Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125548 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #480 on: September 06, 2011, 04:39:52 pm »

Potion of Restore Attribute, and I think a few spells. I'm unsure if Potions of Restoration will work though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »

Sleeping will restore one point of stat damage to all damaged stats. You can also heal stat damage via healing ('u'se menu), if you have a healing kit, though you only get one try per day per affliction.. A potion of restoration would definitely work, though it's less effective on a individual stat than a dedicated restore <stat> potion. Restoration heals all stats, just to a smaller degree.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2011, 04:50:43 pm »

I notice that on my stat sheet it says that 6 of the stat points I'm missing are from "luck". What does that mean and how do I fix it?
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 06, 2011, 04:54:06 pm »

Ah, that means you've been cursed. You have to drink a remove curse potion and target yourself with it. Could also try the remove curse spell or scroll, but those aren't guaranteed to work.
Ask not!
Ask!

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 06, 2011, 04:55:18 pm »

So even though this game is a long way from being "finished", is it still possible to beat?  Are there any show-stoppers?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 06, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »

You can occasionally hit bugs that might require wizard mode to get around, but it's not an entirely regular thing. The game as-is is very much winnable, heh. I've done it with every race and class (though not every combo) ;D

Incursion as-is is very much a tech-demo type thing -- the actual finished game (Return of the Forsaken) is intended to have a fairly massive overworld and numerous dungeons, cities, etc. The current 10-15 (depending on difficulty) level dungeon is very doable, though.

VVVVV
It's fairly stable and complete, for what it is. There's occasional CTDs and suchlike, but they usually won't stop you for longer than a reload. There aren't any glaringly obvious play styles that I've noticed that just aren't finished. You can literally talk your way through the game, heh, among other things.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:01:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 06, 2011, 04:58:11 pm »

that's what I am curious about myself...when playing are there glaringly obvious sections that are not finished and detract from the gameplay? or is it more of a fairly stable and complete Beta?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 06, 2011, 05:12:56 pm »

There *are* a few sections; some skills like Seneschal and Gather Information are completely useless due to not being implemented, while others are only partially complete and have unimplemented functions like Craft Dragon Armor (Craft), Herbalism (Nature Knowledge), and Mechanical Weapons (Handle Device). Most of the Prestige Classes are only partially complete. Fortunately, they're clearly outlined in the help menu and skill/feat/class descriptions.

Oh, and if you ever find a pair of "Springblade Bracers", don't use them unless you plan to use them for the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:18:40 pm by Blaze »

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 06, 2011, 05:59:31 pm »

I rolled a Lizardman Ranger with Lenses of the Druid and Woodsman, and mostly really good stats, at the expense of having 6 luck. Odd, never seen two great libraries before. Also, it seems my 6 luck didn't stop me from finding some Lenses of Precision for my ranger.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:15:32 pm by Lmaoboat »

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2011, 06:23:27 pm »

Well, that character just died. It wasn't his constitution that doomed him, as much as the fact that I ran out of potions of dimension door, and I just realized I forgot to tumble. :-[

The build I'm using at the moment is:

Drow Rogue

STR   12(11)
DEX   18(20)
CON   14
INT   18(20)
WIS   13
CHA   3(5)
LUC   8

I have appraise, decipher script, handle device, hide in shadows, listen, lockpicking, move silently, searching, tumble, knowledge(magic), and use magic as skills. I get sneaky and light sleeper at level 1, and pick up weapon finesse at level 3. I suppose I'd get two weapon style once I get to level 6, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'm not sold on the usefulness of use magic, every time I've tried to use a wand in combat all of the enemies get a pile of free hits on me.

One problem I have is how long it takes to switch from ranged to melee weapons, if I'm sniping at something with my bow, and it gets within melee range, I can't switch to my melee weapon without them hitting me several times. So I just have to chug a potion of dimension door, and I'm always running out of those things.

It seems like once something has caught me in melee, and I don't have much hope of defeating it, my only option is dimension door.

Does anyone have any advice about that, or about the rest of my build?

