Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;  (Read 24165 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2008, 02:26:08 am »

I really want to know what's been happening, if any of you are kind enough to tell me.

SombreChapaeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2008, 02:05:06 pm »

I really want to know what's been happening, if any of you are kind enough to tell me.

there is a fight with a giant eagle, maraca goes hunting finds dead eagle and an egg... keeps the egg for a giant eagle mount.

Elisa went fey, a group went with her to get her tree including Maraca and Mulch, they attack some kobolds setting one on fire and hitting it with a ballista bolt, it lives and maraca captures it for a sacrifice to KeshanStodir. they come to some elves, mulch kidnaps an elf girl, ransoms her for animals, we get to a fort Maraca walks up elisa shoots a guard, the guards shoot maraca, then elisa shoots maraca, maraca gets in elisa is captured, Mulch attacks the fort with his guys. they free elisa due to fey, she and maraca go for the tree.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2008, 02:52:35 pm »

Whoa. That sounds epic.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2008, 03:10:52 pm »

Maraca would like some character points soon, been like 5 sessions with noffing.

Sorry about that. When the artifact quest is done, everyone involved in it will get points. Additionally, there will be points for those that complete the quest to avenge Datan's death at the hands of the mob goons; finally, if the players wish, they can attempt to clear out the caves before the seal goes kaput.

Of the men that were wounded, I need to roll some 1st-aid checks for the squad medics, and then we can determine if the players really wish to invade either the Elf fortress, or the Kobold base. That said, Mulch is pretty much isolated from Maraca and Elisa due to Elisa going bonkers on him, and alerting the guards to Mulch's presence. But once this quest is finally over, it should be worth a good amount of points, perhaps 5 or 6 (which is quite a bit in GURPS terms)

Back at castleforged, I mentioned Datan dying as the result of mortal wounds including a crossbow bolt to the torso, and having his chest smashed in by a steel baseball bat. This was the result of a botched assassination attempt on Sibrek, that occurred while some Tucker Kobolds were attacking the base. 9 other Dwarfs died in the attack, with only one Kobold dying and another being captured. The captured Kobold revealed to the party (through really cute drawings, akin to those Gobbo made for Kobold Camp  ;D ) that the Kobolds were being drawn forth to Penguin's corpse so they could worship it as a god.

Still need to finish updating the logs of course. I'm 3 games behind and there's a lot of food and resource-crunching to calculate.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2008, 12:17:14 pm »

My old character is a kobold god?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2008, 06:36:12 pm »

As much a god as cortes was to the Myans
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2008, 06:05:44 pm »

Is there any chance to hop in? I'm not perfect in english so I may be sometimes slow but I want to play very much.

I want to be a Diggles Windspell, a wandering gnome who smokes stinking herbs (via pipe), thinks that the Wind speaks to him, is proficient in gemcutting/encrusting and his lifetime goal is to find a "perfect gem".

If there's any chance for me to become a part of a story:

Diggles Windspell
Proficient Gemcutter/Gem Setter
Novice Herbalist

Personality:
He is a fair worshipper of Wind.
Diggles Windspell likes Gems, magnifying glasses, goblets, jewelry, color green, winds and fairies for their babylike giggles. When possible, he prefers to consume giant rat roast, ale and to smoke a pipe.
He is very friendly. He is very cheerful. He is incredibly creative. He does not have a great aesthetic sensitivity. He is open-minded to new ideas. He finds rules confining. He is slow to trust others. He acts impulsively. He likes wandering outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.

Items/clothing:
a rope reed green pointy hat [head]
a rope reed dark brown jacket with mountain goat leather stripes, with a lot of pockets [upper body]
a cow leather ragged belt [lower body]
an oaken smoking pipe (there's a special holder on the belt for it) [on belt]
a small hoary marmot leather pouch on the belt {a small red ruby, a small purple amethyst, an old coin, stinky herbs} [on belt]
green-and-white rope reed striped stockings [legs]
-cedar wooden shoes- [feet]
a dog leather bag {small tools to cut gems: a vice, a revolving lap, a magnifying glass, a tiny hammer and chisel} [on back]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:20:53 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2008, 08:26:52 pm »

Haha..I love it. Maby you should rename stinky herbs to somthing else though, eh?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2008, 07:45:03 am »

