Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125572 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #555 on: May 26, 2012, 07:34:34 am »

Ahahaha, if you want something that does insane crits, go a max luck halfling warrior specializing in slings. By the end game, your minimum crit will be in the single digits. Even better if you get perked weapon mastery eligibility. The big thing that warriors have in the crit department is high and grand mastery (though the latter you're only getting through a lucky perk.), which stacks with improved crit.

Hitting for >100 damage with a sling on around 2/3rds of your attacks is just... just hilarious.

Halfling sling ranger is still fairly sexy, though. Ranger is almost certainly the easiest class in the game (Nighthunter mount solves a ridiculous amount of problems, ha.), and ranged + silly mount speed + eventual (or early, if you dip into druid -- iirc, somewhere around level five or six, a ranger's better off in most ways multi-ing into druid and sticking the rest of their levels into it. You can get haste~) obscurement just makes things silly.

But yeah, maybe not trip, I'unno. Can't remember if that was an auto thing or not. Definitely helps with knock prone, though, and knock prone + entangle constantly on basically whatever you're attacking just wrecks the hell out of things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 26, 2012, 09:28:31 am »

Heh, well, again, I effectively can't use ranged characters due to my 'f' key being completely on the fritz.  Which is not to say that there's actually physically wrong with the key itself, it's just that my computer ate some bad mushrooms and developed unusual political and religious ideals that prevent it from uttering the letter "f" except in a long, continuous stream every morning when I boot it up, which somehow also prevents the touchpad from working.  And rightshift + R is anathema, as is leftshift + V.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 26, 2012, 09:30:28 am »

Might be able to get some limited functionality out of changing the shift-direction option. Can set it so it fires instead of runs, which is something.

Dunno if there's a 'y'use command for fire or not. Hrm.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:43 am »

There is, just as there is for throwing.  However, this entails first selecting the ammunition you want to fire (from your entire inventory), and then the launcher you wish to fire it from (again from our entire inventory), making the process a bit too clumsy to really be all that fun to use.  But, in an emergency...  Well, in an emergency I'll just drink another Hot Cup of GTFO (better known as potion of dimension door).  So yeah.

Now I'm stuck looking for other weapons with fancy effects to abuse.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 26, 2012, 10:26:25 am »

There is list, for easy perusal.

Giant lance is one I always mean to get around to using somehow, but never actually manage it.

Occasionally did a dual great maul run, too. Those tend to end shortly due to hilariously massive fatigue issues :P

Still. Concept is great. Like petrifying pair of halflings and tying them to separate sticks, then beating things with them. Beautiful image. Only dwarf or passion priest can really manage it, though. Three levels of passion/pain/strength Zurvash priest then multiclassing into warrior is always an option.

Incidentally, that amount of priest levels then going all-in with barbarian is absolutely ridiculous. One of those runs is where I get the story about beating a crab demon to death with bare hands while hanging from the ceiling. Is massive power trip once gets running, huhuhu.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:29:22 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 26, 2012, 12:35:47 pm »

Ah, but that fails to present the exact saving throws and whatnot of each...   Veeery important that.

As an aside, mauls are one size smaller than the big daddies and as such can be monkey-dualed for more stomping power.  However, they don't exactly encourage a great amount of dexterity, which is nice for getting all those attacks of opportunity in.

Aaaand as I was just about to roll a kobold whipwarrior, Incursion decided to completely wonk out and is now unplayable for some bizarre reason.  The program receives input and does stuff, but it won't refresh the window unless you click on something else.  Yay.  Time for another reboot, looks like...

Hmm...  Possibilities...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 26, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »

Oh. Save DC on weapons is a function of your stats and a few other things. Mastery is involved, which is one of the reasons stuff like spiked chains (and anything if you have knock prone) are particularly good with warriors.

I couldn't tell you exactly what the formula is, though. Just know that strength effects some things, dex effects others, and mastery increases DCs for your specialized weapon. Weapon weight may or may not be involved for some effects, I'unno, but the primary decider is your stats, not the weapon.

And yeah, plain mauls are much more functional. I don't think I've bothered to get a warrior to the endgame doing that, but I've got pretty far a number of times. Much less fatigue issues. It's part of the challenge of going dual great maul :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 26, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

I meant the base DC weapons have for special attacks like that...  for instance, mauls and great mauls both have a DC 20 stunning attack, whereas the sling has 11 and the whip has something like 10 or whatnot.  Can't really remember.

