Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125617 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #660 on: April 09, 2014, 03:09:51 pm »

Climbing is incredibly OP. Get it to the 20's and you'll be crawling along the ceiling over every terrain and be near-invincible to melee.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 09, 2014, 03:25:48 pm »

As an aside for the benefit of further OGL and thematic implementation reckonings to come:  Various written out and detailed approaches of all sorts can perhaps be gleaned from the generally ongoing harassment in the form of link wrangling that I've done throughout this Dev topic on Veins of the Earth as that somehow started happening.

I...have probably fell into looking far too deeply into the mass of theoretically relevant OGL content out there beyond where anybody should.   :-[

http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=3469.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 09, 2014, 04:59:35 pm »

Where's all our experienced Incursion players? We've got a new dev who needs playtesting and gameplay complaints.

I'll be following your work intensely. Expect a list of things I exploit regularly [and things I generally hate, usually total balance-breakers]. Since I couldn't finish Incursion without cheating in one way or another, really.
Busy with school and work, mostly.

Maybe a bit late to the discussion, but re: Knock, I would almost certainly say it needs to not unlock chests, or at the very least have a DC component, same as lockpicking does. Alternatively, have it burn held mana ala cure spells (probably around the rate of dungeon level*2 or something. Chests are big deals.) to unlock containers.

As is, effectively free unlocking of containers -- which are, more or less bar none, the best* source of equipment in the game -- would be a bit much. Everyone else either has to invest in lockpicking, luck onto a wand of opening -- which aren't terribly common -- or risk breaking stuff. Which they should, since those things are ridiculous loot bags. Wizards really shouldn't get a free pass to that on top of all the other vaguely ridiculous advantages they get.

*The only things that matches or surpasses quality are vaults and floating islands, and both of those carry the potential for viscous doombeasts. Nothing matches the quantity of non-mundane loot tied up in chests.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 10, 2014, 04:36:59 am »

After the character killing packs of piranha birds, looks like lizardmen that happens to be druids are another bunch of player character destroyer.

In a foggy room i ran by surprise into a lizardman, decided to let my battleaxe do the talk, only to discover the thing was a druid, that made me "stuck" with druid power, unable from there to do anything, the lizardman simply pummeled my warrior to death.

Looks like i'm on a bad luck streak there :D

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 10, 2014, 04:38:05 am »

Druids are very tough. Lizardman anything is especially so.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 10, 2014, 07:31:34 am »

If that wasn't literally one of the mist/fog covered rooms (there are precisely two that have naturally occurring normal fog -- elemental rooms and th'actual mist-filled ones -- and then one with acid mist and another with nausea inducing gas), then it wasn't a surprise :P And if the fog was moving at all, it definitely wasn't.

Whenever you see fog, anywhere else, that means you're run into one of a very specific set of critters. Of them, something like two (One or two of the nymphs, and fog elementals. Maybe something else I'm forgetting.) aren't primary spellcasters of some sort. All the rest of them (note: This includes higher level dragons) are going to be spellcasters. So if you see a moving fog bank -- you know that's almost certainly a caster. Pray it's using a druid spell list and not a wizard's.

Really need to check the repository's issue list thingy, but speaking of that, has anyone mentioned the whole "Spellcasters generate with every bloody sustained spell they have running" thing? Higher CL wizards are the worst thing. Not necessarily because of their vicious spells or anything, but because they usually generate with somewhere in the range of multiple thousand mana worth of sustained spells running. And if you're not a caster (or willing to use wands, but good luck with that when you've ran into something running a wandweird spell that has a radius larger than your screen.), doing anything to something like that is... not very viable. You hit them, and take 30+ damage from stacked fire/death/etc. shields. You fire projectiles and hey, missile protection. You try to go reach (which usually ignores melee-ranged retaliation) and... hey, they're larger than normal and punch you in the face anyway. Also they've probably been blessed with a few hundred more HP than they have any right to have, ha.

Bloody nuisances. Usually really easy to avoid because having all those sustains up means they're a gigantic multicolored (from sphere of invuln/wandweird/etc.) rolling fog bank (obscurement), but still ruddy annoying.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 10, 2014, 10:08:53 am »

or at the very least have a DC component, same as lockpicking does

I don't see why not.

