Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125553 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

I will happily blast wands in all directions, but I'm damn wary of magical equipment.  I'll hold on to everything I come by until I find a cache of identification scrolls or an ancient library if I can research.

Sometimes I get so overburdened by magical junk that I just start blasting wands and drinking potions to see what I keep and what I toss.  This has ended in some interesting events from time to time.

Like the time I zapped a wand of monster summoning and had a mechanical King Kong looking at me.  Hostile, of course.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2008, 03:38:00 am »

Nethack has trained me well.  Never equip anything that might be cursed.  Potions and wands are fair game, though.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

When you find an amulet and your intuition tells you that it is a blessed and powerful magic item - don't try to equip it immediately!! (beware the Amulet of Strangulation)

It is better to try wands found on first levels nearly immediately. Very powerful items are rarely generated there and the hope for a wand of identify is already present. Later you will not be able to distinguish between wands that you picked at first level and at fifth. It is also somewhat safer to try some wands before converting to some of the gods due to [light], [evil] and some other spell attributes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2008, 04:50:00 am »

If you ever get an amulet of strangulation, hold on to it for a while...  When one of those annoying grab-all-the-loot-'cause-I'm-neutral critters shows up and takes something you like, drop it in his general vicinity...  It's by no measure an assured way, but if you get lucky and he puts it on...   Ah, glorious revenge.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

It may be a bug in 0.6.5B or it may be smart spellcaster but I once dropped about 5 different cursed items near the dungeon entrance without any side thought. Some time later I saw a hostile humanoid in that room (probably an elf or human, don't remember who exactly) and he was wearing all the items from the cursed pile. After I killed him - all his items were in uncursed state. Maybe he knew "remove curse" spell? Anyway "returning curse" is really nasty. For other items - maybe dropping them near some neutral spellcasters and then bartering/requesting/leading them to death by any means is worthwhile?

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2008, 10:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>If you ever get an amulet of strangulation, hold on to it for a while...  When one of those annoying grab-all-the-loot-'cause-I'm-neutral critters shows up and takes something you like, drop it in his general vicinity...  It's by no measure an assured way, but if you get lucky and he puts it on...   Ah, glorious revenge.</STRONG>

Isn't there a spell that makes an item seem extremely powerful and desirable?  I'd love to try that with an AoS...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

Yeah, it's some long and windy babbling of a name which I have forgotten.

I'm not entirely sure why, but orcish assassins strike me as quite cool.  This blighter had a rough first thousand XP though...  Also, orcish weapons and armor really aren't made for stealthy or even acrobatic characters, due to the nasty penalties on their equipment.

I briefly considered making a dwarven miner who essentially just fought with a pick (since mining is currently not very useful, as I've stated before).  But then I looked at the pickaxe weapon stats and realized that they're horrible!

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

New version is up.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originially posted by the changelog
<STRONG>* Aiswin no longer expects you to get revenge on traps that
   critically wound you, or on dieties expressing their
   wrath upon you.</STRONG>

BWAHAHAHAHA-

quote:
Originially posted by the changelog
<STRONG>* Summoned creatures and illusions can no longer be live-
   sacced.</STRONG>

Damn.

Okaay...  Looks like he's added lots of new stuff to kill us or make us weaker...  But nothing to actually help'em out or add new character-based "nifty stuff".

I may just have to take up a necromancer again...  Get myself some goons to keep me safe.

EDIT:  Oh, you have got to be kidding.  The Multitude gets angry with you if you drink a freakin' healing potion??!?  Is that what it meant by that "magical healing" thing in the changelog?  Goddamn.  Literally, in fact.

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

Anyone know of any bad effects if a monk worships a non-monk god?  I tried converting from Immotian to Semirath, and note that you get a warning and a "Attempt conversion anyway? Y/N", but didn't notice any particular downsides, other than being too cautious for his tastes.  (At one point, a voice from above spake, saying "Grauitous nudity is ALWAYS appropriate!" And lo, and ALL my equipment was gone- scatterd to random locations around the dungeon level.  I got back the important bits.)

Also, BAB (Base Attack Bonus)... how is it calculated?  I can't find it in the manual.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

I haven't been able to figure out the BAB either...  And as for the nudity thing, welcome to the glory of Semirath.  At least you didn't get the double-whammy where he removes all your stuff and then dumps rotten innards over you so you become diseased (and curses some of your items while he's at it).

You can't even try to have a safe night's rest without him getting pissed...  Goodbye, hearthstones of Onanda.

Anyways, I just found out that intimidate can make folks join you.  That makes things great for an orcish overlord, since he can just cow his warriors into submission.  Saves a lot of skill points.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2008, 10:49:00 am »

I couldn't even rest in open dungeon without upsetting him.  Right up until I tried and got murdered in my sleep, anyway.  Oh well.  The Aiswin trap thing is a welcome change, even if he's not really an ideal god since most of my characters rely on not getting hit at all if possible...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

Now that he's done that dreadful thing to the Multitude, I don't know where to turn...  I can't even worship Xel now, since you can no longer sacrifice summoned creatures.  How the hell are you supposed to get a sacrificial creature inside the parthenon like that?  The only way I could fathom would be if you were damn good at talking people into following you...  But then you could be setting yourself up for a dangerous fight, all depending.

Ehh...  Incursion hasn't really been able to hold my interest lately...  I'll start a character, go five steps, and then get bored with him.  I really hope he adds in some new, interesting, and potentially helpful stuff next version.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

He needs to fix the bugs before he adds more stuff, a summoner character is pretty much broken because every five or so summons you crash.
Shoes...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>grab-all-the-loot-'cause-I'm-neutral critters</STRONG>

That's precisely what bugs me the most about playing diplomats or non-evil characters.  Diplomats have to waste several hundred keypresses requesting all the NPC's recently acquired gear, and has to do it constantly to avoid the 24 hour possession timer.  Non-evil characters become evil when they attack or steal from neutral or formerly peaceful NPCs.

The Multitude never whines when you kill that shithead fighter with no Use Magic skill for hogging all those wands.

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>Also, BAB (Base Attack Bonus)... how is it calculated?  I can't find it in the manual.</STRONG>

BAB is part of the d20 ruleset.  Every class has a level-based BAB progression.  Warrior types get +1 BAB per class level.  Other classes vary.  I think wizards are +1 per 2 levels while rogues/clerics are +2 per 3 levels.  Monks are something like clerics IIRC except they get warrior BAB while unarmed.

I don't know how Incursion handles BAB progression, but it's probably pretty similar.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62