Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125599 times)

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #600 on: March 17, 2014, 11:51:40 pm »

I couldn't tell you any specifics -- or what, precisely, is causing it -- or how to fix it, but I can tell you the cause is probably related to either your operating system or your video card. Inc goes a little wonky with more than few. Best suggestion would probably be to try it on a different machine, or possibly try running it in a virtual machine for an older OS. Could give comparability modes and whatnot a try, but I doubt it would help much.
Oh. I don't know how, but I fixed it. How bizarre... Oh well, thanks for trying to help. I'm just glad I get to play the game.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 18, 2014, 06:24:03 pm »

The lawful good was a necessity to get Immotian who's lay on hands saved my life at least 2ce. By about level 5 i had enough pots (and def) that he was unnecessary, but by then I was getting on well with Hesani (among others) that I needed the good, and +30% xp is hard to pass up just so I can smash routers especially when I can "offer terms" for more Hesani favor.

As far as jewelry goes, I got alot of crap. and alot of duplicates. The bile amulet was mostly useless, as was most of everything else. I had 2 rings of fire resist that I made use of until Immotian just gave me immunity. And I had a cursed ring of regen which I could have easily uncursed with a pot, but I got it off Murgash and by then it was extraneous and excessive so I didn't even bother.
Though I had high crafting, I always had other things to do with my time ( alchemy, brewing, healing) so I wanted a way to reduce damage to my equipment. Hence acid resists. The animal neutrality ring was equipped because of a lack of other options ( I already had hesani's neutrality). I was hoping to find a way to bump it up to +3 so I could get animal empathy just for kicks.

The boots of stability was because of the resist polymorph which scares the Bejeebus out of me. Nothing like seeing all your amazing and essential weapons and shield fall off so a mob of dwarf paladins can casually don them and refuse to sell them back. Engineering a way to kill them without taking an alignment hit is nearly impossible. I found them early and only occasionally took them off. I never used the levitation boots, tho I have used them quite a bit with most of my other warriors, this one was lucky enough to have body equilibrium as a perk which allowed water walking.

Complicity transgressions was disabled. It doesn't seem to be completely reliable. Oh, looking back at the dump... it wasn't. That's frustrating and hilarious. Well, props to me.

I actually was really happy with the loot I found ( I had 3 backpacks full of potions, scrolls, and wands that I couldn't convince myself were useless. It only seems to list 1 pack) I wish I had a regen ring earlier so I didn't need resilient. That would have saved me 2 feats. I would have loved to have great cleave for Murgash's army.

I wasn't aiming for crits, it just happened xD.
I couldn't find any way to train luck besides fountains (it seems there's a limit to how much they will train too)

I sac'd to Asherath as soon as I found the pantheon (level 2-3). It let me have lay worshiper, but nothing would allow me to gain favor. and apparently you only gain levels when you sac, even if you have enough favor and even if the sac itself gives no favor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 18, 2014, 07:53:30 pm »

Re: Luck: Fountains can only train so much per dungeon level, same with any other stat training. The full list found here, for a bit longer is
Luck
   * Adventuring at a dungeon depth higher than your character level trains luck -- it's dangerous and involves great risk-taking!
   * Using an item with a random effect (such as a wand of wonder) and getting a beneficial effect trains Luck. [Note from frumple: I don't think there are any random effect items in the game >_>. Well, except that hat, maybe...
   * Using a magical fountain and gaining a beneficial effect trains Luck.
   * Surviving a critical hit from an enemy trains Luck.

And ah, re: Stability. Yeah, about the only way to get stuff back without an alignment hit is bartering or requesting them back which... I think requires a minimum of 13 cha, at least for the former. You can also usually summon stuff on top of them if you've got complicity turned off >_>

As for loot hiding... iirc, the work-around to that was to drop your bags on the ground before taking the character dump.

