Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;  (Read 24179 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 09:46:01 pm »

Argghhh... I just downloaded mIRC, only to realize it's a trial version!!! Twenty bucks my ass! >:(
What does everyone here use?

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 09:47:04 pm »

mirc...they never asked me to pay yet.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 10:00:21 pm »

Argghhh... I just downloaded mIRC, only to realize it's a trial version!!! Twenty bucks my ass! >:(
What does everyone here use?

chatzilla.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 02:03:06 pm »

how many players total? and when is the first session? how long will they tend to run?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 04:50:40 pm »

I think there's five or six, sounds like sunday at 7:00 pm EST, and my best bet is 3 hours.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 10:50:35 pm »

I could do 7:00, perhaps for a few more hours. Message me character sheets before then as well as what you would like to start off with beforehand...I make it a rule of thumb you are only allowed to spend 16 gold coins at most, leaving you with at least 4 at the beginning of this game, which are used for the assorted group items like the party wagon/boat/etc.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 04:17:22 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:50:21 pm by yougiedeggs »

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 07:11:45 pm »

I'm considering removing the dwarf-only restriction, if only for later characters...any thoughts on this?

Current modded Elf Template 25 pts

Dex+1, Ht-1, St-1
Speak with Animals
Unaging
Impulsive
Curiousity
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:00:44 pm by MagicJuggler »

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 03:44:41 pm »

Bumping...so several changes were made again, including the allowing of Elf or Human characters for the awesome of it all. The players are still assembling so it's not too late to join!

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 02:13:35 am »

Hello everyone. This is the big one. The Great Mountainkeep Exodus.

It was a night like any other. The Cliched Tavern was busy with its array of customers like normal and Urist McAlchemist was discussing the plans to cleanse the Kobold Caves to the south of vermin. They were seated at the lower-left table).

The newest recruit was Keth Famothran, a most unsavory human with a Hide Root addiction. A skilled archer, his abilities as a ranger and fighter were most useful. Joining the conversation were Elisa, a most pretty yet shy Elf mechanic, and Datan, a former member of the Fortress Guard booted for corruption.

Suddenly, the door burst open and two Fortress Guard soldiers decked in leather armor stormed the breach, followed by a chainmail-laden sergeant. Armed with wooden shields and steel maces, they looked threatening enough..."We have an arrest warrant for Officer Datan"
"On what grounds?" Datan was not fazed in the least, despite his skills at fast-talking failing. His situation was a house of cards arrayed against him.
"Read the charges" replied the officer as a soldier pulled a scroll out. "Numerous counts of abuse of authority for personal gain, numerous cases of impersonating higher rank than normal, conspiracy for theft, conspiracy to murder the king..."
"Couldn't we have him do community service?" asked Urist, in an attempt to be the voice of reason.
"With his debt, it would take a thousand years to pay it off...besides, the Hammerer would like to get acquainted with him?"
"Wha...what's a hammerer?" asked Elisa with fear in her eyes.
"Dwarven law enforcer...very scary fellow" replied Urist.

While they argued, Keth took his ranger training to heart and snuck through the service exit. Navigating the back alleys was nothing like the forests he was used to wandering, yet the soothing effects of the hide root kept his mind at ease. He ducked and weaved around corners until he found himself on the rooftop of the inn across from the tavern...

"No, YOU are to be arrested". The impulsive Elf did her part to sound wise despite the looks centering around her...
"Yer a far way from the trees Elf" replied the sergeant with a snarl...as the guards moved into apprehend Datan, Elisa brandished a spring-loaded dagger from her ring, stabbing one of the soldiers to no effect, his armor turning aside her feeble attacks. "Arrest them both..." replied the sergeant idly...

Sneaking to the front of the tavern, Keth noticed two chariots and a wagon belonging to the guard, each with a single dwarf and empty seat...apparently, they were providing the transport for the other guards, and the wagon served to transport prisoners. They clutched crossbows, and looked listless, oblivious to the chaos going on inside...after scoping cover across the street, he aimed for one chariot guard, hoping not to miss...

