Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125488 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2009, 10:02:42 pm »

I'm curious about this game, I think I'll try it out but by chance does it have a tileset?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2009, 10:18:50 pm »

Yes personaly Im looking most forward to sub-races, overwrold, and calling shots.
Anything else is just sorta "meh" to me in ways of development.

Also I never understood this, shouldent the sub-races be the races and the races(IE: orc, kobold, dwarf) be the species? This always bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

Well, many fantasy settings have halfbreed races and whatnot, which would indicate that race is in fact the correct term, and not species. I guess this usage was just carried over into other settings where species would be more appropriate. Not really a mistake on the part of game designers.
So then whats this ancient species with so many diffrent races? It could be human if it werent for the fact that human kind is already a race. Just as well why is everything that reproduces with a human a half-blank, while if a kobold and an orc reproduce it makes a creature with a unique name(I forget what its called)?

This is all very one sided, it should be based on the perception of whatever creature is the player so:

If you are a orc looking at a cross of human and orc you see a:
half-man
And when you see a cross of human and elf its a:
elf-man.

While if you were a elf looking at the cross of a human and orc you see a:
orc-man
And when you see a cross of human and elf its a:
half-man.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2009, 07:02:34 am »

Just made me think of something...  Are "half"breeds, like animal crossbreeds, sterile?  It would make some sense from a genetics viewpoint, and would also give an interesting facet to relations between half- and pure breeds.

It would also give something to giggle about when some twitty fanfic writer tries to make their Mary Sue self-portrayal even more interesting by writing themselves as a half-elf. 

But if they are capable of crossbreeding, that must mean that the various races indeed have some sort of common ancestor, so as to have enough genetic similarities.  This raises a question regarding the lizardman and kobold races, seeing as they are reptilian rather than mammalian (at least the lizardmen are.  And I believe the current Forgotten Realms opinion of kobolds is that they are reptilian.  I much preferred them as the yapping Chihuahua-folk).  The differences between a human and an elf, or even a gnome and an orc, are understandable to an extent within the boundaries of genetic understanding (after all, look at the differences between Germans, Chinese and chimpanzees), but the difference between a warm-blooded and a cold-blooded creature seem to be something of a stretch.

This could of course be explained away by one of the ancestral subraces being cursed by some deity or whatnot, and being turned into a more "monstrous" creature as a form of punishment.  This could result in certain extreme mutations (cold-bloodedness, fangs, claws, scales) while still retaining enough genetic similarity to maintain crossbreeding relations.  The reptilian races are really the biggest wrench in the gears, but I wasn't aware of them being a problem until just now (didn't know about kobold crossbreeding).  I had assumed that they were simply another strain of intelligent life, and thus were not required to share genetic similarities with the other races.

Or, we could just agree that the Forgotten Realms are built upon ass-backwards high fantasy concepts that were pulled out of a hat randomly and have absolutely no forethought behind them.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2009, 07:15:53 am »

You think Kobolds are freaky, what about Yuan-Ti?!
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2009, 07:25:46 am »

I'm curious about this game, I think I'll try it out but by chance does it have a tileset?

Not at present...though I believe one will exist in the future at some point.  Distant future perhaps...but still.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 19, 2009, 01:50:21 pm »

Not at present...though I believe one will exist in the future at some point.  Distant future perhaps...but still.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that we gonna have tilesets after the next version is out...erm just a question: tilesets are supported in the current version?  ???

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2009, 04:16:17 pm »

Yeah, I am pretty sure that we gonna have tilesets after the next version is out...erm just a question: tilesets are supported in the current version?  ???
Urg.

Build good, playable, fun game first.

Make pretty later.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:27:28 pm by rickvoid »

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2009, 04:37:14 pm »

Urg.

Buid good, playable, fun game first.

Make pretty later.

Amen.

I enjoy Incursion much more when the font size is much bigger than the default. The additional clarity saves your eyes and allows you to better consider your next move.

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 21, 2009, 06:40:42 pm »

Hm, Incursion.

I gave it a try, started the game, chose a Dwarf, kicked in a door,
tried to pick up an item, apparently got attacked by an enemy but couldn't switch back to the normal screen,
Ctrl+Alt+Del'd, deleted the game.

D:

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 21, 2009, 06:48:11 pm »

Urg.

Buid good, playable, fun game first.

Make pretty later.

Amen.

I enjoy Incursion much more when the font size is much bigger than the default. The additional clarity saves your eyes and allows you to better consider your next move.
I personaly with it had less eratic dungeons, I hate it when I run into a ice matrix right after walking through a vine area.

I like my levels themed.

tried to pick up an item, apparently got attacked by an enemy but couldn't switch back to the normal screen,
heh, just drop the item or put it on your belt. or wait? If it froze then nm.

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 21, 2009, 06:52:54 pm »

Uhm, dunno. Played it a week ago or so, it said that I need to have "free air" selected or something, can't really remember. Also, the game started with lots of corpses lol.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 21, 2009, 07:00:01 pm »

Uhm, dunno. Played it a week ago or so, it said that I need to have "free air" selected or something, can't really remember. Also, the game started with lots of corpses lol.
Yep thats it, not a glitch its just that you were holding an item in the air and while doing so a creature ate you.

If you press d you will drop it, and then you can leave the menu with esc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:03:34 pm by cowofdoom78963 »

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 21, 2009, 07:06:49 pm »

Yep thats it, not a glitch its just that you were holding an item in the air and while doing so a creature ate you.

This little fucker, how could he dare to eat a Dwarf Warrior? D:<
Meh, I might start playing it again. I like Rogue-like games, but the only ones I played were DF's adventure mode and Dungeoncrawl.

Which... sucked golemballs, really. Oh well, cheers mate!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 21, 2009, 07:19:52 pm »

When you're interacting with an object, it goes to a magical "air" spot.  You have to store it somewhere on your person or in a hand or something, or drop it, before you can leave your inventory screen.  Otherwise, it would just be levitating in front of you and that doesn't make any sense!

That slot exists so that you can pick up an item when you have both hands full, replace one of your hands' contents with that item, and then drop the old wielded one, without having to juggle stuff into your pack.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2009, 07:37:41 pm »

When you're interacting with an object, it goes to a magical "air" spot.  You have to store it somewhere on your person or in a hand or something, or drop it, before you can leave your inventory screen.  Otherwise, it would just be levitating in front of you and that doesn't make any sense!

That slot exists so that you can pick up an item when you have both hands full, replace one of your hands' contents with that item, and then drop the old wielded one, without having to juggle stuff into your pack.

Ah I see. By the way, made a new Dwarf but I have no idea what I should Bonus I should take.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the hell does "Body Equilibrium" do? Lol.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62