Aannndd re: Ashy, yeah, I don't remember if he was bugged or not... think he was at one point, but I want to say he wasn't in the latest version (Which, iirc, was actually 6.9H4. If you check the change log, .9H2 and .9I are identical. I'm... about to go check, actually.). Would have to kick on an ashy priest to check, I guess, but... lazy. Dude was always a bit of a pain to gain favor with, despite being arguably one of the best gods for casters (due to that inherent potential... a human ashy wizard can get ridiculous spell DCs, hohoho... ashy/sabine would be even better, but sabine's even more annoying to worship, to a degree.).

E: Yup. H4 is newer than I. Boss M never did fix that for us poor windows buggers...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:58:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »

I knew about the list, the part I missed was the "per dungeon level" part. Thanks.
Fountains were pretty rare. Also, it appears you gain luck regardless of what the fountain gives you.

I have 6.9I
I take it .9h4 is not for windows?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 18, 2014, 09:00:19 pm »

Nah. .9H4 is for windows (though there's mac and linux versions, too), it's just boss M updated to I on the website and didn't notice the mistake. If you want it, just download it from here. It'll DL as a .man file, but 7zip (and presumably winrar et al) will open it fine.

As for fountain frequency, m'pretty sure it varies somewhat by luck. Silly slinger halflings (read: Starting with 22 luck) will usually see one every level or two at the least. On top of rolling in all the other loot that pops up, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 19, 2014, 04:15:57 pm »

Here is where the direct action will be happening while it gets situated however it does with folks trying to unravel the mysteries, fix things, and so on:

https://github.com/rmtew/incursion-roguelike

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 23, 2014, 06:15:18 am »

the future of incursion now?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 24, 2014, 03:25:19 pm »

Just popping in here for a moment, great to see that the source has been released.  Maybe now someone else will pick up and carry the torch.

Anyways, for anyone having issues with the game screen not updating (but otherwise running "fine"), I've been experiencing the same with 6.9I on my machine.  My way of working around it is to pull up Windows media player and play some songs, then turn on visualization, maximize the screen and put it in the background.  So, basically, it just makes a bunch of pretty shapes and colors and whatnot.  Then I put the Incursion window on top of that.

The point is, if you have something updating in the background behind Incursion, the screen will update normally.  So put on a movie or some sort of music visuals, and situate the playing area in front of that.  It should update and play as usual.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 24, 2014, 04:29:27 pm »

Actually, the hosting hub has moved again to here:

https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike

In progress news, that old Allegro has been smashed out to have libtcod fill the role instead, though there's some wonkiness with color display it seems that somebody will eventually have to get sorted.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 24, 2014, 04:58:16 pm »

I certainly hope that libtcod's full power will be brought to bear in this. There are few games out there that I think have utilized it to the best of its ability.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 25, 2014, 07:43:41 am »

It begins, with a likely perhaps unstable new Windows binary, but it begins nonetheless with all the details here:

http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=4027.0

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 25, 2014, 09:23:06 am »

Any reason this random guy has what is basically the new official repo? Him changing hosts with basically no notification or explanation doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 25, 2014, 03:02:54 pm »

Any reason this random guy has what is basically the new official repo? Him changing hosts with basically no notification or explanation doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

It looks to me like he has the code because he's the guy who convinced Journeyman to release it.  And because he has the desire and will to work on it.

Do you think he will make the situation worse than they were?  It's possible, I guess.  But the old 6.9H4 release isn't going to vanish.

As for him having control... he doesn't.  Branch if you wish, the code is licensed under the Open Gaming License.
[indent](Caveat: I haven't checked that the license actually included in the released code is identical to the stock OGL; you should check that before you do anything major.)[/indent]

It is funny that he was on Github for a week, and then jumped to bitbucket.  (Never heard of them before.)  But it's less strange than changing hosting site after starting development.  Maybe the project doesn't fit the Github policies?

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 26, 2014, 07:13:56 am »

That download is now updated to moreso work as intended after modifying the compiling process and inclusions.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:54 am »

A new windows binary might be what gets me back to this, especially with the move to libtcode. The old rendering caused some issues with modern computers, though I do hope other OSes get their chance at this eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 62