Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125598 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #675 on: April 10, 2014, 01:54:27 pm »

The bandit is... still hostile, unfortunately. Diplomacy was still just a bit buggy. By which I mean impressively functional for something so incredibly non-functioning. That which says hostile, is.

E: Also, yes, if the bandit was actually your ally and you didn't have complicity disabled (Note: Disable freaking complicity. Allies and alignment do not play well together, at all.), it would quite promptly crap all over your alignment (yes, annoying any gods that troubles) until something killed it.

Also RE: Frumple, I'm not sure what you mean. I've never had that happen :o Mages are tough, yes, but I've never seen one with more than a handful of persistent enchantments. Unless I wiped them too fast to even notice such things, heh. Note I usually play a climbing lizardman monk with incredible speed/attack speed so anything without armor or damage negation [or specifically countering spells] gets shredded easily.
Yeah, kick on wizard mode and challenge or nightmare difficulty, pop down to 10+ depth, and hit a caster with a high powered dispel wand. I've seen literally over a hundred sustain effects drop at once, before, iirc (It may have "only" been a several dozen, I'unno.). And this was in latest version (H4), yes. Casters will generate with literally every sustain they can cast, cast. Lower level stuff, that's not that big of a deal, but with high CL templated things (or, y'know, cast-capable dragons) it gets silly.

Though nah, you were probably just getting lucky. When you melee a high CL caster that's got its sustain boner popped, you will know it.* Because somewhere between a fifth and half your life will disappear every time you try to give 'em a love tap, due to the stacked retaliation shields. Also they will probably have more HP than you. And you'll be fighting them in a fog bank.

* Actually, you'll know it long before then because you'll see the aura effects from a room away, once you start getting deep enough.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:57:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 10, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »

I'm a bit baffled by how that happens. How do they generate with all the enchantments already cast? I was thinking they'd need to spend all those turns casting those enchantments, to start with them is ridiculous. I imagine a mage spawning in Incursion must look a lot like spontaneous matter generation. That might be a good thing to look into, chooseusername.  :)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 10, 2014, 02:13:02 pm »

It's just how they generate. Critter pops, all sustains come up, and off they go. Iirc, it was a kludge until proper AI for sustain choice was implemented. About the only way to deal with it is dispelling or something that the horrendous sustain wall doesn't stop, or taking a nap somewhere and letting the sustains cancel naturally. Generally, it just reaches a point where fighting casters (well, arcane ones, anyway. Divine and feral ones have considerably less massive bullshit.) is just... not worth it. They've got massive tells they're there and aren't even remotely worth fighting for most characters. You start just, well, going around. Or luring them into another room or whatev' and letting them kill everything for you.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 10, 2014, 02:25:54 pm »

My "ally" met his unfortunate demise very soon after accepting to join, a shadow ooze attacked him in a corridor and probably due to his heavy wounded status 1 shot-ed him.
I avenged my new found reluctant best pal.

I didn't disable anything from the options, so i guess that complicity was then enabled (if it's enabled by default) , our "friendship" probably didn't last long enough for alignement problem kicking in.
But at least despite being hostile he didn't tried to betray me :)

Something i really enjoy in Incursion is that you're not "the only enemy of everyone".
I ran into a Hedge Maze at some point and hear sounds of battle, i went apparently too late on location, as there were a lot of corpse already from goblins, orcs and various sprites and spiders.

I had to break the only surviving orc as he was trying to attack me, but it's great to see that npc are not necessarly only targetting you/allies, and the battlefield result meant there was a lot of items to loot around with the corpses.

Give a feeling that factions, parties and etc... may have their own agenda and goals, even if it's made simple, it improves the atmosphere a lot.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 10, 2014, 02:30:51 pm »

It'd be nice if it were entirely intentional, too :P

Which... yeah, the first time you run into an adventurer party that's in the process of murdering itself because all their mounts are hostile, but they aren't (or weren't, anyway), well... or the good ol' orc chieftain and normal orcs having different hostility states thing. It's great walking into an orc compound and having most of them already dead, for a certain variety of great. There is some intentional hostility (alignment based mostly, iirc.), but much of it is varying sorts of hostility bugs.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 10, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »

That's the kind of bug i can live with then as it build a better atmosphere :)

What kind of character level is recommended to go into another depth ?
My dwarven warrior is level 3 but i'm not sure if i should continue clearing the current depth i'm in or if i should go down.

And another question, what is the store actually buying from you ?
Everytime i tried to sell an (uncursed) item i found but was of no use to my current character, the store guy just refused to buy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 10, 2014, 03:00:12 pm »

The store will only buy items from dwarves, iirc, and then possibly only gems or ore. Though it may be gems only from everyone, and items only from dwarves, don't quite remember the details. Suffice it to say only dwarves are going to be able to sell much to the guy. Gems and ore you get by mining out deposits in the walls.

