Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;  (Read 24166 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:18 am »

DECEMBER 8 UPDATE:
We've just completed the first in-game month. Huzzah. I'm going to be in exam hell for the next week and so my ability to GM remains uncertain. In the meantime, feel free to comment on the game here, perhaps talk about gadgets you wish to see now that Castleforged has discovered serpentine powder.

Note that this wonderful device will require sulfur, potash, and charcoal to make properly. There were some sulfuric rocks in the magma forges, but you're probably going to find out how to collect sulfur (hint...very low boiling point).

Aside from this, there's the issue of designing weapon prototypes. I should have a list of who can build what by the end of the week; if you want to design something more sophisticated than that, you'll have to declare your intent to invent a gadget. Specify it, and I roll. Pray I do not crit-fail and tell you that the roll is a success  ;D

A rough draft of what the tech-tree will look like; note that these deal with discovering general theories or building blocks. What you decide to make of them is up to you and will generally require an invention roll...i.e. discovering the application of grapeshot vs. building specialized chainshot rounds.
-REF of saltpeter (i.e. how much of the explosive can be safely handled)
--Principle of Fragmentation
--Bombs (Any manual explosive that
--Bombs&Grenades (i.e. any explosive with a manually lit paper fuse)
--Corning (Improves Gunpowder REF; recalculate safety)
--Impulse due to explosions (Allows reliable use of gunpowder for launching arrows/spears)
--Blackpowder Fuse
---(W/ Impulse): Exhaust
---(W/ Impulse-Powered Weaponry): Warhead (Allows a projectile to explode after some time being propelled by gunpowder)
---(W/ Exhaust): Rocket

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DECEMBER 4 UPDATE:
NOVEMBER 28 UPDATE:

Current Roster

Obituaries: The dead will be honored...or the butt of many jokes.

Status Update: A recorded list of actions looks like this:

Fortress Inventory and Locations:
Below is a partially completed list of everything located in the fortress. You'll notice a lot of tag notation in here; this is mainly because the information in there is to be manipulated through the DFGURPS program I'm writing. Depending on how much spare time I get, this project could get increasingly sophisticated. Assuming I end up creating an actual hexmap system for this badboy, I may end up building hex savefiles for everything.  ;D

Character Creation Rules

Templates:
I miscalculated the cost of Martial Trance (I.e. treating the corresponding disadvantage as its own disadvantage that only activates when the advantage is on, rather than a limitor to the advantage) and am going to see if I can balance Strange Mood with it in order to keep base point cost fair. Otherwise, I may end up giving extra points to the nondwarfs to compensate. Additionally, I may drop strength for the Elf and Kobold (i.e. St 8 for a Sm-2 creature is a generous amount especially since weight is derived from St), and balance it out with more stuff. If this is an issue, feel free to PM me.

The World of Destruction

Prologue: Fill in Later

Chapter 1: Arrest!

Chapter 2: Exodus
Fill in Later

Chapter 3: Kobolds!
Fill in Later

Chapter 4: Of Thorgrim Highbeard, and The Sad Tale of Penguin
Fill in Later

Chapter 5: Arrest!
Fill in Later

Chapter 6: Merchantilism

Chapter 7: The Leaf Conspiracy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:38:15 pm by MagicJuggler »

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 11:46:22 pm »

I won't be making it on Friday if Magic decides to GM. Going to a concert, which may or may not be extremely awkward, considering it's Mudvayne...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2008, 01:07:47 am »

I won't make it all weekend. I have two papers due and some exams next week.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 10:50:33 am »

Hmm...I'm thinking it would perhaps be best to postpone the game next week then? I only have one exam on tuesday but the more time to study the better.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 05:32:12 pm »

I'd enjoy a game on the week end if possible :P Skiping games doesn't sound very fun.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 11:36:20 pm »

On second thought, I might be able to play on Sunday. Maybe we'll just do that?

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2008, 12:06:42 am »

That sounds best...the 12th is my bday anyway, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do the day after...meh.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2008, 09:11:05 am »

Happy Birthday Magic!

PS. Now I have no idea when I can play next. Am currently typing this on an iPhone, after my HP lappy's hardware failed. Have to send it in for repairs, hoping to get it back before next weekend. I'm pissed at HP, the hardware failure is actually widespread, but they won't acknowledge that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 04:59:36 pm by yougiedeggs »

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2008, 01:31:31 pm »

Cannot run game on 20th; been feeling like crap lately. Botched two of my exams and I am upset with myself.  :(

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2008, 03:44:58 pm »

I've botched a couple of mine too. I won't be able to make the 19th or the 20th, but I'm free on the 21st.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2008, 05:17:51 pm »

Update: Probably cannot play tonight either. On the bright side, should have one heck of a game set up for Sunday. :P

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2008, 06:18:05 pm »

So I should have the ledger updated over the next few days...monday night's game was super-awesome. That said, I just realized I did something wrong with it.

CaptainMayday's character isn't dead, just mortally wounded. Had he failed the Health check by more than 2, it would be instadeath... Assuming Ulthad does some successful surgery, and Datan some health rolls, he can stay alive...so we'll calculate that later.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:23:10 pm by MagicJuggler »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2008, 10:54:57 pm »

Oh wow what? I seem to have missed quite a lot.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2008, 12:02:09 am »

So I should have the ledger updated over the next few days...monday night's game was super-awesome. That said, I just realized I did something wrong with it.

CaptainMayday's character isn't dead, just mortally wounded. Had he failed the Health check by more than 2, it would be instadeath... Assuming Ulthad does some successful surgery, and Datan some health rolls, he can stay alive...so we'll calculate that later.

Except of course, now he really is dead. Good thing I have another waiting in the wings.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

SombreChapaeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2008, 01:37:39 am »

Maraca would like some character points soon, been like 5 sessions with noffing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8