Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125571 times)

Cambel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2008, 07:00:00 am »

Hi folks,

Since I can't find a forum dedicated to Incursion, I'll ask here:

Does anyone know of a way to heal allies (eg companion animals) if you're not a spellcaster with a healing spell?

- The Healing skill only works for yourself;
- The Animal Companions skill doesn't include healing;
- Potions of healing can only be drunk rather than also thrown at or poured over a companion animal (it seems);

Any better ideas? cheers

[ May 07, 2008: Message edited by: Cambel ]

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

quote:
...Potions of healing can only be drunk rather than also thrown at or poured over a companion animal (it seems)

No idea how to answer your question, but man - I just love the image of this.

"Get better, ya lousy horse!" *throws glass vial* "Ha! Glass in your eye means you're getting better!"

:roll:

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Cambel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>"Get better, ya lousy horse!" *throws glass vial* "Ha! Glass in your eye means you're getting better!"</STRONG>

Yeah seems dodgy to me as well, but it works in Nethack, right? Not sure. It definitely does not work in Incursion - the animal gets angry with you, quite reasonably. Unfortunately commands like 'pour' or 'rub with' or 'apply' don't work either.

I think it would be cool if the Healing skill + healing kit allowed for the treatment of pets' wounds, and if the Animal Companions skill + potion of healing allowed for the pet lapping up the potion.

Meanwhile - any known workarounds?

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cambel:
<STRONG>
Does anyone know of a way to heal allies (eg companion animals) if you're not a spellcaster with a healing spell?

</STRONG>

Find a non-hostile spellcaster with the knowledge of healing spells, buy a relevant service spell from him and choose the ally as the target.
It will probably drain your mana, though (unless it was fixed in the latest release)

That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

NetHack, ADoM and others have no problem with thrown potions causing effects.  In Incursion, if you throw a potion that has a magical effect, the game crashes.  This includes potions of healing.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2008, 10:09:00 am »

Alternatively, wait around.  Companion animals (ie named ones gained with the Animal Companions ability, but not native animals you've befriended) regenerate slowly on their own (1 hp per round).
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

On that note, I just had a wonderful run as a long-bow centered elven ranger. There's nothing quite like taking out five adlets before they could see you...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

Having some success with my dual punching-dagger wielding ranger.  Tried a lizardman, didn't really work.  Nothing like taking out four gobbos and their chieftain, riiiight after they see you.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2008, 06:51:00 am »

Okaaaay....   Just started up an orcish evoker, and got to level three.  I immediately picked burning sphere, since it's a wonderful summoning spell and it counts as evocation.  It's just good to have.

Well, it's bugged.  I've cast the spell three times, and I've summoned a graveborn boalisk, a tiny air elemental, and a mote of entropy.  Not one of which, as I'm sure you can tell, is a burning sphere.

While it is admittedly quite nice being able to summon stuff like graveborn boalisks and motes of entropy, I was really hoping for a burning sphere.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

Hmmm. Experimenting with the whole 'throwing potions' thing.

Thing is, could of sworn it's working, having dismissed a horde of zombies by unleashing a flurry of Dimension Door Potions upon them.

Either way, the Kobold Mage met a quick end, followed quickly by a Bard whose constant strum-strum-strumming was so obnoxious that his allies quickly turned on him after being terrified beyond their wits by a boa constrictor (a creature that seems to be my number one cause of death)

Next up: No idea. Maybe a bolas-happy Drow. If there was a Weapon Aptitude: Pearly Whites I'd roll a cannibal or something.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2008, 07:07:00 am »

Kobolds and lizardmen get natural attack bonuses with the monk class, but they'll only use their clawing and biting attacks if you tweak an option on one of the menus.  After that, take wilderness lore as a new skill.  

Is it just me, or is wilderness lore only useful for eating dead people?  Makes it a pain when I want some evil character that consumes his conquered foes...  

Orcs are good for cannibalism, but you still need a high rating in wilderness lore (or, get ridiculously lucky and roll a character with natural immunity to disease.  That was awesome).

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2008, 07:17:00 am »

Bah! My Drow was only good for throwing adamant chakrams at sprite dragons. Got ambushed by a Dust Devil and beaten to death by a Zombie Porpoise after wasting all her adamant Bolas on Ice Toads and Adlets.

Lizardman Monk, eh? This requires... investigation!

EDIT: And that was fun. Got sick after consuming the first Lizardman corpse I found, but after that it was smooth sailing. Managed to chase a Rainbow Sprite from one end of the level to the next, before finally defeating and greedily eating the body to gain its WARRIOR SPIRIT (and I didn't get sick! Hurrah!) Upon reflection, perhaps gaining the spirit of something whose methods for defence include flinging twigs at you in between bouts of firing a Care Bear Happy-Wappy Fuzzums Rainbow Blast would be a -bad thing-. Bah! My stomach knows no sensibilities!

A few doors later and I found myself Dimension Door-ing for a while after crashing a Zombie convention (oddly, the graveyard next door was completely empty) Got into a boomerang duel with a Mylecine, before a Warhorse kicked me to bits.

In conclusion: Rainbow Spites tasty, boomerangs awesome, cannibalism great fun for all concerned, and nature = cruel mistress.

May do a Halfling Rogue with bumped up Diplomacy and spend the time sneaking around and whispering in people's ears. Before punching their kidneys into their throat and dancing away merrily atop a gallant War-dog.

:D

[ May 08, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2008, 09:55:00 am »

I took up a halfling cleric of Hesani before (mentioned him a page or two back), and had lots of fun talking to folks.  I'd quell my enemies, and thus get loads of favor with Hesani along with a load of experience, and in the event of something I couldn't talk sense into (say, a beetle.  Hesani gets mad if you kill any living creature, regardless of its ability/inability to converse) I'd talk someone else into attacking it for me.  For some peculiar reason, convincing someone to attack a creature that was formerly neutral to them earned me favor with the all-loving peace god, and a bonus to my "goodness".  It may have given me some experience as well, I don't remember...

Any resolved conflict gets you lots of favor with Hesani, and he's very happy if you sacrifice gold to him (in fact, he never gets tired of it).  This, combined with Hesani's natural tendency to give aid freely, can grant you numerous "deflected blows", among other bonuses.

But really,  Multitude all the way man.  Groups of demons casually dropping by to die for you, free spells (not necessarily all that great, but some can be useful), and the ability to sacrifice any and every damned corpse you come across in the entire frikkin' dungeon just can't be beat.  They like it when you do "evil" things (in other words, just about any act that actually helps you), and they really like sacrifices made from creatures that are weaker than you are.  I mean, they're bloody awesome.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Something or other the human priest of the Multitude. He actually made it to level two before (despite his at least a dozen manes) he was killed by one of those goblin chiefs. Gah, those guys are annoying. He had already killed 30 goblins, then that single one took him out.

EDIT: DON'T KICK GRAVESTONES.

[ May 08, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2008, 06:49:00 am »

Trying a multitude priest now.  If you ever get Ectoplasmic Cocoon as a free power during character gen, PICK IT!  It's pretty much automatic, no mana, free rest with no chance of being attacked.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 62