Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125587 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #630 on: April 06, 2014, 07:04:18 pm »

Pull request submitted to libtcod, which will fix this at the lower level.  After that's accepted, or some other solution is reached, I'll get Incursion working with that and do another release.

Also, thanks for the changelog link, I've copied and pasted it into the new changelog I include in my repo.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 06, 2014, 07:48:47 pm »

Thank you for your work

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 07, 2014, 02:15:08 am »

I'd also like to say that I don't think anyone feels the balance of incursion was perfect, so even if you're trying to stay very true to the original, I think everyone would appreciate some balance fixes as well!
My own personal interest is filling in the gaps in the implementation - things not implemented, bugs and general stability.  I'm not a game designer, so not sure I have the chops to balance the game.  If people have opinions on where balance needs to be established, feel free to chime in.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y4
« Reply #633 on: April 08, 2014, 04:53:57 pm »

An updated download is available on bitbucket.

The primary reason for this release is the tentative support for non-US keyboards, and ability to switch screen resolution/fullscreen/windowed at runtime.

Changes:
  • Issue 39: Fix typo in cave entrance scripts, reported by Tuyen Tran.
  • Issue 37: Fix bug where whips are unable to prevent enemies closing in with their reach, reported by Cranky_Corvids, fix provided by Carl Minden.
  • Issue 38: Fix bug where when monsters died, they dropped their inventory.  But rather than clearing the flag on the item which marked the item as their property (and not something they could be ordered to give to the orderer), they cleared every other flag including as noted here the cursed flag.
  • Issue 28: Extended knock spell description to refer to locked containers in general, and not just doors.
  • Fix for resolution changing (via the options menu), and switching between full screen and windows (alt+enter).
  • Preliminary fix for bug with some keyboards where people using non-US keyboard layouts find keys do not work as expected.  Please give feedback if this does not work for you, and how it is not working.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 08, 2014, 05:26:15 pm »

Thank you very much, the keys now seems to work great, at least the ones i have tried and couldn't use in previous version

I noticed a problem new to this version :
I move with the numeric keypad, when i enter a described room or corridor, the text that describe it popup and immediately disappear before i can read it, this didn't happened in previous version.

Now if instead of using the numpad i use the arrow keys to move, the flavor text popup and does not disappear, allowing me to read it.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 08, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »

Thank you very much, the keys now seems to work great, at least the ones i have tried and couldn't use in previous version

I noticed a problem new to this version :
I move with the numeric keypad, when i enter a described room or corridor, the text that describe it popup and immediately disappear before i can read it, this didn't happened in previous version.

Now if instead of using the numpad i use the arrow keys to move, the flavor text popup and does not disappear, allowing me to read it.
Ah, this sounds right.  I can't really guarantee correct numpad behaviour, as I do not have a numpad to test with.

Does numlock make a difference?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 08, 2014, 05:54:36 pm »

Yes, it looks like without numlock the popup does not immediately disappear, behaviour seems to be correct like that, only side effect is that Numpad "." then does not produce the "." to wait for a turn anymore as expected but i can access it through the regular "." of the keyboard so it is not a problem, thanks.

edit : ran into a problem, at some point i found some runed shurikens, decided to give them a try just for fun and dropped my halberd . They happened to be cursed so i couldn't switch back to my halberd

The game warned me that i was empty handed, i pressed enter , moved a tile and the game warned me again that i was emoty handed, i pressed enter , etc... every single turn the warning popped up.

edit2 : when trying to change the windowed resolution ingame to see if it does not popup the error message, i noticed that pressing space seems to act as if i pressed the key 2 or 3 times, jumping over several resolutions in the list
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:58:08 pm by Robsoie »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 08, 2014, 07:53:32 pm »

edit : ran into a problem, at some point i found some runed shurikens, decided to give them a try just for fun and dropped my halberd . They happened to be cursed so i couldn't switch back to my halberd

The game warned me that i was empty handed, i pressed enter , moved a tile and the game warned me again that i was emoty handed, i pressed enter , etc... every single turn the warning popped up.
This sounds like a different bug.  To be clear, you have shuriken in your ready hand, and can't unequip them.  But you can't, or haven't put them in your weapon hand, which means you get the Empty Hand Warning.  Right?

The shuriken shouldn't be triggering this warning, if in your weapon hand.  While it doesn't solve anything, this warning can also be toggled with the menu option Empty Hand Warning.

