Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;  (Read 24180 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2008, 12:58:14 pm »

Yeah. Also, I'm figuring the best way to explain Anticheese's participation is to say the artifact was completed early but isn't as super as it could be. Mind you now, it's going to help his assorted tasks go supersmooth but he's sane now.

In case you didn't hear, the entire party got 3 CP for advancing the plot; the kingdom of Mountainkeep is no longer out to get the players and nominal relations have been established. Alexor got 2 CP for the restoring the forges, and Anticheese is getting enough points in Alchemy to raise his skill to 18 due to completing the Artifact. Be careful not to have that artifact destroyed now, ok? We don't want tantruming PCs... ;D

CptMayday's and Turgid's horses are fine; they just don't have female horses to take their frustration out on due to them being shot dead. By tonight, I'll give them a lowdown on how much their horses cost, then mail it.

I'm still revising the amount of time it takes to perform noncombat actions and hopefully will have a list of action costs soon. For now, its assumed an action takes 2 hours without any modifiers and one can spend less or more time for skill penalties or bonuses...Some actions (i.e. building a dwarfputer) will obviously take more time while others (cooking bacon) would take less.

Finally, I think it would be great if for now on when in combat everyone waits their turn to post. My main issue was everyone talking at once and me losing track of what everyone was supposed to do. Once people shut up, resolving everyone's actions went a lot quicker...know what I mean?   ;)

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2008, 02:41:44 pm »

yesterday I downloaded an irc program chatzilla, and joined server efnet, bay12games, RTD, and caves. but i didnt meet anyone , how do i get to where you guys game? i need a guide because i must have done something wrong. Ive never used irc before

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2008, 03:14:29 pm »

Hastur; the server is WorldIRC, and the rooms are the same.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2008, 03:36:25 pm »

how do i connect to world irc, i use /networks and world irc is not there in the list. i also tried /attach #worldirc but that dont work either

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008, 03:57:37 pm »

Try putting in "/server worldirc.org"

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 04:03:46 pm »

Yay it worked thanks, what time is the game today? im on west coast. -8 hours and magic juggler is on east coast -5 hours .Ill send my charachter now i hope hes ok

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 04:38:11 pm »

So it'd be 4:00 for you I think. Meaning 7:00 for me.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2008, 11:35:02 pm »

I apologize about tonight's being unable to play; this paper is really important to me and I figure the earlier I get it complete, the more awesome I'll be able to make it. However, it is coming along excellently, and I am almost done with it atm.

In the meantime, I like the ability to define artifacts as characters. It gives a lot more flexibility regarding what an item can do. The system is being refined at the moment, and will probably be the basis by which we end up creating systems like dwarfputers/etc.

Finally, any suggestions for a map program designed for multiple z-levels would be awesome. I could just save-load multiple maps in gametable, yet this would be an issue if we have multifloor combat...any suggestions?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2008, 11:47:11 pm »

Well I couldn't make it today either. Did anything interesting happen, like a few hours of chatting about how to improve the game? I'm pretty sure this artifacts-as-characters thing is new, because I don't have a clue what it means.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2008, 12:11:53 pm »

Well I couldn't make it today either. Did anything interesting happen, like a few hours of chatting about how to improve the game? I'm pretty sure this artifacts-as-characters thing is new, because I don't have a clue what it means.

What we did was we made a character sheet for your dead body. We made it incapable of physically moving (Quadripledgic), making it effectively a statue, and an object that was owned by Anticheese. Basically we hollowed out your chest, and put your spear in your right hand, and installed a minikeg inside your chest. One could pour mixtures/etc into the keg inside your chest, and everything inside the keg would experience time at twice the speed...i.e. 2 seconds go on inside the keg for every 1 second outside, so chemical reactions take half the time to occur, booze takes half the time to ferment, etc. When ready, the user taps your spear and the liquid shoots from your neck into a tube, and deposited in a cup, ready for use. In short, your corpse is now a chemistry set/microbrewery.

However, the artifact is haunted. It will whine and throw tantrums, and has very low-level telekinesis so it can throw tiny items around...however, should it be destroyed or lost, Anticheese's character will tantrum (i.e. he now has to protect your body as a Dependent); this cancels out the points involved to make him Legendary.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:14:02 pm by MagicJuggler »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »

That is awesome. Is the telekinesis enough to pull levers? Because then it might pull a couple at random as revenge.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 02:08:11 pm »

If you do that im going to have us seal you in a hole and brick it up.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2008, 04:39:09 am »

The latest session: While beating a dead horse won't get you anywhere, butchering them will help keep your fortress alive for another week. The "Penguin Processor" was unveiled and thoroughly creeped out the locals, a munchkin was ousted and Mulch is a good cook.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2008, 09:38:28 am »

I've really fallen behind on updating the overall story, and if anyone is interested in helping write chapters based on the logfiles, that would be really great.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2008, 10:23:35 am »

I'll write Chapter 3 If I can get the log files, so maybe we should split them up when we meet on Wednesday. If we don't play, we can at least get this story written.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8