Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125631 times)

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #735 on: April 18, 2014, 11:36:42 am »

I rolled myself up an orc druid and a lizardfolk pally just to see how Animal Empathy and Diplomacy work so that I can think on how to best implement them in Veins.

Then I enabled wizard mode because I got annoyed that everything seemed to kill me.

E: Have you seen the Veins of the Earth thread?

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2014, 09:02:32 pm »

Oh aye, I was using that constantly through the whole go. It's part of the normal game -- s'why there's an option to disable turning it on in the character generation options. Tremendously useful for testing things quickly, or just playing around with silly things, like clockwork berserkers or half-dragon kobolds.
Ah well, you know the game better than me :-)
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 18, 2014, 10:36:31 pm »

I, uh. I i uh...

... D&D players out there. Are... are gricks supposed to be able to laugh? Because, ah.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 19, 2014, 01:18:59 am »

I don't think they are supposed to, I think it's an effect of a spell. Can't remember which one, though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 19, 2014, 01:36:12 am »

Oh, that's definitely the results of a spell. Hideous Laughter (Enchantment, Mage 2), specifically. 1d4 turns of can't-do-jack, for the low price of 2 (4, for non-enchanters) mana. Mostly I was wondering how a grick is managing laughter at all. It understands the concept of humor? Its physiology is capable of producing laughter? I mean, apparently, since it is, but... I've seen artist renditions of a grick, now. That is not the face of something capable of a chuckle. Most other critters of similar sorts can't manage it. Snakes, most birds... most animals, really.*

Maybe hideous laughter should, in fact, be a thaum/ench spell that generates laughing organs on creatures that don't have them?

*My actual guess is it's an odd interaction with the gnome vermin affinity stuff rendering gricks capable of speech, insofar as the engine is concerned, and thus capable of laughter.

E: Either that, or there's a minimum intelligence threshold or something along those lines. Never really paid too terribly much attention re: what exactly hideous laughter can target. Haven't played enchanters very often, heh.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:50:07 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 19, 2014, 02:07:55 am »

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideousLaughter.htm

Minimum intelligence of 2 and a +4 to save for different type. Cross-referenced Pathfinder SRD, but it's the same. The grick has an intelligence of 3.

Either we assume it's simply convulsing due to the belly/whatever muscles working or we raise the Int limit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 19, 2014, 02:40:07 am »

Mm... or just add the int component to the description. Closest thing the description comes to mentioning that is saying it only effects "sapient" creatures, whatever that means from a mechanics perspective.

Gives me a better idea of what the thing can target, anyway. Not something odd going on, just a description that's not as transparent as most.

Still. Laughing grick. Not sure what that would sound like, but...
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 19, 2014, 03:05:53 am »

Well, monkeys in d&d are set as Int 3 too
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monkey.htm

And monkeys being capable of laughing, not producing of course the same laughing sound as a human in the situation, so i imagine a grick being as smart as a monkey should be capable of such behaviour but what we call laughing may sound or look very different when coming from such a tentacled thing.

Maybe it's the description text ingame that should adjust to non-sapient, something like "creaturename convulse uncontrollably" while emitting strange sounds
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:09:09 am by Robsoie »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 19, 2014, 07:39:05 am »

Just had a play with it, I'd personally prefer to up the int. limit. It seems as though it'd make more sense, and it's a pretty good spell which could withstand a little nerf.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 19, 2014, 04:22:05 pm »

Downloads are increasing, with the latest version reaching 150x versus a previous high of 64x.  The highest referrers are RogueTemple, RogueBasin and reddit.  Otherwise, most of the other referrers are bay12, somethingawful and somewhere on 4chan.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 19, 2014, 11:05:26 pm »

Just had a play with it, I'd personally prefer to up the int. limit. It seems as though it'd make more sense, and it's a pretty good spell which could withstand a little nerf.

Per the 3.5 rules, anything with an int over 3 is sapient. 1 & 2 are reserved for animals. This is a convention so that it's impossible to roll a non-sapinet human character on 3d6.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 20, 2014, 12:51:57 am »

Spoiler: Ruddy gremlins (click to show/hide)

And there was still something like another half page of corpses. Plus more outside that square. Gremlins coming across a water source is always a bit of a hoot. Providing you have a way to deal with huge numbers of tanglefoot bags and bolas, anyway. Also providing you do not get in melee range, because that many stacks of swarm tactics will annihilate basically anything.

Not exactly complaining about the >2k XP I netted from a single shot of scouring wand, though >_>
Ask not!
Ask!

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 20, 2014, 04:02:15 am »

Do disguises work now?  :)

Also, are there plans to implement the (unimplemented) stuff?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:15:05 am by Bitoru »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 20, 2014, 05:57:51 am »

Also providing you do not get in melee range, because that many stacks of swarm tactics will annihilate basically anything.

Is there no limit to the number of monsters in a stack ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 20, 2014, 08:04:20 am »

Soooorta'? I'm kinda' fuzzy on the details. But most of the limitations I can recall of stuff sitting in the same square are size-based. Things like gremlins, kobolds... basically anything smaller than human sized (possibly -- probably? -- human-sized, as well) can stack up in a square kinda' indefinitely, like some kind of geographically localized clown car. It's mostly things like large-size and larger critters that can't occupy the same square.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 62