Also, I see that Incursion's knock "opens all in cone" whereas D&D's is "opens a single."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:32 am »

Thanks for your hard work chooseusername. Incursion may not be my favorite among roguelikes, but it's definitely something I had the urge to go back to time and time again, and it hadn't always been possible for me to do so depending on how temperamental the old code was with Windows. So I do appreciate this.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 10, 2014, 12:54:09 pm »

Also, I see that Incursion's knock "opens all in cone" whereas D&D's is "opens a single."

It is? I thought it was targetted. If so, it.. probably shouldn't be an area effect. Knock DEFINITELY needs a check [Wis+Int bonus, of course], though. As stated it's a free opener otherwise.

Also RE: Frumple, I'm not sure what you mean. I've never had that happen :o Mages are tough, yes, but I've never seen one with more than a handful of persistent enchantments. Unless I wiped them too fast to even notice such things, heh. Note I usually play a climbing lizardman monk with incredible speed/attack speed so anything without armor or damage negation [or specifically countering spells] gets shredded easily.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:00:44 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 10, 2014, 01:01:30 pm »

It is? I thought it was targetted. If so, it.. probably shouldn't be an area effect. Knock DEFINITELY needs a check [Wis+Int bonus, of course], though. As stated it's a free opener otherwise.

D&D wiki lists:
Target:    One door, box, or chest with an area of up to 10 sq. ft./level

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 10, 2014, 01:03:43 pm »

I'm a bit confused by that description.

One door, box or chest with an area of up to 10 sq. ft./level

So... One door, box or chest no matter what is within the area? Or all boxes, doors, and chests within the area of the target+radius added are unlocked? Could just be liberal about it. I just don't want knock to be the end-all be all open everything around you button.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:05:58 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 10, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »

I'm a bit confused by that description.

One door, box or chest with an area of up to 10 sq. ft./level

So... One door, box or chest no matter what is within the area? Or all boxes, doors, and chests within the area of the target+radius added are unlocked? Could just be liberal about it. I just don't want knock to be the end-all be all open everything around you button.

It's weird.

I think it's supposed to read:

1 box/door/whatever that's up to Medium range (100+25ft / level) away from you.  That box/door/whatever cannot itself have an area greater than 10 sq. ft. / level.  So you couldn't target a 10 foot by 10 foot door until you were level 10.  (Edit: that's so weird.  You couldn't even use the spell at 1st level, a standard door has a MINIMUM BY LAW* area of 14 square feet: 6'3" high by 2'3" wide...)

Which is odd, because chests don't have area, they have volume.

For incursion I'd just make it "one target door/chest/whatever up to 100 feet away" (that's 20 tiles, I don't think most people are going to target things that are that far away).  Also totally allow the spell to target blank wall.  IF there's a secret door there, it's revealed and unlocked.  If not, they wasted the mana/wand charge.

Edit 2:
Here's Pathfinder's rules, it still has the weird targeting restrictions, but it does include a DC:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/k/knock
When you complete the casting of this spell, make a caster level check against the DC of the lock (see table at right) with a +10 bonus.
Lock Quality    DC
Simple    20
Average    25
Good    30
Amazing    40

*By which I mean, the smallest door that you can legally build in the US.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:17:23 pm by Draco18s »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 10, 2014, 01:20:05 pm »

(Edit: that's so weird.  You couldn't even use the spell at 1st level, a standard door has a MINIMUM BY LAW* area of 14 square feet: 6'3" high by 2'3" wide...)

Well, it's a second level spell, so you're looking at 30 square feet at least.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 10, 2014, 01:31:59 pm »

(Edit: that's so weird.  You couldn't even use the spell at 1st level, a standard door has a MINIMUM BY LAW* area of 14 square feet: 6'3" high by 2'3" wide...)

Well, it's a second level spell, so you're looking at 30 square feet at least.

Ah, you're right.  I thought I saw it as sorc/wiz 1.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 10, 2014, 01:40:59 pm »

On a so far good dwarven warrior run (nearing level 3) i ran into a couple of sleeping bandits, they woke up, and i destroyed the first one with my good battleaxe in one hit and the other after taking a hit started to flee

I decided to give a try at requesting him to join me (or die), and with my intimidation bonus, he quite logically (pleasantly surprised to see the game making sense considering the enemy situation) accepted to follow me, so i'm leading a "hostile frightened badly wounded male mongrelman brigand".

So my question is : what kind of loyalty i am supposed to expect from this new party member in the game , will he (what would be logical) try to flee as soon as i'll be running into trouble, or is the code going to be have him even willing to die for me at any battle ?

Additionally, my character is neutral good, should i expect some problem with deities regarding having such an ally ?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 62