The main idea that it's not tobacco and any self-consious pipe-smoker would never even try to smoke this sh*t. :)
I may come up with a herb name if it's necessary.
I've added the gnome's personality I'm going to follow..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:20:07 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2008, 08:43:20 am »

If you need help with Gurps I can help translate your character into gurps. Im trying to get to play too its hard. How familiar are you with the system? Just say the word and I can write something up for you since you've helped me and all.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2008, 09:03:03 am »

Do you speak to me?
I'm unfamiliar with gurps but it should be easy to hop in since I tried various systems, from DnD, S.P.E.C.I.A.L and to homebrew lame oversimplified systems made for fast rp purposes :).

However since I have no books on GURPS I'd like to recieve a link to some general system documentation and some possible advices after I generate a character.

P.S. Who helped you and all?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:04:56 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2008, 01:57:57 pm »

The rules for GURPS Lite can be found here at http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG31-0004

The rules obviously pale before Book 1: Characters, but it has the core rules needed for making a character (dealing with stuff like how much basic attributes cost, skill tables, etc). We're building off 100 pts.

Hastur's character is almost done; a lot of his issues were related to play balance, or minimaxing. Just need to review some final stuff.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2008, 12:04:36 am »

You helped me silly! (Deon) I wanted to know how to play fallout mod without without the custom graphics.

To Juggler: Ive sent you another guy, you said you didnt get the last one with the changes. I've been sending them to the Gmail, would you prefer I sent them as messages through this forum? Thats how I'd prefer it so its ok if you do.

To Deon: My possible advice is to not neglect fearlessness or combat skills because I did and it wasn't working out in my favor, and to get high skill levels for noncombat stuff since I haven't seen any circumstance bonuses being used in my short time around.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2008, 12:22:53 pm »

GURPS does things with the 8-hours work, 8 hours sleep, and 8-hours for what you will. Taking workaholic would take time away from What You Will, making for less quest time/slower XP gain.

Circumstance bonuses depend on stuff like quality of the workshop, time spent working, etc. In general, you can get at best a +2 bonus if you spend 6x the amount of time needed to do a task (meaning 12 hours for a work assignment). I actually have been nice and haven't really bookkeeped all the work penalties for having crappy workshops to work in...paved floors make a major difference after all. I also need to implement morale calculation based on happy/unhappy thoughts.

To Deon: The point is in general jacks of trades with minor specialization are what you're looking for. If you start the game with the ability to get a skill roll of 30-under (when skill 18 is legendary)...you've broken the system badly. I actually need to PM you that we can discuss the stats of the Gnome template, since having a Gnome PC is both cool and interesting.  :)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2008, 05:36:52 pm »

DECEMBER 31 UPDATE:
Hello everyone. It's been a hectic past few weeks yet I believe I finally have been able to update things for better or for worse. We've had an entertaining set of adventures, and the game is speeding up in terms of raw combat awesomeness.

Current Roster
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obituaries: The dead will be honored...or the butt of many jokes.

Status Update: A recorded list of actions looks like this:

Fortress Inventory and Locations:
Below is a partially completed list of everything located in the fortress. You'll notice a lot of tag notation in here; this is mainly because the information in there is to be manipulated through the DFGURPS program I'm writing. Depending on how much spare time I get, this project could get increasingly sophisticated. Assuming I end up creating an actual hexmap system for this badboy, I may end up building hex savefiles for everything.  ;D

Character Creation Rules

Templates:
I miscalculated the cost of Martial Trance (I.e. treating the corresponding disadvantage as its own disadvantage that only activates when the advantage is on, rather than a limitor to the advantage) and am going to see if I can balance Strange Mood with it in order to keep base point cost fair. Otherwise, I may end up giving extra points to the nondwarfs to compensate. Additionally, I may drop strength for the Elf and Kobold (i.e. St 8 for a Sm-2 creature is a generous amount especially since weight is derived from St), and balance it out with more stuff. If this is an issue, feel free to PM me.

The World of Destruction

UPDATE:
A thread cannot exceed 40000 characters in length, so I deleted this chapter here. I may move the story to a different site when I get the opportunity. Sorry. :(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 04:44:03 pm by MagicJuggler »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8