Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125530 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #465 on: September 04, 2011, 12:48:04 pm »

I thought I'd try this, since I did once or twice long ago. I'm running into technical difficulties- Firing up Incursion usually results in a black window or it gets stuck telling me my resolution won't suffice.

Is it Windows 7? Something else?
Having the same issue here. Except let me go into more detail.

Currently, the display goes from full screen to windowed at startup, then complains about how the size is not good enough. Hitting space seems to do nothing, but if you move the screen around you notice that the screen only updates when you move it around.

Going full screen turns colors into other colors, blue turns red, black turns into a sickening brown, but the game updates with input. You can set the game to run under XP with 256 colors, but it's an annoying solution, and I was hoping there is a better way of doing it.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 04, 2011, 12:51:32 pm »

Try setting colour depth to 16bit and/or turn aero off.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 04, 2011, 01:04:05 pm »

Try setting colour depth to 16bit and/or turn aero off.
Didn't work.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 06, 2011, 01:20:56 am »

So, what am I supposed to do to avoid instant death from resting? I just lost my most successful character so far when a party of 5+ adventures ran into me. I even used my listen skill first, and it told me that it was safe to rest.

Is it pretty much just a choice between wasting two feats on Alertness+light sleeper, always traveling in groups with watches, or never resting anywhere but the inn?

Also, for some reason I can't auto-rest to let faerie fire wear off. How long does faerie fire from traps last? Because that's been the doom of several of my rogues so far.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:09 am »

There's a few ways to make resting safer, but very few to make it actually safe. Beyond the ways you mentioned, you can cast the alarm spell to (probably) negate the initial coup chance during getting woken up or play as elf, who can't be caught asleep (though elves have... other problems). You can rest inside a rope trick or, if you luck out in generation, use ectoplasmic cocoon. Halflings start off with a number of hearthstones of o-something, which guarantee a safe rest. You can earth meld into a wall and use one of the dirt-to-mud spells to create a one-tile area that you probably won't be able to be attacked in. Finally, every few levels there'll be a room called a sanctuary, a lil'green-ish walled circular room. You can rest safely in sanctuaries for a certain number of times, after which their power gives out. Finally, high fort saves and things that reduce chances to be crit can make it so you're more likely to actually survive getting ganked in your sleep.

Generally, you'll sleep as little as possible and rely on sanctuaries. Before you pass clvl four (i.e. hit five combined class levels), you use the inn. Usually, you'll have enough resources and power by that point to not need an extended rest.

That faerie fire might be persistent debuff. It'll last all bloody day if it is, heh. Generally, if it won't let you auto-rest to clear a debuff, it's a persistent effect. Several of the traps hit you with persistent versions of normally non-persistent spells. They're nasty like that. I forget if FF's a naturally persistent spell, though. Eh. E: Ah, right. It'll go away once you rest, heh.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:44:56 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 06, 2011, 08:38:58 am »

I am impressed with how deep this game is!  Might be the deepest roguelike I have ever seen?

But it's also HARD.  My first character died by getting stuck in an earth-elemental that was moving in and out of the walls.  I didn't even kill one mob.

Looks like fun though.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 06, 2011, 09:50:59 am »

Been enjoying this one and yes, it's effing hard.
I love the fact that much of the core mechanices appear to be lifted from the Rolemaster RPG, which I loved back in the day. But I'm kinda dismayed to see that it hasn't been touched in roughly a year. :-/

Hate to see something this promising wither on the vine.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:15 am »

Do (Air) Genasi's hate (Rainbow) Sprites?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 06, 2011, 10:31:32 am »

Would depend on a lot of things, heh. Mutual alignment, whether they've attacked each other before, if they're generated in the same group, potentially other stuff. Genais and sprites are different sort of critters, though. One outsider, the other fae, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they're murdering each other :P

Anyway, re: Inc being fallow. Maybe, maybe not -- Incursion's been in dev since, gods, the game itself says '99, a few years before DF went public. Over a decade, now, and it's had extensive (year+) dev hiatuses before. Mensch has other obligations that take him away from being able to do major work on Inc for months at a time. This long break is mostly because he's been basically re-writing the game from the bottom up, heh. We're hoping for a progress report, at least, sometime in the latter half of fall, I think.

