Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125541 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #450 on: September 03, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »

Haha, enjoy. Humans are actually a strong contender for 'best race in Incursion' (a pretty incredible contrast to most fantasy-based games, ha!), along with drow and possibly halflings, but they're not the easiest to get off the ground (that's definitely drow) -- their strength comes more from long term potential than immediate power. Still hella'kicking getting off the ground, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »

The monster AI is the smartest I have ever seen in a roguelike.  While playing last time, I 'heard' a fight going on in the room next to me.  I entered the room to find another adventurer fighting an Orc on his own!  When I entered the room, the Orc had to make the decision to come after me or the other guy.  When I backed away, to ready my bow, the Orc quickly decided that the other adventurer was the easier target, and went after him - literally chasing him down the opposite hallway!  Later I found the body of the adventurer, but no sign of the Orc.  Wow!

I am SOLD, monsters that know things other than mindless murder? Man, I need to start playing this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 03, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »

There's still a lot of mindless murder ;D

But yeah, the other things in the dungeon aren't always hostile to you and friendly to everything else. You'll run into parties of orcs that won't fight other orcs, but will throw down with the tiny adventuring parties running around, dragons you can barter with, druids riding herd over a pack of animals, and internecine violence of all shapes and forms. Monster AI's pretty wonky still (one of the reasons for the refactor, heh), but it's also one of the more feature-filled ones in the roguelike sphere.

But the simple fact that you can have little chats with non-hostile or 'quelled' (enemies talked out of killing you) and sometimes get little bonuses from it (minor mapping effects, a free ID of something, stuff like that) makes Incursion's monster system one of the best roguelikes have to offer. All the rest of it is just icing to being able to have a friendly chat with an illithid :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2011, 11:04:15 pm »

I really like the lore behind Kysul. The whole Lovecraftian Cosmic Horror, but good seems pretty original.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 04, 2011, 01:35:11 am »

I really like the lore behind Kysul. The whole Lovecraftian Cosmic Horror, but good seems pretty original.

I like the deity lore in general.  It's a nicely different take on "Good" and "Evil" alignments.  It's pretty self-consistent as well.

What I can't stand is worshiping one of the deities.  Gah!  So annoying!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 04, 2011, 01:57:14 am »

Zurvash is pretty easy as long as you're not a not-druid relying on summons. Lay worshipping him until you at least get toughness is a solid idea for pretty much anyone that has the alignment reqs. He basically just wants you to kill everything :P

Asherath's not bad if you can find a way to not need much sleep (i.e. avoid stat damage), and several of the good gods (Xavias and Essiah immediately come to mind) are pretty easy to get along with if you can stand the XP hit from not murdering everything.

Mara's generally a cinch to get by with, especially once she turns most undead neutral to you -- I've had two winning mara paladins, iirc. Just turn off complacency, heh. That's a good idea for everyone worshipping good gods, though. Especially if you use allies, at all. (Just don't abuse it by killing all the neutral things with summons ;D)

Multitude's bloody easy to worship if you lay worship. Lay worshippers don't get hit with the healing annoyance. Necromancy users or folks with feed on pain can get by, too. Just not well. Which is kinda' fair. Used to be everyone not wanting to deal with god issues just worshipped the multitude.

Sabine's pretty easy to get along with if you don't use allies, and Semirath's just kinda' neutral, so long as you can stand being good.

The rest (Aiswin, Erich, Ekliazeh, Hesani, Immotian, Khasrach, Kysul, and Xel) are more fiddly, but generally doable. Except Maeve. Maeve is the other reason it sucks to be an elf, along with the fact that their chance of survival has a direct negative correlation with the amount of orcs they encounter :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 04, 2011, 02:16:25 am »

How do you people ever get past level 1  :-[?
This game is way harder than other games are at level 1.

