Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125649 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #750 on: April 20, 2014, 08:40:11 am »

Oh well, i guess we'll have to deal with stacks of doom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iSHfrmGdyo
:)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 20, 2014, 09:35:32 am »

The gremlins in incursion are pretty specifically a callback to the movies. Not sure if the D&D ones are similar, heh.

... bright side is the only time you're really going to see something that extreme is with gremlins, and they're... kinda' flimsy. And have a massive weakness (bright light insta-kills them). So long as you don't get close enough for the ridiculous flurry of bolas can get you. Or get in melee.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:37:38 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 20, 2014, 09:50:56 am »

Soooorta'? I'm kinda' fuzzy on the details. But most of the limitations I can recall of stuff sitting in the same square are size-based. Things like gremlins, kobolds... basically anything smaller than human sized (possibly -- probably? -- human-sized, as well) can stack up in a square kinda' indefinitely, like some kind of geographically localized clown car. It's mostly things like large-size and larger critters that can't occupy the same square.

What I found on the topic:
Tiny, Diminutive, and Fine Creatures: Very small creatures take up less than 1 square of space. This means that more than one such creature can fit into a single square. A Tiny creature typically occupies a space only 2-1/2 feet across, so four can fit into a single square. 25 Diminutive creatures or 100 Fine creatures can fit into a single square. Creatures that take up less than 1 square of space typically have a natural reach of 0 feet, meaning they can't reach into adjacent squares. They must enter an opponent's square to attack in melee. This provokes an attack of opportunity from the opponent. You can attack into your own square if you need to, so you can attack such creatures normally. Since they have no natural reach, they do not threaten the squares around them. You can move past them without provoking attacks of opportunity. They also can't flank an enemy.

Quoted from 3.5 DMG by someone on the net.

From the same thread:
I will admit I remember in 3.5 seeing a FAQ or Rules article that said something like half the normal number can attack, but I can't find a reference to that and that would still be unofficial.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 20, 2014, 10:07:31 am »

Mm... yeah, most of those don't apply to Inc. Tiny or smaller critters can attack adjacent squares just fine, threaten their surrounding areas, and incur flank bonuses as well as anything.

Gremlins are just small anyway, heh. S'like I said, fairly sure anything smaller than human can stack up in a square indefinitely. You can also get multiple human sized ones in one square fairly easily, but I'm not sure if there's some sort of limitation there (like how with DF you can stack whatever you like, so long as only one is standing). S'just large and larger stuff that will displace what's in a square instead of moving into it.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:10:54 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 20, 2014, 10:17:18 am »

As I said, I'm not sure about 'anything smaller than a human stacking indefinitely', and even if it should turn out to be true for d20, it probably ought to be capped in Inc to avoid silliness such as you just demonstrated.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 20, 2014, 10:43:05 am »

Ah, yeah, it's probably not true for d20. Likely one of th'varying differences between Inc and it.

And maybe a cap, I'unno. S'like I said, that sort of thing happens pretty much only with gremlins* and it's more than a little thematic for 'em. Plus of the stuff it happens with, only the gremlins are particularly mobile. Not exactly a high priority issue, aye. Leaving it be wouldn't be a big deal, in m'opinion, and it's a fairly neat thing. E: Though maybe cap xp gains (on a per dungeon level basis, if possible) and squelch corpse generation for multiplying creatures. Orcs in particular get giddy when they run into a multiplying critter, since each corpse consumed will probably give a little XP. Several dozen corpses...

*Well... and a few others. Brown molds, sometimes blue jellies and brown puddings, but of those only the molds can happen autonomously. Brown mold infestation of a lava stream is something best just left alone, though not because of the amount of 'em. They get more max and min HP the more fire damage they take, heh. Three, four thousand HP mold? I've seen that. Dozen member multi-thousand HP mold swarm? Yeeeeuup. Just... walk away. They're slow.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:55:18 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 20, 2014, 02:48:59 pm »

I'm getting a bug when trying to sell things when bartering (I was bartering with a grippli on level one). I'm not sure if I've seen this bug before, as normally I just kill everything.

File is console_c.c
line 276
Expression: dat != ((void*)0) && (unsigned)(x)...
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 20, 2014, 03:19:43 pm »

Also, are there plans to implement the (unimplemented) stuff?
Yes.  When the bugs are all fixed, unimplemented stuff will be worked on by me, if I still have the time and interest by that point.  There are at two other people who have compiled the code that I know of, so they may choose to work on their own versions of the game, or potentially push implementations of unimplemented bits which I will accept if it meets my standards.