Meanwhile, the guards had the upper hand. Urist attempted to aim his prodd at the sergeant, whom barreled forth knocking over the table in a feat of strength...

Meanwhile, the guards took to fighting Datan and Elisa well, knocking them out with ease...Urist lost his aim and shot the captain in the foot, the table capturing most of the energy instead...just as the sergeant was about to land a blow on him though, several other patrons lept into the fray, preoccupying him...in the havoc, the other two guards moved in to subdue Urist, knocking him in the nads several times...once the assorted bar patrons were roughed up, the Sergeant ordered the tying up of Urist, Elise, and Datan...

...the first arrow flew true, shooting one charioteer dead. The second arrow hit the other charioteer in the arm, pinning him to the chariot and spooking the horse, causing the chariot to ride off...the wagon-rider panicked and took to cover...

...Alexor was strolling to the tavern, ready to meet with Datan and Urist about when they would embark and noticed the remnants of the brief shootout..."You there" called the human "with the pickaxe. Stand here for a sec..." as he moved to knock out the wagon-dwarf, whom fell with a satisfying thud.
"And you are" asked the puzzled Alexor the miner?
"Keth Famothran; and you?"
"Alexor...what's going on?"
"The fortress guard has captured my employer..."
"Who are you fighting for?"
"Urist the Alchemist"
"I see..." replied Alexor, relieved they were working for the same person..."So what's the plan?"

The guards finished tying up Urist and Datan, the sergeant taking extra pleasure in binding Elisa's Elven body..."They don't make Dwarven women this delicate" he chuckled as he finished with her...one of the soldiers agreed in turn "well, all we need to do is cart them off...to...th...wagon?" The soldier only had a second to notice the remnants of his patrol before Alexor buried his great pick into him...as the blade twisted an artery, the results were truly blood-letting spectacular; the second fell to a well-placed shot on Keth's behalf, his red-stained mouth delivering a mandate..."Let our friends go, and you may leave unharmed..."
"Grr...double-crossed..."...the sergeant was angry. His mean were dead around him, and he had an angry mob nipping at his heels..."very well then, you win this round but mark my words, one day I'll get my revenge for this dishonor..." As he left on a chariot far to the Eastlands, Alexor and Keth worked towards untying and reviving up their unconcious companions...
"wha...wha happened" asked Urist?
"The guards are dead and the sergeant escaped" replied Keth..."It's too dangerous to stay here."
"What are our orders" asked Alexor...
"Salvage what we can from this debacle. Round up our wagon, get all other recruits loaded, and get all last-minute shopping done...we cannot stay in Mountainkeep for it would be our doom" Urist moved with a determination and leadership rarely seen in an alchemist...whom ever heard of empires being built by soap?

(To be continued)...
Feedback?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:58:35 pm by MagicJuggler »

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 05:44:19 pm »

Cool backstory! I was afraid for a minute that everyone gathered w\out me. Haha tomorrow night then!
I've gotten gurps basic set, so i'm gonna flesh out my character a little.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 02:05:36 am »

Of what edition of GURPS do you speak of?

I only have: GURPS Basic Set (3rd Edition), Discworld RPG, Discworld Also,  GURPS Infinite Worlds (4th edition), and GURPS Illuminati.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 10:15:13 am »

I speak of 4th edition, yet we can help you out. See the following post.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 10:15:53 am »

Status Update: The party has left Mountainkeep and is currently cleansing its new home. Votes on what to name it are appreciated.

Current Inventory:
Will fill in later.

Current Roster
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello everyone. On IRC, I'm running an RTD game using the GURPS system, where currently the players are embarking to form their own fortress.

Character Creation Rules

Templates

The World of Destruction

Prologue: Fill in Later

Chapter 1: Arrest!

Chapter 2: Exodus
Fill in Later

Chapter 3: Kobolds!
Fill in Later

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 10:20:16 pm »

Btw, Permission to sticky this thread for it is one that is consistently "modified" and not so much replied to save for when people wish to comment/join the game?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8