Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125646 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #765 on: April 27, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »

PTW, might try playing this again sometime when I have time. Tried it back when it was dead, if it's open source now and development is going then it just got more interesting.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 27, 2014, 02:43:35 pm »

is it possible to see a map?

short of an enlarge scroll, how do you get rid of reduce? I hit a trap twice and cant use my sword.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 27, 2014, 03:11:57 pm »

short of an enlarge scroll, how do you get rid of reduce? I hit a trap twice and cant use my sword.
Sleep or dispel. As for map, 'l'ook then press o, is the closest you get. Isn't quite a map, but you can scroll around really easily.

CR 15?! I didn't know Incursion had such high CR stuff implemented, given that the max level attainable is 11. No wonder it can solo the dungeon...
I think there's maybe one or two natively CR 12 creatures, but after that comes templates and templates can get stuff up there. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least CR 20-somethings before, possibly 30s, in deep challenge/nightmare games. The amazing thing about it being CR 15 is that it's appear on second dungeon level, being spat out by a third level character :P

E: Mind you, most stuff beyond the 11th level isn't implemented (so a templated spellcaster with some ridiculous caster level -- legendary adult dragon, ferex -- isn't going to have 7th, 8th level spells), but that doesn't stop HD and caster levels and whatnot from continuing to progress.

Issue: Auto-stowing picking up things it shouldn't

Is there a consensus on what autostow should and should not pick up?
Going by the option's description, it should only be picking up things that can stack with stuff you already have. I think at some point the pack option specifically was changed to pick up normal consumables -- potions, wands, scrolls -- automatically, and maybe (I'm forgetting if this is or is not true) non-weapon/armor magical stuff (rings, cloaks, boots, etc.). So, if I was going by the theme of that, normal consumables -- everything not alchemy made (so no tanglefoots) and not water or holy water -- would be a definite for pack auto-pickup, then non-weapon/armor enchanted stuff would be a maybe, and anything that can stack with anything in your inventory (except spellbooks. Spellbooks can stack, but you don't want that to happen automatically.) would top things off.

I'd probably recommend a fourth state for it, besides pack/gear/no -- something like "aggressive" that gets all consumables, magic stuff, and alchemy etc. junk. With that, you could regulate the current pack/gear options to specifically pickup only what you already have (gear already does, but pack, I think, doesn't.). Regardless, if the pack option is going to be automatically picking up consumables, the option's description probably needs to be updated to reflect that.

Regarding the anomalous behavior the issue is running into, what's probably happening is that tanglefoots are being treated as a normal consumable (which, to be fair, they sorta' are) and the shields and holy symbols are being caught by the same pickup behavior (I'd guess something related to amulets), since the shields being automatically picked up are almost certainly ones "of <God>", which also operate as holy symbols. Incidentally, those "of <God>" shields have incredibly wonky intuition states -- I've had <magical> ones (which should be limited to +1 items) turn out to be +4 or +5 once identified, ferex.

Summarized version: Pack autopickup should pick up:
  • Normal consumables -- not alchemy created, not water, holy or otherwise. So potions, wands, and scrolls.
  • Non-weapon/armor magical things -- rings, boots, amulets, cloaks, etc. Not holy symbols.
  • Anything except spellbooks (and holy symbols) you're already carrying, if they can stack.
  • It might be better to have an "aggressive" option that does those three, and have pack and gear autopick options only pickup what you already have.
Gear pickup should be left alone -- it's working fine.

E2: Oooh, I had forgotten that can happen. And reported, heh. Illusionary monsters that can multiply -- like, say, brown puddings -- split off into real monsters. My poor gnome illusionist now has roughly 54 CR worth of pudding following it around >_>
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:29:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2014, 04:48:34 pm »

In Crawl, if i remember well the autopickup get by default
Books
Gold
Scrolls
Food
Potions
Wands (not sure if Rods are included)
Jewellry (ring/amulet)

You can edit things manually to add other categories or remove some, but from all my Crawl games i never felt the need to change that list.
So i think the autostow should be fine with something similar, though as in Incursion//d&d some class will not have access to spell casting, maybe books shouldn't be autopicked

Maybe additionally autostowing ammo of the same kind you have already in your inventory (as autostowing bolts when you have a bow would be a waste of inventory)

if possible already identified "bad" type of potion/scrolls/jewellry should be left on the ground and not auto picked up i think (so picking them will be a conscious choice), something i find usefull in Crawl