Definitely will keep folks updated when something happens, yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 06, 2011, 10:44:16 am »

I asked it because I (Drow mage lvl 1 or 2) summoned a Water Genasi, a Giant Dragonfly and two Rainbow Sprites.
They were fighting three kobolds and I was just pressing '.' and reading the combat logs when I saw that sometimes one of the Sprite would shoot the Genasi and the log would say: You feel confused. Might have been another word too, but not guilty.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:59 am »

In that case, it's not that they hate each other, it's that the AI doesn't give a flip if something's in between them and whatever they're shooting at. Fratricide, basically.

If you had fair charisma and/or diplomacy, you were probably getting a message about diffusing anger... something along those lines. Basically talking your summons into not turning on each other. Maybe, anyway. Would need the exact message to be sure, heh. If you have complicity on, though, it might have been a you-feel-guilty message indicating an alignment ping (from attacking an ally/non-hostile, if only by proxy). Non-evil characters that use allies/summons will not stay non-evil if they don't turn off complicity transgressions. It's a known AI thing and one of the reasons for ye' old refactoring.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:53:09 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 06, 2011, 11:38:42 am »

Well, I was lawful evil and I got the same message when I attacked a fleeing Elf. I changed to Chaotic evil after than. Although I died a few seconds later by some slime.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 06, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »

Yeah is this even getting developed anymore?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 06, 2011, 03:59:45 pm »

Quote from: Last Public News Post
I don't have a release date. I've always said, 'at least a year', and honestly that's overly optimistic. If I had to throw a date out right now, I'd say potentially October 31st, 2012 for the finished new game -- i.e., two years from today. But really that's just random speculation. I have no idea what will happen between now and then. To put this in context, the copyright comment at the top of all my C++ source files all says "Incursion, Copyright Julian Mensch 1999-200X" -- so it apparently took me a full seven years (!) to get the original game to a state where I wanted to release it for the first time. In that context, I guess I'm making good progress?

This web page is actually a substantial nuisance to update for me, which is why it happens so infrequently. In fact, I've decided that I probably won't update it unless I have something concrete to show, and will instead post any news and progress on the game's Google Group, located here:

Quote from: Last Google Group Message on ETA
Julian Mensch          View profile   
    More options  May 17, 1:00 pm

Hi, folks,

Incursion is still being developed. I still don't
 have anything to demo. I still don't have a release
 date beyond 'substantially far away, more than a
 year at least'.

My life has been chaotic recently -- I just finished
 a move -- and I've been getting back to coding on the
 game more regularly over the last few weeks. Progress
 is good, but the amount in the still to do pile is
 simply IMMENSE.

Thank you for your continued interest, however.

-- Julian Mensch

Boss Mensch has had long hiatus periods like this, before, so the answer to "is it even getting developed" is "if he's still alive (signs point to yes!), then more likely than not." It's probably still going to be a while before we see anything concrete, though.The October 31st, 2012 date is pretty likely for, at least, some beta stuff of the new engine.

Well, I was lawful evil and I got the same message when I attacked a fleeing Elf. I changed to Chaotic evil after than. Although I died a few seconds later by some slime.

Yeah, you were getting alignment hits. Definitely turn off complicity in the options and read up on alignment in the manual. The only alignments that don't really have to deal with, well, alignment, is neutral and chaotic evil. NE is what you want to play if you don't what to mess with that junk, though. It's perfectly neutral in relation to alignment benefits and penalties (CE has some penalties and bonii) -- the only malus is that holy (Not blessed, mind. Not the same thing.) weapons (which are fairly common, as paladin-template'd enemies have their weapons made holy) do extra damage to you.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:03:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 06, 2011, 04:36:11 pm »

How do I heal constitution damage? I got hit by some stirge poison, or something, and my constitution's down to 3.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 62