Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125511 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2009, 05:00:09 am »

If you make a female lizardman (lizardwoman?) and buff her up with high CHA, allure, and whatever other diplomatic boosts you want to give her, she can lend her lizardly charms to the enlisting of such creatures.

I remember last time I tried a character like that, I managed to seduce a monitor lizard.  That's one diplomatic negotiation I'm not sure I'd like to know about.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2009, 08:27:37 am »

I do wonder if he still remembers this.

It is early 2009...

He does. He posted over on a Something Awful topic related to incursion and spread a bugfixed version of the last release. He's apparently working on it, but got delayed by life a bit. And he doesn't have an internet connection at home*, so he hasn't updated the site. Or so I read, I may have left an important tidbit out.

* Apparently to keep him from getting distracted from internet forums. I think that's why I never get anything done...

Yeah, Incursion is much more lively than any other roguelike I played. I flat out CAN'T play games like Angband now, they just seem so dull. Diplomacy is my favorite skill, or it will be when the associated bugs are mended. My followers love shooting each other and blaming it on me, but getting a team of Arenea is just too cool.

If I recall, in wizard mode, I even recruited a dragon of some sort. Now that's diplomacy...

Yeah, Incursion is the best roguelike already, that is my opinion at least...[DF is not a roguelike in my book of definitions.. :D] So let's hope that the developer will continue his work.  8)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2009, 09:20:04 am »

If you make a female lizardman (lizardwoman?) and buff her up with high CHA, allure, and whatever other diplomatic boosts you want to give her, she can lend her lizardly charms to the enlisting of such creatures.

I remember last time I tried a character like that, I managed to seduce a monitor lizard.  That's one diplomatic negotiation I'm not sure I'd like to know about.
Oh yeah, I remember when my lizardman warrior was riding a fire-breathing drake, it was awesome. Never got as far as finding one of those full blown massive dragons though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2009, 06:59:07 pm »

I'd be confused too.

Allow me to explain the situation...  There is only one Kyrie in the area, one I summoned to do battle with a giant zombie tortoise.   It got hurt and started to run.  Then it cast command on itself.  Peculiar, but apparently effective enough to get it to start fighting again.

Summoned critters are so much fun...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2009, 07:02:40 pm »

I was surprised too, when I realized I can ignore Fear by casting that on myself.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2009, 07:45:54 pm »

It just seems so delightfully schizophrenic to me.

EDIT:  Okay, Alienists have now been confirmed as decidedly ace.  I've managed to get this guy up to level six (3 mage, 3 alien), and I've started casting my "lesser" summoning spells.  I didn't know before that this was how it worked, but every time you cast a lower summoning spell (I.E., second level caster casting monster summoning I), there's a chance the critter will pop out as a pseudonatural being.

And those things are f***in' killers.

They get massive boosts to their stats, immunity to weapons under +2 enchantment, slashing tentacle and acidic digesting attacks, a gaze attack that confuses, and some innate spells that can rock your world (or at least deny mundane physics from working properly)*.  I summoned a giant ant soldier in front of a couple crypt things backed up by three skeletal warriors.  The giant ant soldier popped out pseudonatural.

Several turns later, the surviving crypt thing is running for his afterlife, and the gibbering alien beast is right on his heels.  I didn't even know you could scare them.

EDIT2:

* Okay, I goofed on the stats.  Just look at them yourself:  http://incursion.wikidot.com/creature-templates#Pseudonatural

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2009, 11:51:48 pm »

Holy crap. I didn't want to play a prestige class until the level cap was heightened... but I normally play Weavecraft Mages and THAT is just too awesome to ignore.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 18, 2009, 07:16:28 am »

Downloaded this yesterday. This takes Rouge-like to a new level.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2009, 09:30:13 am »

Downloaded this yesterday. This takes Rouge-like to a new level.

Indeed, this is definitely the best roguelike. Have you seen the White Paper section on the official site?
Future Development

Now that a fully functioning “proof of concept” version of Incursion exists and runs, it is clearly time to go back and rewrite much of the code for elegance, efficacy and overall clarity. This may involve a rewrite of as much as 15% to 20% of Incursion’s existing codebase, and forms the next major task in the game’s development. It was necessary to write the game as it is now in order for these shortcomings to be realized and understood; very little that is listed here (except the vision system) could have been foreseen and avoided. Rather, it was necessary to write somewhat archaic code once in order to understand how and why some of the given tasks could be accomplished more elegantly. This cycle of “write-scrutinize-rewrite” tends to be a natural part of my programming style.

Another thing that needs to be revised is the balance of the game. The d20 system is written assuming that a party of adventurers will explore a dungeon together, while Incursion depends on a single player working alone, or with weaker allies and followers. It is only through playtesting that the ideal balance of numbers and challenges will be achieved in the game, and finding that balance will be a major objective of the next phase of development.
After this rewrite, the goal is to begin realizing the world of Incursion beyond a single dungeon. A large-scale wilderness screen will be added, along with towns, cities, ruins, temples and multiple dungeons. Quests will be scattered across the world, and development of the epic plotline concerning the Forsaken will begin.