Ah yes of course, naturally...  Say, wait a minute...  What happens if you wield a reach weapon in one hand and a short/grappling weapon in the other?  Is that even possible?  Haha, may be a bit wonky since you're splitting focuses (if you even bother), but sounds kinda fun.  Just to be different.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 26, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »

Can't, unfortunately. Game just doesn't let you. Probably be different at some point in newversion's future, but current!Inc can't handle it.

But yeah, like I said, weight factors in to the strength based DCs... somehow.
Ask not!
Ask!

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 27, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »

I remember that the first character I won this game with was a dwarven warrior with maximum possible level of mastery in dwarven waraxe. Coupled with dwarven perk "dwarven weaponcrafting" - main axe, shield and heavy armor got stupid amount of enchantments on top of +5. "brilliant energy", "of seeking",... basically a self-guided lightsaber.

An armored dwarf with Resilience perk can shrug off  lots of small damage and keep going without ever stopping to sleep.

Don't underestimate a good shield as an alternative to more damage. And at all times carry an enchanted dagger on a belt slot. That one is more important than an emergency wand and only slightly less than DD potions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 27, 2012, 08:07:03 pm »

Huh, why the dagger? Grapple-fight capable? If you're going for a backup throwing weapon, I generally suggest chakrams or boomerangs for that, m'self -- more damage and a chance to come back t'yeh.

And yeah, Resilience is pretty incredible, just quite difficult to meet the reqs for and expensive. If you want an easier and feat cheaper method of regular HP restoration, drop a level into priest -- preferably a Zurvash priest with the pain domain. You gain damage/10 hp from everything you hit... and it stacks with vampiric weapons. It is delicious, and Zurvash is incredibly easy to deal with for most melee builds. Two more levels into that zurvash priest can grab fatigue regeneration via the passion domain, too. Of course, grabbing resilience on top of that... heeheehee.

But yeah... sword/board melee fighter is incredibly viable, you end up ridiculously hard to kill. The right shield (Mithril/elven) and you can even have drastically reduced or nonexistent armor penalties from it, knocking off the shield's biggest disadvantage.

Protip, by the way -- if a piece of armor has no armor penalties, it does not cause spellcasting penalties, period. If you can get half-plate to 0 (Which, iirc, is possible with the right enchants/material), a mage can wear it without even caring. In regard to shields, it means that a buckler is actually the go-to mainhand weapon for most casters; you're not going to be meleeing much, if at all, and the defense boost from a good shield, even a buckler, is considerable. Just make sure it's ironwood if you're a druid. Smaller races need it to be mithril or elven to pull off, but the medium ones can generally wear any of 'em (Except orcish, iirc.).

Incidentally, enchanted shields can, in fact, hit ethereal and similar enemies. I've bashed a few things to death with m'shield when I didn't have a weapon that could hit it :P Bloody slow shadows.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:12:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 28, 2012, 01:59:55 am »

as i think was said earlier in this thread...orc with disease immunity...level 4, currently has 3 fire, 4 cold, 2 sonic, 1 acid, 2 lightning, 4 poison and 2 psychic natural armor ontop of a handful of random stats gained from eating stuff...added onto being a druid riding around on a night hunter...i guess this flat out breaks any challenge...i'll see how far i can go...because its always the promising looking adventurers that die to silly reasons...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 28, 2012, 02:24:01 am »

Earth meld can break the challenge, but if you refrain from that things can still jump you occasionally.

Though standard diff isn't that bad, really. Neither is challenge, t'be honest, but it gets interesting in the below dlvl ten stage. Now, nightmare? Nightmare's a bit rough.
Ask not!
Ask!

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 29, 2012, 12:40:50 pm »

Thanks for your help, I have not played in a while. 

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 05, 2013, 04:31:02 pm »

Ehhh, a bit of necromancy, but my present character is a mara worshiper, so she gets a pass. :P

Seriously though, have recently rediscovered the game and I have been having a few issues. First off: Getting out of being Tangled/Stuck. It defaults to escape artist, and I'm pretty sure I could choose to use strength for it as well, which, considering I'm paladin in full plate, would make a lot of sense. Any tips on it?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 62