Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 89

Author Topic: Your best artifact ever  (Read 301426 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Your best artifact ever
« Reply #960 on: October 24, 2011, 07:43:22 am »

Artifacts can't be destroyed, and gold isn't flammable (so no ‼Artifact Anvil‼), so you should be able to use it in a magma forge just fine.  Said magma forge should be the centerpiece of the temple described above.

I've had an artifact floodgate destroyed by magma

You sure it was truly destroyed? Maybe it was just hidden by the flow bug? Did you check the stocks?

Artifacts are only magma-resistant if the base material is magma-resistant. So if that was wooden floodgate, for example, then it is no more.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:32 am »

Artifacts can't be destroyed, and gold isn't flammable (so no ‼Artifact Anvil‼), so you should be able to use it in a magma forge just fine.  Said magma forge should be the centerpiece of the temple described above.

I've had an artifact floodgate destroyed by magma

You sure it was truly destroyed? Maybe it was just hidden by the flow bug? Did you check the stocks?

Artifacts are only magma-resistant if the base material is magma-resistant. So if that was wooden floodgate, for example, then it is no more.
Artifacts don't fully burn, though, so it would just end up burning infinitely. Not good if you want water to go through it without boiling into steam.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 24, 2011, 07:53:28 am »

An artifact addy crossbow... The pony meme slayer. Speaks for itself :d
Except adamantine is extremely light, so you only get the accuracy boost. Better have a lot of bolts, cause your marksdwarf will be so damn dead.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #963 on: October 24, 2011, 08:04:40 am »

An artifact addy crossbow... The pony meme slayer. Speaks for itself :d
Except adamantine is extremely light, so you only get the accuracy boost. Better have a lot of bolts, cause your marksdwarf will be so damn dead.

*I know*

Besides, why would you deliberately make crossbows for clubs? :D
I'm building it a grand vault, setting it up as a weapon trap to preserve it in the ages.
Also, I swear it has had a SOOPAH effect on my fortress, I've gone from around 5-10 migrants per wave to (what looks like to me) over 30 migrants per wave D:
I guess they want to see it too.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 28, 2011, 06:00:43 pm »

I got a ring with a picture of a dwarf embracing a cat.  The name of the artifact?  "The Sour Beguiler"  Lol!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 30, 2011, 09:41:43 pm »

Tunomakam Kumil Inem, "Mortalfortune the Armory of Requiring", a adamantine battle axe. Basic Value: 1636800

The champion of the fortress is conveniently an axedwarf.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #966 on: October 30, 2011, 10:09:39 pm »

Today alone I had a bin and two awesome statues amongst other things.  I'll be posting screenies soon.  My dwarves really go to town with the decorations.  One of the statues is of a named cougar who settled in the area, along with a scene of my swarves arriving in the area.  another statue is the settling of Rightrack, my fort.  The bin is pretty cool, and useful too.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #967 on: October 30, 2011, 10:12:27 pm »

Amongst my Adamantine crossbow, the Buck of Rot, I now have a limestone throne, and a jade door.

Individually, they're cool.

BUT TOGETHER

THEY

ARE

AWSUMS

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 31, 2011, 01:23:13 am »

I don't know about best ever, but my latest fort made a gold whip.  It even had a picture of the leader being chosen as such.  Though it said she was a wife of a troll, so she apparently married a night creature sometime down the road.

Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 31, 2011, 05:07:49 am »

inb4someonepoststheadamantineplatefromheadshoots
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 05, 2011, 06:52:53 pm »

Just crafted a billion breastplate.  Anyone know if that is worth using?  If not, any suggestion on how to display it?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 06, 2011, 03:16:31 am »

Just crafted a billion breastplate.  Anyone know if that is worth using?  If not, any suggestion on how to display it?

It's a non-armor-grade material so it's supposed to be inferior to even copper, not to mention steel and shit. That's the theory. My militia commander has been wearing a silver breastplate for like ten years now, and he does no worse than the ones wearing steel. As long as the wearer is sufficiently skilled and you give them a steel mail shirt to wear under it, it should work out.

As regards putting artifacts on display, this won't help you with your current fortress but search for display case mods. Those allow you to place artifacts in buildings that enhance room value and supposedly get admired. I'd use a mod like that myself but I forgot about it last time I was generating a new world, and adding buildings requires a regen.

Scottzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Water is truly the most dwarven of fluids
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 06, 2011, 03:48:14 am »

I don't know about best ever, but my latest fort made a gold whip.  It even had a picture of the leader being chosen as such.  Though it said she was a wife of a troll, so she apparently married a night creature sometime down the road.
That is, literally, the second most powerful artifact possible. We all know how godlike whips are, and gold is obscenely heavy. Just use a danger room to level someone up, and let them go. Platinum is heavier, though, and also iron grade in terms of Armour pen which makes it godlike against goblins, (because platinum weight + bonus criticals = something like 95% chance of critical hit through iron breastplate/helmet).

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 06, 2011, 04:13:24 am »

Which reminds me.. my best ever was a platinum mace, on my computer at home. When I saw that, first I orgasmed because omg blunt object made from platinum. (Ill give it to the sheriff!) Then I saw, legendary weaponsmith and then I decided this fort will go well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #974 on: November 06, 2011, 06:54:22 pm »

Which reminds me.. my best ever was a platinum mace, on my computer at home. When I saw that, first I orgasmed because omg blunt object made from platinum. (Ill give it to the sheriff!) Then I saw, legendary weaponsmith and then I decided this fort will go well.

Sheriff.... Platinum mace....

D:
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 89