I just can't wait to play with this upcoming, epic version.  :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2009, 11:49:38 am »

Okay, counterspells are bugged.

Whens someone begins casting a spell and your spellcraft check succeeds, it'll check to see if you have an appropriate spell to cast in order to negate the opponent's spell and prevent it from happening.  If you do have such a spell, a prompt will come up and ask if you want to cast the counterspell (which apparently requires a chunk of time, as indicated next to the spell type and cost).

Well, regardless of whether you cast the counterspell or not, you still sit there like an idiot for that chunk of time.  My alienist got stuck in a fight with an illithid mage, and the mage has resorted to spamming magic missiles at me.

I have a ridiculously high intelligence rating (30) which grants me a major buff to my already high spellcraft check.  As such, I cannot fail that check.  And, of course, I know the counterspell (another magic missile), so I can choose each and every time to either negate his spell or let him cast it uselessly into my magical defenses (which completely deflect magic missiles).

Regardless of what I do, I still sit around after each casting until he starts casting his next spell.  I am not allowed a single action, regardless of what I choose at that prompt.  My alienist has allowed the illithid to cast fifty missiles at me, and I have just as many times denied him his spells.

One time he decided to cast a summoning spell instead, so now there's an azmyth sitting there uselessly because I have persistent protection from evil.

I am utterly trapped.  I'm not allowed any actions, and it's obvious that the mage isn't going to run out of mana from casting all these spells.  I don't know what to do.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 18, 2009, 12:15:12 pm »

Found an easter egg, sort of.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2009, 12:27:08 pm »

What, do baddies have an unlimited MP reserve or something? It seems that even if the most skilled mage out there cast magic missile day and night, it would eventually run out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2009, 12:48:53 pm »

I think that when a spell costs 1 (or less), the drain of casting it only slightly outpaces the natural regeneration of mana.  At least that's the way it used to be, since I remember weavecrafters spamming first-level summons without blinking an eye.  They'd regen the energy as soon as they cast the spell.

Either that, or baddies just have an unlimited MP reserve.

Anyways, alienist is now at level 5, which gives me the innate spell-like ability "contact other plane".  Pretty cool, huh?

It'd be even cooler if the effect were implemented.  Right now, using it just spends time and informs me that it doesn't do anything.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2009, 01:55:48 pm »

Right now, using it just spends time and informs me that it doesn't do anything.

Yeah that's the reason that made me stop playing it, too many good stuff is still unimplemented... I really hope he will work on this game again, so much potential...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2009, 06:08:16 pm »

I.  Hate.  Bogwarts.

Picture this, I've just made a gnomish rogue who is using high INT scores to get an insane amount of skill points (24 per levelup, just about), and he's wandering around as an intellectual researcher, delving into the depths in search of things to...  Well, research.

I basically made him to go around picking up magical objects and figure out what they were by browsing through an ancient library.  He also had very high lockpicking, alchemy, device handling and healing skills, just because he's an educated old chap.

So one of the first traps he tries to disarm blows up in his face (had to get the high INT points from somewhere, and rogues tend to start out with a high DEX instead.  Trap skills are handled by DEX, and since they didn't get that little attribute bonus, things weren't going as smoothly as planned) and singes his backpack.  I figure, hey, adds charm.

Next I'm roaming my way through a room somewhere, and a bogwart pops out of the blue right in front of my nose and pokes me.

Pop goes my bag.

All my stuff drops on the ground.  I had to stab a couple packrats from just slurping it all up, and I closed one of the doors into that room (rather pointless, since it was a big open room and the primary thoroughfare for that region).  I then made my way across the map, trying desperately to find a replacement. 

Since packs are a very rare item to be included in standard loot (especially on the first freakin' level of the halls), I didn't find any.  What I did find was an old wooden chest that I had emptied earlier.  I figure it's better than just leaving it there.

So I lug this thing all the way back, and learn that chest aren't given the same container privileges as backpacks, so I can't just pop stuff into them from the ground.

And so begins the arduous task of filling up my shoulder and belt slots with as much junk from the ground as I can, opening up the chest, putting it in, and repeating. Took me seven goes before everything was back in.

And, of course, backpacks are equipped with natural anti-gravity field generators, so that the stuff inside them doesn't weigh so damned much.  Chests, on the other hand, are just heavy.  I go from light encumbrance to extreme.

Eventually I die because a boa constrictor wraps himself around me and my potions of dimension door are in the chest, and since chests aren't treated as standard containers, I couldn't just access one of them like I could with a pack.

And I thought I was being so clever.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 62