Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125563 times)

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #510 on: September 09, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »

Oh, well I guess doing 75 damage at level one might be the reason it's taking so much damage. Good thing I can repair it. Would I be wrong in think the shortspear is one of the best charging weapons?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 09, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »

It's a charging weapon... definitely not the best, though. The best, mechanically, is the great lance (which is an exotic weapon), and in more general use the charge weapons that have reach (longspear, glaive, etc) are probably more useful, if only to prevent AoOs on approach. Check here for the weapon table -- anything with a C to the right gets doubled damage on a charge.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 09, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »

I was thinking that it did pretty good charge damage, but still could be used up close without having to switch weapons.

I remember reading something about gaining bonuses or information from talking to mobs,, but haven't noticed this myself. Is it a diplomacy thing?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:29:38 pm by Lmaoboat »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 09, 2011, 09:32:39 pm »

Ah. For that, a halberd or light lance would probably be the better idea. The halberd hits harder against everything, and the lance hits harder against stuff-large-or-bigger, as well as having a 1/3 chance to knock something prone. The lance is also medium size, instead of large, so it can be worn more easily (i.e. without feat expenditure for medium-sized races) with a shield. Short spear is a bit faster, though. Trident would be better for that, though, unless you're going for a crit-heavy build. Shortspear's definitely in the top two/three of non-reach charge weapons, though, depending on what you're after.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 09, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »

Looks like I should go for the Trident. According to the chart, it has all the same stats as the short spear, but it's slightly faster. The halberd is the only non-reach that does 1d10, but it's 40% slower than the trident.

Scratch that, the lower crit probably isn't worth it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:14:58 pm by Lmaoboat »

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 09, 2011, 10:51:26 pm »

Looks like the single level of animal companion is starting to take it's toll. Would it be a good idea to go for the animal bond feat next and maybe multiclass to druid with 6 levels in warrior? I'm a dwarf, so I think there might be a penalty.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 09, 2011, 11:03:26 pm »

The only penalty to multiclass is if your highest level class isn't a favored one for your race, in which case you get a 20% XP penalty. If you're a 6th level warrior, the highest druid level you can get is 5, so you're good.

The biggest issue you'd have multi-ing into druid is that they get a (hefty) casting penalty when wearing metal items. There's a further casting penalty (extra time, particularly) if you cast while riding without a balance score of >= 20. If you're just after the boost to your companion, go ranger, who gets the same animal companion progression without the casting penalty. Better melee BAB progress, too.

That said, if you've got ironwood equipment already, go for it. Druid spellcasting is pretty solid.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 09, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »

Yeah, I thought about the spell-casting penalty after I posted. Of course if I went ranger, it would be several levels before I even got basic spells anyway, though I would have a better melee attack bonus. Does Nature Sense let me see through fog and trees? If so I might just try and find any decent ironwood items and use an oil of transformation.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 09, 2011, 11:53:31 pm »

Yes. Yes, nature sense lets you see through fog and trees. It's one of the reasons that rangers really want to take a couple levels of druid (probably as their fourth and fifth levels, at least), in order to get nature sense and obscuration. Moving fog bank, yo'. While all rangers like this, ranged rangers find this absolutely hilarious, especially if they're riding a flying mount (makes stuff like tremorsense not detect 'em, among other things).

"This fog bank bristles with bolts of iron."
Ask not!
Ask!

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 10, 2011, 12:35:58 am »

Welp my guy died, so I rolled a human druid and got well balanced stats and Animal Companion as a starting perk on the first roll. Stupidly put a point in weapon focus forgetting that not ever class gets an enchanted weapon though.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 10, 2011, 05:54:02 pm »

Interesting, I multiclassed into druid as a warrior, and I don't have any penalty for wearing metal.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:01 am »

The site in the OP seems to be down. Can someone provide me with a download link?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 11, 2011, 10:39:23 am »

Here should be a link.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 11, 2011, 11:12:40 am »

Thanks a lot!
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2011, 03:15:54 pm »

Any suggestions on the best way to play a paladin?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62