Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125540 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to be a LG Paladin of Immotian then.  Staying Lawful isn't very hard.  Good is near-impossible.  On the plus side, he must be one of the easiest gods to sacrifice to ever, and I just had him turn some huge CR devil to a pillar of salt.

I think the last straw was having to reload because a @#$% TURN UNDEAD usage made me break my paladin-hood.  They're @#$% UNDEAD!

Another @#$% case was when I offer terms to some creature, succeed, and Immotian gives out his "Let no unlawful villain lay hands upon my follower!", blasts all the guys around me, kills the thing I just gave terms, and hits me for about 1/2 of my alignment.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Devastator ]

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Devastator ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

The easiest god to sacrifice to would be the Multitude.  They'll take anything that was at one point somewhat-alive, and they prefer it if it's weaker than you.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2008, 11:54:00 pm »

I've never even made an attempt to serve Immotian.  He hates arcane magic (incl. wands, and I looove wands).  He hates disease, which you will eventually catch unless you're immune (similarly, either Xavias or Asherath hates it when you trigger a trap, which will inevitably happen to most characters).

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2008, 05:22:00 am »

He doesn't get mad at you for using wands, he just wants wands and spellbooks sacrificed to him.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

Well, I guess that's not so bad then.  The description suggests that he hates any use of arcane magic in any capacity.  I love scroll-reading wand-wielding rogues and mages.  Therefore I've avoided Immotian.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

I don't think he'll take spellcasters, however...  But then again that might be another misinterpretation.

If you like the wand-blasting types, I heartily suggest a gnomish warrior.  Zook was great fun while he lasted, and remarkably versatile.  I had a whole bundle of wands that I was carrying around, and so I had a lovely list of things to pick from whenever something nasty showed up.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2008, 07:59:19 am »

I don't know how much memory does this game require, but 1 GB seems to be not enough. Playing longer than 30 minutes grinds everything to halt, as my system reserves more and more virtual memory. Eventually, I have random crashes or the program just hangs and I have to kill it.

The game will be great when it's fixed... As for now, it's almost unplayable. Almost.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2008, 10:32:22 am »

...Incursion?  That can't be right, surely.  Unless your computer is several decades old.

Or am I crazy?  Come to think of it, there was an option for advanced pathfinding that warns of a lot of lag.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:22 am »

Yeah, I had "Monsters using Dijkstra" on... Let's see if turning it off help...

EDIT

OK, it helped. Incursion.exe now takes 22 MB instead of 500 and more. And there were no random crashes.

By the way: it seems that a warrior in this game lives exactly until he drinks his last potion of Dimension Door. An enemy with tanglefoot bags or "Grease" spell? You're dead. You're on a pit? You're dead. And encountering any trap is like playing russian roulette: you won't see it, you won't handle it even when you spotted it, so it's basically a matter of saving throws and hit points.

My YASD: I had a warrior who rolled a whip of brilliant energy. Given his very high dexterity, he was a perfect candidate to worship Semirath. So I have found a pantheon, then an altar. I have brought a corpse of a bandit I managed to kill earlier, approached the altar...

...and fallen through a trapdoor. A trapdoor one tile away of that f*****g altar. Straight into a kobold warren, full of gremlins with tanglefoot bags and their traps. OK, I managed to survive - mainly because I had a helmet of telepathy and killed most of the beasts sleeping. So I tried to find a stair up. Then a horde of slow shadows approached me, sucked my speed and, when trying to run, I stepped into a graveyard full of zombies who wouldn't have been a danger if they weren't now much faster than me...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:38:01 pm by Gantolandon »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2008, 04:00:28 pm »

I rolled a psionic ability once that shot strands of silvery liquid out of my hands that exploded on contact with air.  Basically a high damage fireball with a small amount of recoil damage due to the range and shape of the fireball.  I was owning everything, and then I found a  wand of Hellfire.  Truly incredible spell, it created this huge cloud of fire that filled up the entire GRAVEYARD.  Once again, I tried an AoE spell in a graveyard.  I died.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2008, 07:52:18 pm »

A fun thing to do is to first get a cleric to a relatively high level, then shoot some area-effect thing into a graveyard when you're standing at a safe distance.  Then, move out of the way before something shoots at you.

Then, use greater turning (you do have the sun domain, don't you?) and blast as much as you can before fainting.  Great fun.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2008, 12:00:12 am »

Trying a True Neutral Male Halfling Weavecrafter-Mage. So far, Weavers are a lot of fun, but have one terrible drawback. Normally phase door just takes you away, but they can target it. Sadly, if you're covered in mist, your targets are only right next to you, and not perhaps-anywhere.

Take the Augment Summon feat at first level and you can get amusing situations fairly quickly! See, instead of a lone Halfling mage being terrified by a group of Elder Bonedelvers, we were a party of six racially and genetically diverse beings being terrified by a group of Elder Bonedelvers.

Think I'll try a Necromancer if this poor fellow bites the +Bullet+. I love Incursion's Mana system... usually.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2008, 12:27:04 am »

I recently beat the game with a gnome ranger worshiping asherath. I was as evil as they come, but the the ability to spit death 235% attack speed from the get go made it worth it (my cranquin was criting for something like 5d12+60 (70?) near the end. The goblin king went down in three hits. (one of them was a crit).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2008, 06:28:31 pm »

I was bored, so I loaded up my pretty much boned Multitude Priest(No mana, fighting a good priest with protection from evil activated, who had been summoned by a Myconid Mage with an aura of death, who was waiting for me if I beat the Priest).  Caster-Fights are spectacular.  Counters, spells flying, summons fighting each other, it's like Harry Potter vs. Gandalf, and they're both on PCP.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2008, 07:00:04 pm »

Haha. Go Gandalf! I quit my last character due to some annoying bug telling me I don't know how to ride when I've spent several ranks in the riding skill and successfully cast Mount. There's a new version, so I started again. First mage is chopped apart by a sahagin chieftain, the second fell prey to a dispel trap in a bad place.

A dispel trap that lowered my maximum mana from 60 to 20, due to the mage's channeling stone. That's *cruel*.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62