However I'm not a game designer by interest or profession, so any changes I make which have game balance related decisions, will be inherently unbalanced.  If you feel strongly about something unimplemented, you should bring it up here and discuss it with people who wish to have a say in how it should be done.  If the result is appealing to me, and well justified, I'm happy to consider it as the design that will be accepted for that unimplemented whatever.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 21, 2014, 08:22:53 pm »

I'm getting a bug when trying to sell things when bartering (I was bartering with a grippli on level one). I'm not sure if I've seen this bug before, as normally I just kill everything.

File is console_c.c
line 276
Expression: dat != ((void*)0) && (unsigned)(x)...
This is erroring in libtcod.  Unless you can provide a repro case, or a call stack, I can't do much about it.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y7
« Reply #759 on: April 21, 2014, 09:06:44 pm »

An updated download is available on bitbucket: 0.6.9Y7.

Changes:
  • Issue 33: Fixed error message encountered when either creating a character, or reincarnating it, depending on whether 'Flooded Cavern' region is placed in the generated dungeon.  This region had 'aboleth, with slaves' defined as a possible encounter, but sadly we have no aboleth (with or without slaves).  Reported by holsety_s, but let's be honest we were all getting it and ignoring it.
  • Issue 58: Attacking a door would calculate final damage before applying material hardness bonuses (i.e. wizlock).  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 62: If one weapon was ranged, all weapons would get the ranged tag in their description.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 65: Mobile fields from spells which were cancellable, could not be cancelled.  Mobile fields from spells could be stacked ad infinitum, now they are hard coded as non-stackable.  As each day passes, persistent effects should have been discarded, but a bug was modifying their duration and corrupted their identification as persistent.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 67: Moving while up a tree no longer has a chance of falling if the creature has the brachiation feat.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 71: Creatures attempting to move within a bad field (like a summoned swarm) would be unable to.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 76: Replace spell list for 'Shadow Magic' which had same list as 'Phantasmal Force', with Evocation spells as described.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 85: Fix a bug where if a creature had an innate ability and they rested, it would infinite loop trying to repeatedly remove it and failing because it shouldn't.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 86: Added 'Heightened Senses' to the 'Mortal Coil' spellbook.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 88: Change 'Chameleon Shifting' from an INFLICT (which has saving throws) to a GRANT (which has none).  Specify the hide skill bonus should be +10, not unspecified which is a +0.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 90: Fixed crash where attacker standing on magma dies from magma damage incurred by attack/strike action, before actual strike action starts.  Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 93: Ordering one summoned ally to return to their home plane resulted in all summoned allies returning to their home plane.
  • Slipping on a pool of grease would incur some damage, and give a message that the acting entity fell.  However, whatever action was in progress would be allowed to proceed.  Now the action is aborted, in line with the acting entity falling over (and consistent with other slipping types).
  • Pressing escape in character creation when selecting gender would cause a crash when the character was later reincarnated.  Now it is harmless.
  • Using English instead of American spelling, because if they speak in English accents in Game of Thrones, it's how they must do it in all fantasy worlds.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:08:19 pm by chooseusername »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 22, 2014, 01:43:15 am »

O_o that's a lot of Frumple-reports...

Grabbed it, obviously.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 22, 2014, 02:59:35 am »

O_o that's a lot of Frumple-reports...
It's just the tip of the iceberg..

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 27, 2014, 12:40:24 pm »

... yeah. Reaching the point I half think Skill Focus: Use Magic may be the best feat in the game. Third level gnome illusionist (illusions are up to CR10 now~), second level of the dungeon. +1 wand of beast summoning. Getting stuff like elite behirs (CR 15 creatures*.) out of it.** Three rolls, taking the best off, every time I fire a wand. Don't have any offensive stuff yet barring cleansing light (so much for graveyards), but when that comes... last critter rolling like this was getting 10d10 shots out of shard wands. Beautiful stuff. Conceptually you've got a limited supply of them -- you can run out of charges -- but in practice... in practice, you don't run out. Wands are great.

*E: To put this in perspective, if it weren't for the time limit an elite behir could probably solo the entire end-game goblin camp. Even with protection from <foo> getting in the way, since it has a damaging breath attack.
**... which, looking at the description of the wand, means the too-high-CR-goes-hostile thing isn't working. Thank zeus. If it was, summoning wands would be completely unusable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:49:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2014, 02:15:42 pm »

CR 15?! I didn't know Incursion had such high CR stuff implemented, given that the max level attainable is 11. No wonder it can solo the dungeon...

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 27, 2014, 02:30:55 pm »

Issue: Auto-stowing picking up things it shouldn't

Is there a consensus on what autostow should and should not pick up?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62