Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;  (Read 24163 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress IRC game;
« on: November 01, 2008, 06:06:40 pm »

DECEMBER 31 UPDATE:
Hello everyone. It's been a hectic past few weeks yet I believe I finally have been able to update things for better or for worse. We've had an entertaining set of adventures, and the game is speeding up in terms of raw combat awesomeness.

Current Roster
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obituaries: The dead will be honored...or the butt of many jokes.

Status Update: A recorded list of actions looks like this:

Fortress Inventory and Locations:
Below is a partially completed list of everything located in the fortress. You'll notice a lot of tag notation in here; this is mainly because the information in there is to be manipulated through the DFGURPS program I'm writing. Depending on how much spare time I get, this project could get increasingly sophisticated. Assuming I end up creating an actual hexmap system for this badboy, I may end up building hex savefiles for everything.  ;D

Character Creation Rules

Templates:
I miscalculated the cost of Martial Trance (I.e. treating the corresponding disadvantage as its own disadvantage that only activates when the advantage is on, rather than a limitor to the advantage) and am going to see if I can balance Strange Mood with it in order to keep base point cost fair. Otherwise, I may end up giving extra points to the nondwarfs to compensate. Additionally, I may drop strength for the Elf and Kobold (i.e. St 8 for a Sm-2 creature is a generous amount especially since weight is derived from St), and balance it out with more stuff. If this is an issue, feel free to PM me.

The World of Destruction
Emeseyece: An elf kingdom to the south of the New Empire, noted for its freezing temperatures and Elves savage even by Elven standards. They additionally have trained such creatures as Frostwolves and Yetis to assist them in protecting their homelands. Unlike other elves, these ones happily use what precious obsidian they can find from volcanic geysers.
[/spoiler]

UPDATE:
A thread cannot exceed 40000 characters in length, so I deleted this chapter here. I may move the story to a different site when I get the opportunity. Sorry. :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:36:35 pm by MagicJuggler »

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress IRC game;
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:39:51 pm »

I would be interested in joining, though you might wish to give a link to a character sheet and a summary of the rules you are using (i.e. cost of skills/equipment/etc...).

Also, how do you intend to coordinate the game ? Everyone joins an IRC channel at a fixed time and play for a few hours (which would be problematic when people live in different time zones) ?

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:30:24 pm »

Everyone Emails me a time they can play? I generally work best starting 6:00-9:00 weekends EST.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:10:44 pm »

i'd like to give playing a shot too
6-9 on sunday might be a decent time for me but i'm not sure 3hours a week would be enough would it? maybe?

i've got a lot of other available times but 6-9 on friday and saturday are probably bad for me

i'd prefer if instead of artist dwarves had talent in moonshining :)

actually the best times for me are probably afternoon/evening EST weekdays but i doubt that'd be good for anyone at all but me
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:37:29 pm by namad »

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:01:05 am »

I can be available on WE starting 13:00 (GMT+1) on Saturdays and 11:00 on Sundays.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 01:35:21 pm »

I can attempt to make myself available on the weekend during whatever time is agreed upon, I can't promise though. I'll be drafting up a dwarf just to be ready.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 02:33:56 pm »

I am interested and would gladly do this if I could find out more about the rules somewhere. A link is needed!

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 02:42:04 pm »

the rulebook is nearly 600pages long
you can find torrents of .pdf's of the rulebook but we shouldn't provide links because it's illegal .. ask in irc or use google or use your favorite torrent searching method

GURPS is the name

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/ thats a link if you insist on having a link but i'd recommend getting a .pdf of the full rulebook (you won't actually have to read all 600pages of course)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 03:09:32 pm »

Just my luck.  Finally an online DF GURPS game, and I can't distract myself until at least Thursday.

Reserving space, if allowable.  Dwarf Assassin, perhaps?  Yeah...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 08:35:59 pm »

I've never heard of anything so cool as a dwarven assassin!

I only read GURPS lite, am I at a huge disadvantage? Or is it enough to let the GM handle things?

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:15:30 am »

It's not a *Huge* disadvantage as you're mainly missing out on a large amount of advantages and skills, but we can help you fill out your character idea.

What kind of Dorf do you wish to be?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

I think you should decrease the Dwarven Alcohol Dependency disadvantage... Not only are Dwarves capable of living years without water, it is their prefered choice of drink when nursing other dwarves back to health.

It should instead possibly cause an agility (or dexterity, whatever it is called in Gurps) decay after a long period of non-drinking (lets say 1-2 weeks)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 12:00:10 pm »

I'm contemplating how to do it, but as alcohol already provides water input, its a moot point anyway. The agility/work penalties are covered by inverting the drunk table, so Dwarves are sober so long as they drink... :P

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 01:08:55 pm »

Is there an agreed time? This dwarf with a troubled past wants kill a GCS.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 09:31:26 pm »

Looks like Sunday at 7:00 EST.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8