and blurted out his excuse.
"Legolord, siege engineer, uh, sir"
He had no time for these foolish games. He needed a workstation, and needed someone to build it. It would have to be tall, with one of those metal spikes at the top, like the symbolic snake on the top of is old church, where he conducted his earlier experiments. Oh, and it needed to be made out of blocks.
         Neo looked down, strife right next to him.
"What if they were all masons! Think of what we could do!"
"You're mad!"
"Well, think about it, we'd be able to complete this third story in minutes, not days!"
"Yes, but- hey, look down there, right there!"
"It's a group of animals, they look like they're coming for the fort."
"I'll be damned, its a bunch of them cursed rhesus things!
        The macaques descended down the slope, running for the fort whooping and screaming. The immigrants, just inside had recently been ordered to go get the drink out of the wagon and into the fort.
"GAH, inside!INSIDE!" said one of the cooks, and he ran into the shelter of the fort. Soon, their attackers, in all their primate glory, had control of the forts main entrance, and were feasting on the plump helmets still outside in the wagon.
"For crying out loud."
Flint gestured for the rest of the current military (Who were also hiding, including the "Leader") to follow him.
       He ran outside, at full speed, and kicked one of the macaques in the chest, sending it into the water. The rest of the "military" followed suit after him, grabbing and throwing and kicking as hard as they could. Soon they had bested their adversaries, and were celebrated like heroes for the rest of the day, although flint considered it a minor victory at best.

END OF PROLOGUE
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 02:19:05 pm »

If you haven't named mine yet, please don't name him WorkerDrone. It makes me feel like a robot! Well I am, but you get my point. Call him Dire!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 03:03:22 pm »

oh, i guess i did make a mistake. oh well, i'll still participate. so what DO i have to do? do i like, roleplay my dwarf as the fort goes along?

Normally, in community games, you just sit back and enjoy the show.  Some writers of community games encourage the others to make journal entries or such, so long as it corresponds accurately to the plot.  Making up personalities and giving suggestions are also acceptable, to a point (i.e. don't tell the person how to run their own fortress).  Other than that, enjoy reading about the exploits of your character.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 03:57:25 pm »

Liked the prolouge.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 04:12:27 pm »

Id like an axedwarf named Sareth when possible. It would be cool if he could be the captain of the guard/military leader.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 04:39:14 pm »

oh, i guess i did make a mistake. oh well, i'll still participate. so what DO i have to do? do i like, roleplay my dwarf as the fort goes along?

Normally, in community games, you just sit back and enjoy the show.  Some writers of community games encourage the others to make journal entries or such, so long as it corresponds accurately to the plot.  Making up personalities and giving suggestions are also acceptable, to a point (i.e. don't tell the person how to run their own fortress).  Other than that, enjoy reading about the exploits of your character.

that sounds fun, i guess i'll take any dwarven sounding name. i'll try to be active and have a colorful personality to make sure this isn't boring. just need to know when my character comes into the picture, and of course, hope that their's enough information to base my "journal entries" on.

i'm in-character.... now!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 04:43:18 pm »

Looks great so far.

Oh, and Aqizzar, that is on the drawing board. The only issue is the issue of mining new stone for the fort afterward.

Dig down through the same obsidian block.  Mine under the ocean!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 04:48:45 pm »

Under the ocean! Under the ocean! Where everythings wetter! You better getter, Under the Ocean-

-The angry forum mates crush Workerdrone in a stampede!
-WorkerDrone has been struck down!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 06:47:11 pm »

Part of the prologue was from my dude's point of view?  Wow, I feel incredibly lucky.  Stuff like this normally only happens to me around friday the thirteenth.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 09:20:02 pm »

(Name_Here) cancels store item in grave: Mutilating WorkerDrone's corpse for an awful pun.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 09:49:16 pm »

"LEGOLORD ZNEGAKMESH,WE HAVE YOU SURRONDED!"
The guard of the scientist's old city had finally tracked him down,and were now right outside the fortress. Flint and the guard were on high alert, ready to possibly meet their doom, outnumbered and outgunned.
"Sigor! is the brew done?!" Legolord whispered to his assistant.
"Yess ssir."
"Give it to me."
Sigor handled the barrel carefully, and Lord, as he was mainly known, slowly moved out of the hatch. crwaling in the dense thicket, he planted it. setting up the dummie, he pulled back and waited.
        Aqizzar sat in the dining hall, waiting for Fre.
"Vat ze heal?!" Cried Vost, a dwarf from the far north. "Ze Wine ees all gone!"
"What? There was plenty of it earlier!" said Fre, looking through the stockpile. "I'll be damed by Armok, we're out!"
"VAT?! ZEN VAT DO VE DRINK?"
"There must be a theif... Strife! you've been here all day, anyone suspicious?"
"Yeah, that Sigor guy. He's a strange fellow."
       Patiently waiting, Lord saw the fire imp pop out of the mama for a brief second.
"Come on, come on!"
Suddenly, in a quick movement the imp shot a ball of fire at the dummie, and Lord turned away just soon enough to hear the barrels of alcohol explode. "Salt peter. Never fails."
Suddenly, his old city's soldiers were facing a flood of magma, as it poured into their positions.Unable to  run, they  were engulfed in seconds. as it passed thier position, it moved on to the lagoon nearby, where the water slowed its rush.
       The screams of the soldiers awakened Neo, who ran from his bed to the fortress lookout. He looked downward, stunned. people were clambering to the top of the fort, screaming for their lives.He immediately turned to the people willing to work."We need to cover up this place solid, and keep that magma contained!" He said motioning for a slate of rock. He drew out plans for a wall and safety system.
       Aqizzar looked at the scene before him unfold, and suddenly, a dwarf shoved a stone infront of him and screamed "Build!" He was out infront of the fort, watching the water in the lagoon steam up. Time was running out. They swarmed about, and soon, they had a makeshift wall constructed.

It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 09:51:20 pm »

that is comprised of win.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 11:44:59 pm »

First Journal Entry of Kogan, Weaponsmith, armorer, metalcrafter extroadinaire!

"Had'a terrible hangover today, but last night was great! Spent me last gold coin on a dwarf woman from the mountainhome, filched all the wine i could carry from the stockpile to my room (i bet the sucker's never noticed it were gone!) and I partied me dwarven heart out. Placed in my wine-induced coma with with a great dwarf woman by my side, this is what a dwarf lives fer! Had to wake up sometime tho', and it were an awful doozy. Me woman were gone, stol' away in the night i suppose. I stepped outside, and thee whole place 'ad changed! Terrible smell o' sulphur and brimstone be everywhere. it were daytime, but the sun be blacken'd out from horribl' smoke in  the sky, and most of all, the 'hole encampment be surrounded with a wall that i certainly don't remember bein their! I 'ad hoped to get back to the mountainhome an rangle up some decent work, but looks like that ain't 'appening now. everyones rushing around with a panicked looked, even that old fellow, aquizzer, be chippin' away at some blocks like their ain't no tomorrow! i wonde' what i be goin to do now?"

end of journal entry.

(i've chosen for my guy to be named Kogan in case you couldn't tell, cause it's dwarven and sounds cool.)

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 12:17:06 am »

:o wow... lots of action, I love the way I just order people around.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 02:41:44 am »

God I wish I had time to write something.  I don't have a clue what happened there, but the picture says it all.

"BUILD! BUILD FOR ALL YOURE WORTH!"
Aqizzar: "This is not exactly what I had in mind..."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4