Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 123336 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>
I've also been thinking about a dedicated blindfighter.  You know those nightelf dudes from Warcraft 3 with the blindfold and two blades?  Yeah, I'm thinkin' that.

Useless as heck, but think of the style.</STRONG>

Please note: One person, Illidan.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

Well, Righteous Serpent finally bought it, having acheived level 6.  She was finally offed by a sneak attack by a disir in a summoning circle- should have gone a different way.  Edited highlights include recruiting an aranea priest which kicked ass for a while; talking two separate groups of gnomes out of killing her; dying of grave rot and being brought back by Mara to recover her items later on; pissing Mara off and getting back into her good graces by repeated altar-runs to sacrifice found corpses and attempts, successful or otherwise, to resolve fights peacably.  Also notable- I had not previously known that, having forced enemies to flee, you could offer terms of surrender to them rather than just killing them or ignoring them until they recover enough to attack again.  Also, a couple of times Mara spawned a revenant next to me saying that they would travel with me to atone for their sins.  Judging by the big red error message that popped up whenever this happened, I don't think they were meant to be hostile and immediately attack me.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

iF YOU'RE A SERVANT OF tHE mULTITUDE, never, AND i mean NEVER offer someone terms of surrender, this Pisses the Multitude off so much, that they send demon after you constantly in order to kill you, starting off with 3-4 Manes and working the way up to Major Demons.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

Illidan was just one guy, you could recruit similar (although not quite as cool) heroes in regular play.  It's just that Illidan was the only one who got himself turned into a demon and then lost pathetically to some pasty-looking guy who just happened to have a really big sword.  Way to go, Illidan.

Anyways, yes, offering terms is a good act, and will piss off the evil ones mightily (Zurvash is also rather t'ed off at such displays of non-bloodshed), but it can really help out with being the good guy.  And the "tie up" command, which I have attempted again and again, doesn't seem to do anything to creatures.  I need to get someone to fall asleep, and try it then...  Of course, getting them to do that is almost as hard as getting a live sacrifice without tying them up.

Yeah, I ran into a disir zombie at some point.  He was the one I was talking about where I dimension door-ed my way right into his loving embrace.  He wasn't affected by my enchanted and blessed sword, so I skedaddled.  Second time I saw him, I just startedblasting him with wands until he finally succumed to my fiendish boar.  Fiendish boar.  Is that like a devilpig?

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

Righteous did a lot of jumping around, but very little of it with potions- she started with a cloak of shadow shifting, which amounts to 7 free dimension doors per day.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

The alienist, Rathmere Tauth (never got around to changing it), could freely cast the phase spell, provided he had enough mana (pathetically low cost).  Not only that, but due to his extensive knowledge of the other planes, he was able to direct where he landed.

It may not be an easy method of exploration anymore, but it can certainly be handy.

EDIT:  Okay, the drow priestess was an utter wimp.  I've never used all my potions of dimension door without leveling up a single time before.  Also, the message that comes when the multitude spawns a few demons to help you doesn't recognize gender, so they wree still saying 'help him'.

The halfling bard is looking similarly weak, and orcish barbarians are keeping up their reputation as pansies.  This one, however, is still alive at the moment.  I think he's level three, which is the highest I've ever gotten on one before...  

The male multitude cultist got splattered, the drow illusionist (I'm focusing on getting to shadow-manipulating magic.  Anyone here played "the Darkness"?) got a few potions stolen from the starting area by an orderly ant-man (not a formian, something else) who was friendly and thus couldn't be attacked (I wouldn't risk it anyways, this guy is really pathetic), and I think I'll be dropping the druid I was tailoring for Xel-worship because Xel is such a bugger when it comes to sacrifices.  Summoned creatures don't count as sacrifices, do they?  

The lawful neutral human necromancer (destined for Mara) got obliterated by something uncommonly wimpy.

That leaves me with the kobold druid who I'm losing some interest in (the game just doesn't stay "innocent" enough for kobolds...), the kobold rogue who will probably suffer the same fate (if he doesn't suffer death before that), an evil orcish necromancer who only gets passing wafts of my attention, a dwarven priest I had intended to groom for earthsinger status, but then realized he'd never be able to amount to much in that class (levelcap of 11), a lizardfolk priestess of Essiah that I made to seduce lizardmen and wild reptiles into joining her (...), and few ideas for new and interesting characters.  I keep looking back at that safe backup of when Zook was level five...  

I'm looking for creative and tasty new characters to catch my interest.  Zook got a very special place in my heart not only because he was my most succesful character to date, but because he was very interesting to play.  I want someone that can give a good show and still be effective enough for a rookie like myself to keep alive (seems the only thing I'm really good at is scumming.  Go figure).

I'm thinking of trying a paladin, but the idea of mounted combat is distasteful to me (particularly underground).  I'm a Viking at heart, and thus I prefer to fight with my feet on the ground (unless I'm flying, of course).