I'm not sure what the correct fix for this is.  I wonder if cursed items should be less shallow, where the curse once active is separate from the item in some way.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 08, 2014, 07:57:51 pm »

edit2 : when trying to change the windowed resolution ingame to see if it does not popup the error message, i noticed that pressing space seems to act as if i pressed the key 2 or 3 times, jumping over several resolutions in the list
This is the same problem as the cause of the keypad problem, and will be fixed in the next version.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 08, 2014, 09:19:50 pm »

This sounds like a different bug.  To be clear, you have shuriken in your ready hand, and can't unequip them.  But you can't, or haven't put them in your weapon hand, which means you get the Empty Hand Warning.  Right?

The shuriken shouldn't be triggering this warning, if in your weapon hand.  While it doesn't solve anything, this warning can also be toggled with the menu option Empty Hand Warning.

I'm not sure what the correct fix for this is.  I wonder if cursed items should be less shallow, where the curse once active is separate from the item in some way.
The oddity is that while i couldn't drop them, i could throw them one by one at monsters (didn't managed to throw them all to see if i could re-equip the halberd to make the message stop as my adventurer met an unfortunate situation leading into a yasd by monster hitting him stronger than my health allowed  :D

I don't remember which hands they were, the ready one or the weapon one, the only sure thing is that i assigned them to a hand (as i had to drop my halberd) then from there each turn led into the popup warning me.

Thanks for the mention about the possibility to disable that message, i didn't noticed it was in the options, next time it happens i'll be able to prevent this.

Maybe a possible fix would be to have a "warning empty handed" red (so can't be missed) line being added to the panel in the left, just above "Things in View"  so you can still have the warning as long as you're empty handed but without the popup.
But i have no idea on how to code so can't say if it's possible within the game structure

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 09, 2014, 01:29:59 am »

The oddity is that while i couldn't drop them, i could throw them one by one at monsters (didn't managed to throw them all to see if i could re-equip the halberd to make the message stop as my adventurer met an unfortunate situation leading into a yasd by monster hitting him stronger than my health allowed  :D

I don't remember which hands they were, the ready one or the weapon one, the only sure thing is that i assigned them to a hand (as i had to drop my halberd) then from there each turn led into the popup warning me.

Thanks for the mention about the possibility to disable that message, i didn't noticed it was in the options, next time it happens i'll be able to prevent this.
Hmm.  I suspect that it will let you throw all but one, and that it is in your best interest to go collect the ones you've already thrown if possible.  I believe the general rule is that you cannot remove a cursed item, and it makes sense that you can deplete the quantity down to the last, in order to make them somewhat usable still.

Maybe a possible fix would be to have a "warning empty handed" red (so can't be missed) line being added to the panel in the left, just above "Things in View"  so you can still have the warning as long as you're empty handed but without the popup.
But i have no idea on how to code so can't say if it's possible within the game structure
It's an easy change to make.  I'll mull it over, there's a range of different ways to make it less of an annoying mystery that can only be solved by a encyclopedic knowledge of menu options.  I'm thinking it should be solved in a more general way, for all similar messages.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 09, 2014, 01:32:12 am »

Currently, the knock spell was described as only affecting doors.  However, it also works on any form of lockable container.  The question is, should it be cut back to only apply to doors, or should it work in a more general way as it does now?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 09, 2014, 01:41:18 am »

It looks like the knock spell can be used for more than only doors :
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Knock

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 09, 2014, 02:50:39 am »

It looks like the knock spell can be used for more than only doors :
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Knock

Here's what Incursion had:
Magically causes all doors in your line of fire within 60
    feet to open. This spell opens locked doors but does expose secret
    doors. This spell opens wizard-locked doors but does not remove the
    wizard-locked enchantment.
Hmm.  It's a bit of a mess.  The spell will cast if locked containers are nearby, as well as unopened doors.. but it only actually unlocks doors.  Honestly, I'm tempted to go with the dnd description.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 09, 2014, 05:32:51 am »

Where's all our experienced Incursion players? We've got a new dev who needs playtesting and gameplay complaints.

I'll be following your work intensely. Expect a list of things I exploit regularly [and things I generally hate, usually total balance-breakers]. Since I couldn't finish Incursion without cheating in one way or another, really.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 62