Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125638 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y6
« Reply #705 on: April 14, 2014, 06:04:12 pm »

An updated download is available on bitbucket: 0.6.9Y6.

The primary reasons for this update is the reduction in CPU use, and crash bug fixes. Thanks to everyone who reported bugs.

Changes:
  • Issue 43: In past libtcod builds at least, when the game was waiting for input, the CPU would be at full usage.  Now, the idle input loop only checks for input when it has to.  From 100% to 2% CPU usage.
  • Issue 48: The cursor blinking support was not implemented for libtcod.  Now it is, and the wonderous thing that it is can be viewed at various places like where you choose your gender in character creation.
  • Issue 26: Fix crash where missiles land on terrain where they cannot be placed (e.g. magma, slime, deep water) and it was assumed they were placed successfully, and subsequent logic failed.  Reported with reproduction data by Frumple from Bay12 forums.
  • Issue 49: Fix crash where monster moves over chasm or similar terrain where they fall, then die through damage acquired in doing so.  The logic did not check that the falling damage had killed the monster, and the logic crashed as a result.  Reported with reproduction data by Frumple from Bay12 forums.
  • Issue 51: Fix use of control and alt in UI like the inventory.  The fixes for non-US keyboards broke this use case by accident.
  • Issue 54: Casting a spell at a deep water tile was treated as casting a spell when standing on a deep water tile.
  • Issue 52: Chests were not autolootable, because chests are a type of container, but chests are not specifically containers.  The scripting language only recognised containers as containers.  Now, anything checked to be a container, will be considered a container even if it is a chest.  This may introduce problems where only specifically containers are intended to be included, and now chests are also.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #706 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:24 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention, there's a fix for the lack of window update when you alt-tab back to it.  So let me know if this problem has gone away, or not, and that will determine if I submit that fix back to libtcod and it's kept.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 14, 2014, 08:04:38 pm »

The alt-tab updating issue is fixed for me.  Thanks!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 14, 2014, 09:05:15 pm »

Echo that. Alt-tab is definitely working better, as is CPU usage in general. Cheers, choose!

Think... probably sometime this thursday or friday I'll set aside a few hours and burn through the spell list again for some semi-intensive testing. Know there's a few things that were particularly wonky back in H4 (Wizard lock and wall of doors comes to mind immediately, ferex, if my memory's working.), but don't quite remember what all of them were. Some 11+ depth (challenge/nightmare difficulty) testing might be a good idea, too... stuff gets a lot more likely to break down there. Less of an issue for the normal difficulty, but it's a decent stress environment.

Also need to check on narzugons again when I get around to that. Unless it's been fixed, their gaze attack is buggy in the instant-kill-you-regardless sort of way. And... buncha' other stuff.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:12:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 14, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »

In fact, yeah, my laptop was nearly overheating previously and now the fan doesn't even turn on all the way.  Definite CPU improvement.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:58 pm »

Again thank you very much for your work at making Incursion more solid in every updates.

I hope RL fans will be progressively more and more aware of how more stable and solid Incursion is becoming, the game is so good that it really deserves to be more played.

Thank you again to both the original dev and to chooseusername for their great work.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 15, 2014, 12:50:20 am »

Thank you again to both the original dev and to chooseusername for their great work.
I can't imagine how much work Julian put into this.  There's just so much to it.

Also, the only reason I've been able to fix some of these bugs is because Frumple provides save files and says do this, see this.. go fix it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:52:05 am by chooseusername »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 15, 2014, 01:07:15 am »

Yes, i remember reading it took him 7 years to develop it.
And considering how in depth the game system is, it's a really impressive work for a single individual.

I hope it will gain in popularity, that' s a RL that really deserve to be in the top played ones.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 15, 2014, 02:41:47 am »

Yes, i remember reading it took him 7 years to develop it.
And considering how in depth the game system is, it's a really impressive work for a single individual.

I hope it will gain in popularity, that' s a RL that really deserve to be in the top played ones.
Well, he did have some help from a ww, as there are comment conversations in the source code, where ww makes a fix or makes a change.  And then Julian comes in and adds his own comment and changes what ww did.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 15, 2014, 07:07:41 am »

It would probably be a very good idea to revive the listing for the game here so more people can be aware that it is back in action in a big way and get counted proper on the new releases section and whatnot beyond:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 15, 2014, 11:48:03 am »

Playin' mostly just to play for a bit, so have a look at something one or two levels from the breakpoint of becoming one of the most ridiculous builds in Incursion:
It's a very simple concept, really. Take the school with some of the most dangerous DC-related spells in the game (baleful polymorph, ohohoho), and pump that check as high as it can possibly go. Well, nearly as high, as I'm not bothering with Ash or Sabine, but... whatever. Mechanics notes: Nothing can reach a higher intelligence score than a human loremaster. It's honestly a fairly simple build, but once you start turning adult dragons into rats... it gets glorious. You can even sideline necromancy for some nice offensive abilities (the drain line, mostly) and further minions (on top of the requisite summon monster spam, of course.). The div penalty is probably the worst of the negatives, and considering there's only one really nice spell in that (Detect Monsters, the most powerful ability in the game bar none.), well... that's what scrolls are for, ohoho.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 15, 2014, 12:12:56 pm »

I've heard tale of an adventuring party (in the table top game) baleful polymorphing a balor into a fish.  They threw it into a river to avoid the still-possible downsides of having a balor die (the fish would still explode violently, as spell-like abilities are not stripped) and walked away, leaving some hapless fisherman to the nuke.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 15, 2014, 04:08:20 pm »

Just like to second Robsoie's thanks to both chooseusername and Frumple. I wish I had time to put some effort into helping testing, as I think it's one of the greatest RLs (especially of the dungeon delve variety) around, and has been chronically overlooked due to bugs and instability.
Posting it to RB and maybe even putting up your own site (even just a free one) might help push it further out there and gain more help. I think a lot of those who would have been willing to improve on it will have forgotten it's brilliance now that it's become Open source, and it'd be good to get them back to it!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 16, 2014, 12:20:30 am »

It would probably be a very good idea to revive the listing for the game here so more people can be aware that it is back in action in a big way and get counted proper on the new releases section and whatnot beyond:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
I've added a bit more detail, and put the release in the home page announcements.

I plan to put some screenshots and descriptions showing what Incursion looks like to someone playing it, featuring interesting bits and pieces.  Just so anyone who comes along to the page can get converted before playing with no idea of what they would otherwise be getting into.

If anyone has any suggestions..

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 16, 2014, 05:39:37 pm »

Having fun, messing around with orc builds.  Eating corpses is so very tempting, but I'm finding it almost impossible to find Cure Disease potions or money.  Probably because I'm staying on the first level of the dungeon.

I just hit priest 3 so I'm finally ready to go deeper.  I'll need to hurry though.  I just overcame Devil Chills, leaving me with... Mindfire, Blinding Sickness, and Blue Slaad Transformation.

I'd say the +2 charisma I got from nomming faeries is worth it, but with 10 charisma I can just barely afford a single ration.  My pack is full of neat magic equipment that I can't sell, because of guild crap, and even if I could, he isn't even selling any Cure Disease potions.

I guess what I need to do is find a friendly adventurer to sell stuff too, and ideally a cleric who can sell me curing.  However much it costs... I hope I can use intimidate, because my modifier is +16  8)

Edit: My earlier attempts were mostly as a monk, aiming for that pure-body ability for disease immunity, but priest seems waay safer than punching.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:41:53 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62