But armour/weapon/shield should definitively be a conscious choice of the player to pickup and stow in my opinion.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 28, 2014, 01:44:29 am »

Sleep or dispel. As for map, 'l'ook then press o, is the closest you get. Isn't quite a map, but you can scroll around really easily.
Alt+movement keys also shifts view of what you know of the map.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 28, 2014, 02:00:41 am »

PTW
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 28, 2014, 09:02:56 am »

PTW

I originally read this differently.
Funny how the same acronym can mean two different things in two different contexts.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 28, 2014, 01:34:41 pm »

Apparently we don't get to save versus wand of paralysis? At least nothing was shown in the log window. I removed the first instance with a prayer and instantly got paralyzed again then they just coup de graced me. Kinda cheap death, unless I'm not seeing the save rolls.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 28, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »

Am I the only one whom the game is being annoying about changing my resolution? I'm *pretty* sure my laptop screen is large enough.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 28, 2014, 07:22:22 pm »

Apparently we don't get to save versus wand of paralysis? At least nothing was shown in the log window. I removed the first instance with a prayer and instantly got paralyzed again then they just coup de graced me. Kinda cheap death, unless I'm not seeing the save rolls.
... yeah, doesn't look like it when I tested on a different computer. Seems there's a fort save when you blast stuff (or you blast yourself), but none when a critter does it, not even when wizard mode's "show all combat rolls" are going.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:22 pm »

Issue: Auto-stowing picking up things it shouldn't

Is there a consensus on what autostow should and should not pick up?
Please don't auto pickup holy symbols.
I only get 52 slots per bag, filling 10 of them with useless symbols to the multitude ( when I'm lawful good) is silly, annoying, and time consuming.
Also, just because I have healing pots in the bag on my belt (rather than in the backpack slot) doesn't mean I don't want to pick them up.
So, can we get the Auto pickup to check all worn bags, and not just the backpack slot bag for whether we have a stack to merge with?

Also, also, wow, thanks for continuing development of this.

Also, also, also, can we get a development thread for this?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:35:39 pm by Rude »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 28, 2014, 10:27:38 pm »

Hrm. You should have notably more than 52 slots per bag. Well, for half the bags, anyway. Gnomish and force backpacks have a 75 and 100 unique item limit, respectively. Small and mediums have 50 (technically 51, but whatev) limits, but yeah.

As for development thread, I think that's this one :P Not sure if it'd really be worth it to split off another one strictly for development stuff.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 29, 2014, 05:30:53 pm »

Hrm. You should have notably more than 52 slots per bag. Well, for half the bags, anyway. Gnomish and force backpacks have a 75 and 100 unique item limit, respectively. Small and mediums have 50 (technically 51, but whatev) limits, but yeah.

As for development thread, I think that's this one :P Not sure if it'd really be worth it to split off another one strictly for development stuff.
Oh, you're right. It's 50. Think I was thinking of crawl's system of 1 stack per letter + caps. Still, I don't want to waste space on useless autopick up clutter. Especially since moving stuff around is fairly keystroke intensive.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 29, 2014, 05:50:30 pm »

Anyway improvements to the general item pickup/inventory screen would be extremely welcome. The 'up in the air' slot thing confused me for a very long time, and I really think the whole inventory system is one of the most confusing aspects of game play. I still end up equipping/moving the wrong stuff even after years of play.

I'm not sure what exact changes to suggest, but anything a bit more logical/simple would be appreciated!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 29, 2014, 05:59:14 pm »

Stuff like the container cursor is... well, I don't quite want to say enough, but... close? Cumbersome as it can occasionally be, the inventory system is a very deliberate call back on Mensch's part -- it's basically identical to Omega's, heh, and was intended to be. It's kinda' grown on me, personally, but... yeah, getting used to it was rough, and the period before the container cursor was a thing was somewhat of a nightmare.

In regards to autopickup, until something better comes around I've been getting by by using only gear* autopickup (and putting, say, gold, healing and dimdoor pots, and ID scrolls on my belt/shoulders) and autoloot (F8). You want primary stacky-stuff on your belt anyway, since (barring feats and force backpacks) it takes extra time to pull stuff out of a container and leaving healing/emergency pots in your pack is a bloody fine way to get yourself killed.

*Mind you, I stopped using pack autopickup a long, long time ago. It kept getting me killed. Even gear autopickup gets my HP chunked occasionally. They're not nearly as discerning as you really need to be about when it's safe to loot.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62