Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125576 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2013, 04:46:55 pm »

The baseline panic button for that is a means of teleportation, really, or play gnome. With Mara in particular, you might consider doing some lay worship (or just plain cross worship, I think. Might be misremembering, but I'm fairly sure you could do that.) of her sister (Essiah -- neither goddess has problems with you sacrificing to the other.), which would eventually net you freedom (i.e. immunity to stuck/entangle). Another one might be doing a light armor pallie (Which is fine -- good penalty-less shield, light armor, and maybe a bartered /barkskin/ or somethin' and you'll still be pretty tanky.) and maybe going human to pick up escape artist (and either lockpicking or use magic, probably. Maybe balance for eventual ride casting.).

Going strong reflex (high cha, reflex feats, maybe halfling for the luck-to-saves thing. Halflings have killer sacred mounts, by th'way. Not as good as kobolds, but good.) can keep you from getting entangled/stuck in the first place.

Insofar as going strength, I think it defaults to your higher of strength bonus or escape artist skill, but even with a pretty high strength bonus it's going to be hard to rely on strength to bust out of stuff. You'd need actual EA investment for it to be very reliable. Personally, I tend to just dimdoor out if I don't have something more efficient to use. Light armor pally might pick up a level of wizard mage for /phase door/ or somethin'. Push comes to shove, try praying. That might net you a teleport out or a status clear.  That's all I can recall at th'mo.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:58:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16:37 pm »

First off: Getting out of being Tangled/Stuck.

That would be a proud nail of D&D.

Let’s compare and contrast. On the one hand, you’ve got the lowly 50 gp tanglefoot bag. What do you get for your 50 gold coins? If you hit with a ranged touch attack (read: totally easy), your foe takes –2 penalty on attacks, –4 on Dex (and thus –2 on AC, –2 on Reflex saves, and another –2 on ranged attacks), and gets its movement speed cut in half. But wait, there’s more. Then your foe has to make a save (Reflex DC 15). A foe that fails can’t move at all. It lasts 2d4 rounds; you can get rid of the “glued to the floor” effect early, but not the penalties.

On the other hand, say you hit your foe with an enervation spell. If you hit with a ranged touch attack (sound familiar?), your foe will suffer an average attack penalty of –2.5, plus the same penalty on saving throws and skill checks. If they’re a spellcaster, they’ll lose some spells. And unlike tanglefoot bags, multiple enervations stack. But your foe doesn’t take an AC hit and can move around just fine, so I think it’s an open question whether it’s worse to get hit with an enervation or a tanglefoot bag.

And at the point where we’re comparing a 4th-level spell to tanglefoot bag, I’m seeing a proud nail. I don’t want my players to agonize over which is better: the power of blackest necromancy or a bag full of glue?
Source

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2013, 05:28:37 pm »

Heh. Iirc, a third level druid or ranger (Note: it's not uncommon to hit level three before stepping off the first dungeon level.) renders tanglefoot bags completely worthless in Inc, since the effect is tied to a terrain modification that woodland stride completely ignores. There's shoes that do the same thing. S'kinda amusing. Flying mounts ('Sup Night Hunter) does it too, as does freedom or just plain immunity to being entangled/stuck.

Enveration's notably harder to become immune to, yeah. Tanglefoot is a pain in the arse for heavy armor (or at least high penalty armor) characters in the early game, but it doesn't take too long to find the tools to ignore 'em, usually. And a first level ranger or druid just hops on a night hunter and goes "whatever". Gnomes don't even have to do that :P

E: Point being that tanglefoot's per'aps a bit toned back in Inc compared to canon D&D. All it does is cause you to be stuck if you fail a reflex save while on the square the threads are in -- there's no ranged touch attack, nor lingering debuff. Stuck itself is pretty nasty (you've got to break out before you can move or attack, iirc, though you can still cast/blast wands/drink potions/etc. with a penalty to the first.), but it's mostly an early game threat and not a very big one. E2: Not a very big one unless you've got a heavy armor penalty. Then it can be pretty darn deadly, 'cause you can't break out of it except on a very high roll. Now, if you're stuck and prone, some nasty shit can start happening. Folks with a high enough find weakness can coup things in that situation (go-go spiked chain with knock prone feat).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:51:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2013, 07:51:54 pm »

I got my first play of Incursion and i'm really amazed by how it is playing, all those situations description really gives it a "paper" RPG feel that is very refreshing in the RL world.