Time to start over again, I'll go for an evil Drow priest this time I guess.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 04, 2011, 02:29:37 am »

There's some DitLs (Let's Plays, whatever you want to call 'em. Playthroughs, basically.) in the incursion google group which might help out a bit. For an easy thing to get used to the game with, try a drow ranger with as high a dex and willpower as you can manage (without gimping your other stats). Go with either archery or two-weapon style. Pick up animal bond and either weapon finesse or mounted combat if you go two weapon or point-blank shot if you go archery. Get ride as high as you can take it. Take a nighthunter as your animal companion, mount it, and then go to town.

Alternately, go lizardman druid with at least 15 int and as high wis/str/dex (in that order) as you can manage. Spew dust devils and summon nature's ally at everything. Anything that doesn't work on, either hit with ice dagger or buff up with magic fang and claw to death. Take a plague of monkeys as your animal companion, until you can get your balance skill to 20 -- then getcha' self a nighthunter, mount it, and go to town :P

For more specific advice, would have to know what it is that's killing you. Incursion's... actually one of the easier roguelikes, in my experience. This is testified by the fact that I've beat it multiple times, heh. I've only done that with two other roguelikes (crawl, twice, ToME 4, a few times) and neither of those to the extent I've managed to get through Inc. If I can do it, so can most anyone else :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 04, 2011, 02:40:18 am »

Well let me describe what just killed me :P
I was a level 1 Drow Priest serving the Multitude.
I entered a room and saw a frightened Modron fleeing. I summoned a holy creature (although they never turn out to be holy...) next to it to see what it would do. It was a fiendish tiefling.
I than saw a skeletal javelin-throwing orc so I attacked it. My tiefling kills it and suddenly starts attacking me. The Modron tries to help me with some sort of shock bolt but the Tiefling kills me first.

That's what usually happens. I see an enemy, and it decides to rape me. Although I have never had a summon kill me before :-X

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 04, 2011, 02:56:23 am »

Multitude was a bad idea :P The ghosts don't like it when non-lay worshippers use healing potions, which is basically impossible to play except for some very specific builds. Evil summoning priests have trouble, at th'mo, because multitude is/was basically the go-to evil god. Asherath is probably their best bet, or possibly Xel. Asherath is the less finicky of the two, though.

That was strange, though. Summoned critters won't attack you unless you manage to damage or inflict some negative status on them, somehow. AoE debuffs (such as bane, ferex) are pretty risky for summoners. Just to check, what version are you playing? The website gives 9I, but 9H4 is actually the most recent one. Never did get that straightened out before Julian went on hiatus/refactoring spree :-\

Here is a mediafire copy I just uploaded, heh.

Anyway, if you're going for using summoning as your main weapon, go for overkill. You want good wisdom (which is the primary mana pool governing stat), and then you want to summon and keep summoning until everything is dead... basically. Instead of summoning one critter in that situation, your better bet would have been to summon about four. One on each side of each critter attacking you, making sure to get one summon in between you and the enemy. You do want to be efficient as possible to keep your mana over the regen line (which I've never quite figured out where is, bleh, but it's supposed to be ~50% of your non-held pool... I think.), but generally your answer to all problems is going to be 'more summons'. I think I've cleared as low as dlvl 7 or so more or less entirely with a first level summon spell, spammed to the extreme.

If you're going to use summons as support, summon one behind or beside an enemy, then approach. You get a flanking bonus when you've got 'em surrounded.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:59:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 04, 2011, 03:28:29 am »

Oh so you can summon multiple of them >.>
Also, I did cast feary (?) fire on the enemy next to the summon. I didn't know it was an AoE spell..

Actually I just played another game and died again. I was playing a Lizardfolk Paladin and I had a party of 3 riding lizards and a Frogman (grippler?) with a bow. After a tunnel the lizards couldn't get through but the frogman could. Later we killed a Boa but when I entered another tunnel the Frog walks the other way and 'readies his weapon'. I decide to help him and only find his corpse with all his stuff. What killed him?