Other than that, I have ideas for a sylvan druid (elf), an elven bowmaster (never played a "normal" elf before, just the drow), something appropriate for worshiping a god (and gaining their blessings) that doesn't die when an adlet so much as looks at it, or a caveman-esque character (rocks?  Check.  Brutish strength?  Check.  Boulder when he gets stronger?  Yeah baby).  I might just have to break out the subraces and go for a real cave orc.

Any suggestions?  I would really like that kobold character, but I'm afraid that I'm just going to lose interest them if they stay alive long enough...  The game world just isn't made for kobolds in its current state.  

While we're on the subject, mining drastically needs that damned restriction taken off.  It's utterly useless as it stands now.

Oh, by the way, the orcish necromancer ate an elven cat and became more dextrous.  That was my first succesful boost garnered from the devouring ability.

EDIT2:  The orcish barbarian just bit it to the tune of a skeletal boa constrictor.  Whee.

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Summoned creatures don't count as sacrifices, do they?</STRONG>

They do, actually. Very useful, especially with Protection from Evil.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

Well, that changes things.  Just summon and kill off a bunch of minor critters and please almighty Xel with the offerings of insubstantiality.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2008, 03:33:00 am »

What do you mean about not innocent enough for kobolds?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2008, 05:34:00 am »

Well, you know how it is...  Playing a kobold, you need a special kind of environment.  Verdant fungal forests, swampy moss farms, semi-inhabited dining rooms that can be snuck into from the nearby kobold warrens and vermin burrows, allowing you to explore freely and fight off/annoy/play tricks on gnomes and halflings.

The lower levels don't offer that...  You need something heroic, something that doesn't mind wielding +4 swords and casting powerful spells to ward off the vastly powerful undead creatures.

If there was an overland area, then you might have the range available to adventure on your own terms.  But here, the levels tend to exhaust themselves, as the game is designed to push you farther down into the earth...

In other news, I started a halfling paladin, and he's doing quite well.  I imagine him looking a bit like the halfling pony riders fromAge of Wonders, as he rides around and stabs stuff with his halfspear and shield (had to take the longspear+shield feat).  I also resurrected the older backup of Zook.  I just couldn't resist that charming gnomish adventurer...  He's doing quite well now, and has even convinced a wandering band of three gnomish bandits to join in his cause.

EDIT: Okay, trying out a couple new things.  One is an orcish evoker (WIS bonus x2 added to pure-damage arcane spells) who's doing alright for the moment, and another one that I haven't attempted yet.  I'm going to go for a barbarian lizardman who fights with his natural weapons only.  After he's got enough defensive traits under his belt, I'm going to see if I can remove his armor dependency.  On top of all that, I'll make sure to get him worshiping Zurvash (quite the barbaric god, wouldn't you say?).

I hope I can get a barbarian's unarmed combat high enough to deal with the monsters down here...  Monks are normally considered the unarmed types, so it should be interesting to see how this guy fares.

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2008, 08:01:00 am »

I've had a lot of fun worshiping maeve and kysul (although angering kysul seems to be a little buggy at the moment).

Orcish monks and dwarven barbarians are also fun, although I think my next character is going to to be a small barbarian.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

I have a hard time worshiping Kysul with someone who isn't specifically an alienist...  The two go together hand-in-hand, and it feels empty to just have the one.

Semirath, I would like to add, is not a god you want to anger.  First of all, he seems to be a bit buggy, and his intervention has caused a few crashes.  Second, when he does get his vengeance right, I end up with my main weapon cursed, rancid milk and animal entrails dumped over my head, and all my items scattered throughout the dungeon.  He seems somewhat suited for halflings however, except for his intent on riskataking (he hates it when you use a hearthstone to sleep safely).

EDIT:  As an aside, the spiked chain is an awesome weapon.  Reach, good damage, great parry, entangling, better critical, and grapple.

Plus it's just got that undeniably badass quality.

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
EDIT:  As an aside, the spiked chain is an awesome weapon.  Reach, good damage, great parry, entangling, better critical, and grapple.

Plus it's just got that undeniably badass quality.</STRONG>

There have been DnD tricks with the spiked chain, getting some incredible power out of it:  http://www.nuklearpower.com/redmage45.php

I wonder if they can be used in incursion.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

Looking at the writeup, it looks like it can be accomplished.  You can't rely on having a friendly buff spellcaster, of course, but the rest looks about right.  I didn't even consider tripping up enemies, I figured the innate entangling was good enough for my purposes.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

I may have to try that at some point.  Maybe a kobold warrior or something.  Not to try and break it, that is... I just like the badass factor, and the fact that it's an effective weapon is an extra bonus.

Edit:  Okay, Kitz the chain-focused kobold warrior is underway.  Like I said, this isn't supposed to be an exploitative character, but I've already found an interesting bug[?]- I applied oil of transformation to my starting dagger and it turned into 16 javelins; I then applied it again, and now I have 15 daggers.

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62