Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125525 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Incursion
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2008, 07:27:53 pm »

I'm still only reading page 2(at 50 posts/page) but noticed an odd thing in one of the download links.

Incursion 0.6.9H3 for Linux ( 1336 downloads).

It just needs one more...
Eh?
Eh!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2008, 07:57:04 pm »

Check again, someone did.  (I was going to, because it had to be done...)
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2008, 08:21:58 pm »

Also interesting, Incursion apparently has multi-tile monsters. I spawned a dragon in wizard mode. It was awesome. Reminded me of Baldur's Gate in its "Holy CRAP that's a Dragon"-ness.

Yes, yes it does, which is what I reference every time someone brings up multi-tile creatures in DF.

+++
+D+
+++

Everyone KNOWS that's a huge dragon.

The only thing Incursion can't visually represent is small, large, etc. sized creatures because there's no middle tile.  Anything under medium looks medium, large also looks medium, huge and gargantuan look the same, etc.

Upside?  You can have creatures that are up to....15 tiles wide I believe.  That's just --ing massive.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2008, 09:33:43 pm »

Actually Incursion does represent large and small creatures.  I can't tell if it uses -different- tiles, or just -scales- existing ones...but the ascii-style-happy-face is noticeably bigger for large ogres, and noticeably smaller for halflings.  They're still just one tile...but that's accurate for D&D 3rd Ed, which it's designed to simulate.

I played some more, and this time I gave up because it crashed when I got 13000 copper pieces from a chest.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Lavastine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 29, 2008, 09:53:28 pm »

I bet he never comes back to it.  Sucks too, because it could be a good game.  I don't think we'll ever hear from him.

He did the same thing last year. And before that as well.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2008, 10:31:23 pm »

Yeah, I doubt the developer will just vanish. He's clearly tired of it at the moment but certain resources on the site (The White Paper, for instance) shows that he's put far too much effort into the thing to let it wither on the vine.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2008, 07:21:58 am »

Actually Incursion does represent large and small creatures.  I can't tell if it uses -different- tiles, or just -scales- existing ones...but the ascii-style-happy-face is noticeably bigger for large ogres, and noticeably smaller for halflings.  They're still just one tile...but that's accurate for D&D 3rd Ed, which it's designed to simulate.

I played some more, and this time I gave up because it crashed when I got 13000 copper pieces from a chest.

Thread Necromancy, dragons and other very large creatures are represented my multiple tiles.  It shows the representative letter surrounded by white lines that fill the squares it fills.
Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2008, 07:47:36 am »

Yeah, I doubt the developer will just vanish.

Well I hope so that he won't vanish, this game is already pretty good.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2008, 01:26:53 am »

As the log said, the next update should be in early 2009. I bet he's waiting until Post-Christmas day to release it.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2008, 10:20:37 am »

Yeah, I can't wait for the new version. This is the best roguelike imo.  :) [..but only because DF is not a roguelike in my book.  ;D]

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 20, 2008, 02:51:06 pm »

DF's a rogue-like in my book. But incursion is good too. Along with crawl stone soup and a few others.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2009, 03:56:26 pm »

So, uh, yeah.  Practicing some Necromancy here, but this has been a nice topic and I've started playing this thing again.

Anyways, I've so far lost an orcish rogue (I'm not entirely sure where my obsession is with orcish assassins came from...  Probably Age of Wonders), an alienist-hopeful (that was a shame) and someone so unremarkable I have completely forgotten about them.

I'm currently grooming a necromancer to start worshiping Mara, pumping up my diplomacy to respectable levels so that I can make full use of Mara's undead-quelling abilities (which are condensed awesome, I might add).

So I'm walking around and I come across a room filled with mongrelmen who are just squatting in a little pool over in the corner.  I start talking with them, using my not-unimpressive skills of diplomacy.  After a while, I decide to try my luck and see if any of them might be willing to be a meatshield.

Three recruited mongrelmen later, I wander through a forge.  The mongrelmen rush around and pick up tons of junk, which they then equip themselves with.  Now, instead of three naked mongrelmen, I've got some decked-out warriors (albeit rather small ones) standing by my side.

Seriously, diplomacy is awesome.  Just build up an army of "fellow" adventurers who can use all the stuff you can't/don't want to.  If they pick up something you want, just tell them to give it to you.  Speaking of which, my diplomacy skill also managed to convince a neutral aranea who was faster than me at grabbing a magical girdle to give up his loot.  For free.

I love how this place is just so alive.  It feels a hell of a lot more like a real underground world than the more "adventurer tourist location" areas of Crawl.  The neutral denizens, infighting and random adventurers just give the place a flavor that is very much to my liking.  And it favors a seriously cautious playstyle, which is also just fine with me.

I see that the Multitude got a major nerf by getting pissed off by the use of healing potions...  Shame.  Still though, free demons are always a nice incentive.  However, apparently the problem with Mara's gifts has been fixed (and then REALLY fixed) recently, which is a major plus.  And if the manual is to be believed, there are even more prestige classes available...  Might have to look into that.

Also, Weavecrafters are still friggin' ace.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2009, 04:05:42 pm »

I do wonder if he still remembers this.

It is early 2009...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2009, 05:18:44 pm »

Well, that was fun.  Another Mara-hopeful destroyed.  This time, I'd actually managed to find the Parthenon in order to convert.  I even found the mangled corpse of some poor old druid to offer to Mara as a gift.

And then I got nuked by a gnomish zombie just as I was in the process of putting back on my amulet of undead warding, which I had taken off in order to put on my shiny new amulet of Mara.  Is that irony?

Anyways, screw Mara.  At least for now...   Think I might try another alienist...  Or perhaps a druid.  Those are always fun.

Or maybe I'll try a spiked chain warrior again.  I remember the carnage from last time I tried that...  I'll just have to figure out how to get them set up again.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2009, 05:51:00 pm »

I do wonder if he still remembers this.

It is early 2009...

He does. He posted over on a Something Awful topic related to incursion and spread a bugfixed version of the last release. He's apparently working on it, but got delayed by life a bit. And he doesn't have an internet connection at home*, so he hasn't updated the site. Or so I read, I may have left an important tidbit out.

* Apparently to keep him from getting distracted from internet forums. I think that's why I never get anything done...

Yeah, Incursion is much more lively than any other roguelike I played. I flat out CAN'T play games like Angband now, they just seem so dull. Diplomacy is my favorite skill, or it will be when the associated bugs are mended. My followers love shooting each other and blaming it on me, but getting a team of Arenea is just too cool.

If I recall, in wizard mode, I even recruited a dragon of some sort. Now that's diplomacy...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62