Later I get over 1000 XP but even after resting I don't level up :(
I found a maze with trees or something and entered it. I than lose my lizards again (they teleported to me again when I went a level lower). I get stuck in the maze and three kobolds attack me. I couldn't get unstuck because I need to roll 14 with a 1d20-7. Which is impossible >.>

The Bolds than decided to kill me.

Also, healing potions? How to use them?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:02 am »

q for quaff. This takes a little less time if the potion in question is on your shoulders or belt. There'll always be five healing potions in the starting room, along with three dimdoor potions and a see invis one. If any of those are missing, something with an inventory and a willingness to pick junk up is in the room with you, or just walked through :P

To gain a level, hit d, then g. Also, check the manual. There's a lot of good stuff there. ? in game brings up a full command list, among other things.

As for the unstuck, you auto-succeed on those if you roll a twenty, which probably isn't going to save you in a combat situation. The -7 is coming from armor/shields, which negatively impacts certain skills. Heavy armor characters actually tend to be harder to play than lighter armor ones, at least in the early game.

Faerie fire is indeed an AoE debuff, and will anger your allies.

Some (well, all, technically, but it's generally not an issue unless you're using size-enlarging spells/abilities...) tunnels are smaller than others, and creatures that are over a certain size can't enter them. That's what kept your riding lizard friends from entering. Some guys are small enough to enter, but must 'crouch down' (or something to that effect)to do so, which gives some combat penalties if you're fighting in there. You could have also rode any of the riding lizards -- hit y, then select mount (It starts at H if you haven't used the 'y'use menu for anything else, but after that, it'll bring your last used command to the top.), then whatever you want to ride. You have to be beside them, of course.

Gripplis are really nice. They usually have a couple of healing potions on them, which you can either barter for (t -> b, if you have at least... 13? Either that or 10. charisma. You can also request them, even if your cha's too low to barter) or murder them and loot from the corpses. They're also really flimsy, so you can usually one-shot them. Which is good, because it keeps them from drinking the healing potions :P Not sure what killed your friend. It may have been a frost slug, which are naturally invisible but usually non-hostile (to the player, not necessarily anything else). If something you can't see starts biting you in the early game... it's probably a frost slug.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:46:45 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 04, 2011, 04:47:04 am »

Ok, thanks. I was wondering what the quaff option was.
Also, when I use the mount skill/ability, I gain a new lizard. That is the reason I got three of them. Is this intended?
Next game will be with potions, I hope that will make it easier >.>

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 04, 2011, 10:20:36 am »

This thread makes me sad, realizing how long I've been waiting for the new Incursion version... playing again, though -- instantly reminded at how nice Incursion is.

Interestingly, dual wielding two tiny weapons gives you the offhand same size as main hand penalty, when you can't actually... get any smaller. Annoying.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 04, 2011, 11:09:03 am »

Ok, thanks. I was wondering what the quaff option was.
Also, when I use the mount skill/ability, I gain a new lizard. That is the reason I got three of them. Is this intended?

It's intended, but caveat -- mount uses held mana. Day-length ("Persistent," in their description) and certain other spells consume mana from your max mana, not your current. The mana returns after you sleep, but until then, you don't get it back. So, while you can cast mount repeatedly, you'll pretty rapidly chew through your mana reserves, especially at clvl 1. Persistent spells (and a few others, like most of the cure X wounds) are basically mana investments -- you (temporarily) give up some of your reserves for a constant effect.

Certain other roguelikes (Crawl, *bands) would be much improved by doing that with their buff spells :-\

I thought I'd try this, since I did once or twice long ago. I'm running into technical difficulties- Firing up Incursion usually results in a black window or it gets stuck telling me my resolution won't suffice.

Is it Windows 7? Something else?

This, I'm not sure. Does it let you hit y (i.e. yes) to try to make it change to a resolution that will? Have you tried fullscreen (alt+enter... maybe)? What resolution are you using? Sounds like a video card or OS issue, though.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62