The only cons i experienced is that i'm the unfortunate owner of an azerty keyboard, and Incursion works very badly with it despite the accomodations that are mentionned on the changelog (some keys, like the M, are not recognized at all by Incursion whatever you do in the Incursion.cfg unfortunately).

Too bad it seems to be abandonned (last release being from 4 years ago) , i hope the dev new project will see completion one day as there's no more news on his website since nearly a year, if it is even better than Incursion it should really be something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 05, 2013, 07:58:23 pm »

Check the google group (login may be required, dunno) if you want some more recent news -- Mensch goes by Journeyman there and does pop in every once in a while, or answer the occasional status update request. Short form is that rejiggering a more functional engine continues apace and Mensch thinks he might have something public somewhere between now and 2015, iirc. Game's been in dev in some form or another since '99 and there's been year+ gaps between releases before, so... I remain hopeful.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:03:56 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2013, 08:41:34 pm »

Thanks for the link, i hope some more news will emerge from the dev about this, it's too good to disappear.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 06, 2013, 03:05:18 am »

Dammit, I saw this thread active again and my heart leaped, thinking there had been a new release... Well, one day, one day.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2013, 06:22:30 am »

And until that day... keep playing. Occasionally, anyway :P

Today I actually got around to counting the total stat bonus humans have over the other races (maybe not for the first time, I'unno, but whatever!). Compared to the next lowest, halflings... fifteen (15). Humans have a total possible stat bonus of twenty-one, or +3 to all stats. Inherent potential is bloody incredible.

The gimmick, of course, is that it's a delayed bonus. Everyone else gets their stat boosts upfront. Humans have to work for it. But when they do... goddamn. They come in second for highest potential individual stat bonus for only three stats (Strength, dex, and luck) and highest (at +3) for everything else. Crazy little jumped-up monkey bastards. S'beautiful *wipes tear from eye*

... but yeah, latest critter's finally hit the rolling fog bank point. Warrior 1/ranger 4/druid 2, in that order and taking druid for the rest of the game. Simple concept, I wanted a mounted spiked chain bugger, and ranger class usefulness dies off around the 4-6 range compared to druid levels (and either instead of warrior to keep the mount from splatting instantly deeper in. Warrior was just for the spiked chain proficiency.). Once I hit level two and got that night hunter, things started going swimmingly.

Ask not!
Ask!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2013, 02:57:50 pm »

Druid Orcs are always the best. Nomnomnom your way through the whole dungeon.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2013, 03:25:38 pm »

Huh, hadn't heard of this one. I'll have to try it out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 06, 2013, 04:19:07 pm »

Druid Orcs are always the best. Nomnomnom your way through the whole dungeon.
Theorycrafting, ahahaha!

Orcs make awesome druids, and pacmanning your way through the dungeon is pretty great. Beyond devour, which the wilderness lore class skill lets you leverage more than most classes, orcs have excellent stats for druid and starting with proficiency in some better reach weapons is pretty good for a summoning heavy druid. Plus getting more dakka out of a high wisdom is always nice~

But! Since the ride change, they're roughly my third favorite druid race from a gameplay perspective. Generally, I split my druid play attempts into two categories -- casting (which may or may not be melee heavy; it's relatively irrelevant since everyone wants to be mounted :P) and wild shaping.

For the former, lizardfolk my the top pick. They've also got solid enough stats for a druid, plus they have an innate natural attack (which synergizes pretty well with druid buff spells) and a host of nice utility abilities. Most important t'me, though, is that they come with balance as a racial skill -- every druid that's not wildshaping (and some that are) wants balance something fierce. Getting balance t'twenty means no more penalty on casting while mounted, and riding is an incredibly powerful thing that negating that penalty only makes stronger for a casting heavy druid.

Humans come in second for a casting druid, mostly for not having to burn a feat to get balance (plus every class that doesn't start with it loves lockpicking.). It really is pretty tremendous once you hit that breakpoint. Stat wise, they're ahead of orcs (Ultimately a point more of wisdom, a point less of strength, and then the advantage [by 3-5 points] for everything else), but lack the delightful devouring and wisdom-to-damage thing.

For wildshape spec'd druids, dwarves win out pretty much hands down simply due to utility. Starting with regenerating fatigue means wildshapes all day erry day, and the only way pretty much anything can match that is either being perked one of the fatigue regen items or multiclassing a passion domain cleric (Zurvash, maybe Essiah. Druids have a few religion mismatches, and I forget if Essiah's a druid capable religion. Probably Zurvash though, the pain domain is incredible.) for a few levels. Less of an advantage later in the game when you've probably managed to stumble across fatigue regen from some other source, but until then freely usable wild shape is just tremendously useful.