Maybe I need to train alchemy to get more of those potions...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:49:00 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2011, 06:33:21 pm »

You can mark weapons uppercase M and O for main hand, off-hand for melee, uppercase R and A for ranged and ammunition, and then press "-" to switch between them. Also, one of my favorite feats for rogues is necrophysiology, which let's you get crits and sneak attacks on undead. You need 10 undead knowledge skill first, though, so I think you need to start with 18 int if you want it at level 3.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:35:48 pm by Lmaoboat »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2011, 06:39:01 pm »

Re: Use magic: Make sure the wand you're trying to use is in a shoulder or belt slot.

If you're using them from inside your pack, it adds extra time to the action, as you're having to remove it from the pack then use it. This applies to everything, by the by, though force backpacks lessen the time malus. If you're really insistent about swapping weapons or using stuff from your pack often, consider the quick draw and faster than the eye feats, and keep whatever weapons you intend to swap out outside of your pack.

Re: Ranged -- if you're going to go heavy ranged, pick up point blank (defensive shot pre-req) and defensive shot (removes attacks of opportunity when you shoot in melee) as your starting feats, then take sneaky as your level three. Otherwise, disengage or flee and back off a bit (anything increasing movement speed can help here) before making more shots. Alternately, just make sure to switch out before you're in melee range, heh.

For your particular build, you could also switch in weapon finesse for either of your starting feats instead, and just ignore range. Skill wise, you seem pretty solid. You could probably dump appraise for something else, but it won't hurt terribly as is -- it's an excellent int trainer, which will help a lot of your skills. Alchemy won't help you get any potions, though. That takes a particular feat, brew potions (which takes magic), and is pretty bloody useless. Alchemy gives access to some interesting utility items, but is pretty ignorable, in my experience.

Your cha is... dangerously low. If you have any stat below 7, you're risking a stat-death via curse, which can give a -6 luck penalty to a stat. There's also some cha damaging diseases, iirc.

Anyway, s'all I got at th'mo. If you really want to run a ranged character, though, definitely try ranger. Pick up animal bond, mounted combat as your first levels, get as high a dex and wis as you can, then mounted archery as your 3rd level feat. Ride nighthunters (which fly, are fast, and hit decently hard) and just stay out of melee range.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 06, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »

Is the master archer prestige class broken? I'm level 5 and have over 10 concentration, but it says I still need a ranged BAB of 5 and 7 concentration.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2011, 06:46:12 pm »

You can mark weapons uppercase M and O for main hand, off-hand for melee, uppercase R and A for ranged and ammunition, and then press "-" to switch between them. Also, one of my favorite feats for rogues is necrophysiology, which let's you get crits and sneak attacks on undead. You need 10 undead knowledge skill first, though, so I think you need to start with 18 int if you want it at level 3.

Yeah, I'm aware of the weapon switching option, but even that takes way too long.

Thanks for the information about that feat, though that's just one more skill for me to learn. :-\

Re: Use magic: Make sure the wand you're trying to use is in a shoulder or belt slot.

If you're using them from inside your pack, it adds extra time to the action, as you're having to remove it from the pack then use it. This applies to everything, by the by, though force backpacks lessen the time malus. If you're really insistent about swapping weapons or using stuff from your pack often, consider the quick draw and faster than the eye feats, and keep whatever weapons you intend to swap out outside of your pack.

Doh, I completely forgot about that. Thanks. Though that doesn't apply to my weapon switching, as I always keep those in my shoulder slots.

For your particular build, you could also switch in weapon finesse for either of your starting feats instead, and just ignore range.

Yeah, I'd take weapon finesse if I could, but for some inscrutable reason, weapon finesse requires a base attack bonus of 1, so rogues can't take it at first level.

Your cha is... dangerously low. If you have any stat below 7, you're risking a stat-death via curse, which can give a -6 luck penalty to a stat. There's also some cha damaging diseases, iirc.

Huh, I'd forgotten about charisma death. I guess I'll just have to even out my charisma and wisdom again and drop light sleeper.

EDIT: I also forgot that I'm taking knowledge(magic), is this really all that useful of a skill? I'd heard that you can use it to research items at a library.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:50:51 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »

Thanks for the information about that feat, though that's just one more skill for me to learn. :-\

You could reroll another rogue, since they very often start with Bracers of Legerdemain which make you switch items around much faster.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 62