E: The manual has this to say,
Items can be sold with the Sell ('s') command, which allows you to select any item from your inventory and offer it to whoever you are bartering with. Most people won't be interested in most items, however. Roark Ironbeard will always buy the valuable gems gained from mining, however, and will also purchase powerful magical arms and armor from persuasive characters -- those with a Diplomacy rating modified by any social modifiers of +12 or higher.
   Shopkeepers will only purchase a finite number of items from any given character over the course of an entire game. This prevents 'grinding', encouraging players to sell only a rare few valuable items rather than spending endless time carting large amounts of loot up to sell to shopkeepers to scum for gold. The number of items a shopkeeper will buy is always a character's Diplomacy score, adjusted by any social modifiers, divided by a set constant -- four, in the case of Roark Ironbeard.
Think what I may have been remember re: dwarves is that race is one of the social modifiers mentioned, and Roark is a bit of a racist :P

Especially if you're playing a high luck or challenge+ difficulty character, I wouldn't worry too much about gold, though. Just collecting gold and platinum, it's very easy to finish the game with several hundred thousand pieces worth, and nothing worth buying is even a fraction of that.

As for depth -- just clear out as much as you can, if you're not comfortable. You can run low (level below depth) or high (level above depth) as you please. Staying ahead of depth by a level is fairly normal for the first few floors if you're exploring and killing everything, and leveling up immediately*. It's very possible to survive 2-3 levels below dungeon depth, though, and you'll likely be running 1-2 low if you're worshiping Asherath. It varies pretty wildly, though, depending on that run's conditions and your playing style.

*I tend to be level 3 or 4 before leaving the first level -- usually the former, but sometimes the latter, especially if there's a graveyard and I've got a build that can kick them over -- and 4-5 before leaving the second. Patter roughly continues until hitting level 11 probably somewhere in the depth 8-10 range.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:05:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 10, 2014, 03:23:32 pm »

Posting to watch so I don't forget about this when I get time to play.  All the past tense on this last page is scary, but sounds like chooseusername has come to the rescue  :)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 10, 2014, 05:15:11 pm »

Thanks for the precision, i'll not waste time in trying to see what the store can buy or not.
I'll see how much clearing the level will bring my character, not sure if i can get to level 4 as i think i cleared most of it and i've only recently reached 3

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 11, 2014, 01:57:34 pm »

is this a complete game? is it complete enough to finish? I read that there are alot of crash bugs?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 11, 2014, 02:02:55 pm »

I read that there are alot of crash bugs?

There is not even one alot in Incursion.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 11, 2014, 02:22:22 pm »

is this a complete game? is it complete enough to finish? I read that there are alot of crash bugs?
It's complete enough to finish what it is, yes. There's not (or wasn't -- not sure how many choose has gotten to, yet) so much a lot of crash bugs so much as one or two that are really easy to trigger. Big two I remember is stuff being summoned around chasms (which isn't guaranteed to cause a crash, but likely) and ammunition landing too far from a viable place to land (read: river streamers are notable crash magnets. Don't fire at something more than one or two squares from shallow water or land.).
Ask not!
Ask!

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 11, 2014, 04:08:54 pm »

It's complete enough to finish what it is, yes. There's not (or wasn't -- not sure how many choose has gotten to, yet) so much a lot of crash bugs so much as one or two that are really easy to trigger. Big two I remember is stuff being summoned around chasms (which isn't guaranteed to cause a crash, but likely) and ammunition landing too far from a viable place to land (read: river streamers are notable crash magnets. Don't fire at something more than one or two squares from shallow water or land.).
Google breakpad or whatever it is called, is integrated.  It might dump a minidump file when the game crashes, which should allow debugging of whatever caused the crash.  But a save game at the point where it can be reproduced with a series of attempts would be most cromulent.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 11, 2014, 05:10:51 pm »

question : as i noticed leveling up is not automatic (surprised me the first time) but you must do it yourself from the character sheet ( d key then g to gain a level) , is there an actual reason to not level up when you've got the experience ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 11, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »

Two, actually, if my memory's not failing me. The big and definite one is Asherath, who rewards favor when you kill stuff that's higher CL than your level. Bigger difference, bigger reward. The lesser one, and one I'm less sure of, is the fact that, if I'm not misremembering, you gain more XP when you fight greater challenges (challenges being determined by difference between level and enemy CL.). If you hold off leveling for a bit, you can actually get more XP, overall.

But it's mostly Ash. Double checking the manual, at least Khasrach also has a CL component to sacrifices -- she only accepts (or, at least, is only supposed to.) kills that are equal or greater power than you. You can also tick Aiswin off if you level up before killing something that badly wounded you. So there's a few god-related reasons not to, basically, and one pragmatic one.

Google breakpad or whatever it is called, is integrated.  It might dump a minidump file when the game crashes, which should allow debugging of whatever caused the crash.  But a save game at the point where it can be reproduced with a series of attempts would be most cromulent.
Sure, sure. If no one beats me to it, I should be able to produce save files and reproduction steps sometime later tonight or tomorrow. Either one of them is very easy to reproduce in wizard mode.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:41:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62