Second for a wildshape druid is, well. Probably human again. Wildshaping's a bit feat heavy, especially if you want to pick up more than one of the category expanding feats (not that you really need to -- plant or mythic hybrid is generally enough to dominate. Shambling mound wildshape is a freaking monster and the hybrids bring a lot of utility to the table) and still have room to pick up related goodies.

... but yeah, mechanics aside, pacmanning your way through the dungeon is just bloody incredible and I love it when disease immunity shows up on a decent stat spread. Orcs are great~

... all the races are pretty great, really. Even gnomes.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 09, 2013, 08:18:39 am »

I made a post earlier in this thread regarding orcish druids, and some of the class/race synergies.  Like being able to shillelagh your starting shotputs for hilarious damage, devouring of course, the starting boost to wisdom, and the fact that your can stack your innate strength to hysterical levels.

Innate bonus +4, bull strength +1d4, that "strength of the whatsit" boost which is however much that is, rending claws +4...  I think there are a couple other things you can do, shaping not included.  This means you can get ridiculous strength plus an extra attack while still maintaining full humanoid form, and thus all item benefits and spellcasting without penalties.

It also lets you cast magic fang and such on yourself and actually get a bonus out of it, while simultaneously sharing it with your companion.  Oh, right, that's another thing...  You can cheese +5 dexterity for yourself right out the gate with an orcish druid, because you can summon elven cats as companions.  And animal companions, unlike normal summons, leave devourable corpses behind.

kuniqs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:23 am »

Here's my nightmare beating incursion build:

Race: Human
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Stats:
 Strength >12
 Constitution: Dump stat IIRC One body one soul uses wisdom instead of con for skills, >6 to avoid cursing instadeath
 Dexterity >12
 Intelligence: 18
 Wisdom: 18
 Charisma: Dump stat as chaotic evil guys have no use for diplomacy, >6
 Luck: > 9 preferably, high levels generate lots of chests and open few interesting options
Class progression: Druid2levels,Mage2(Weaver), Rogue(rest) OR Warrion(rest) OR Priest(Zurvash) OR Assasin
Feats progression: Iron Will, Great Fortidude, One Body One Soul, Empower Spell, Whatever

Why 2 levels of druid at the start?
-Nature sense + obscurement
-Animal companion makes most killing for you, later serves as mount
-Barkskin is broken - gives much more armour than advertises
Spells - Barkskin, Longstrider, Speed of the wind, Beastclaw

Why mage?
-Controlled blinks for 1mp
-Mage armour, Infravision, Detect monsters, Haste through scribe scroll

With the rogue, we can roleplay a predator with nice sneak attack bonuses to compensate for a rather lackluster beastclaw damage, hide and seek tactics are almost mandatory for this game. Plus, we reinforce the weak reflex saving throw and get all the useful skills. Sneaky, Necrophysiology and combat reflexes are good feats.
For Assasin: pick Illusionist as mage spec and Hide in shadows+Poison use for human bonus skills.
Warrior build focuses on using mounts and great lances to spirit charge everything as IIRC adamantium is safe for druids. Go with anything mount related. Mounted charges have ridiculous damage output.
Priest gets undead turning, Pain Passion and Whatever domains. It's more useful to progress in other classes if you don't need stronger undead turning. Also requires good charisma which is rather useless otherwise.

If you don't pick priest, go polytheism with zurvash (4th level is all you need) and either khasrah (a bit annoying and tough to advance, fear is negligible since you have crazy will bonus for being chaotic) or xel (few bonus spells for nothing).

Cast Barkskin and mage armour with empower spell on. That way you get ~30 armour which can't be bypassed.
Biggest weakness are skill advancement problem integrated into multiclassing (that's why intelligence has to be so high) and rather weak hp (zurvash's toughness fixes that a bit).
This build would work with a dwarf well if you can tolerate their slow moving speed and exp penalty for multiclassing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 18, 2013, 09:17:07 am »

Dammit, I saw this thread active again and my heart leaped, thinking there had been a new release... Well, one day, one day.
^^^^^^
All my This.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 21, 2013, 02:46:49 am »

Hmm, anyone know if I can redeem myself as a Fallen Paladin? Apparently attacking monsters that spawn hostile to you isn't always a good act.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62