Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 89

Author Topic: Your best artifact ever  (Read 294254 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: Your best artifact ever
« Reply #1200 on: February 20, 2013, 03:53:56 pm »

Just now I acquired "The Dirge of Beasts," a dwarf-bone mace. On the item is an image of dwarves and dwarves. The dwarves are striking down the dwarves. Crafted by a fell child in the final days of Knightspear, amid the chaos of the last 30 miserable bastards left alive, to tantrum and kill each other in the last sad, sickening parody of the fellowship they once lived in.
That sounds so awesome. Too bad bone sucks in melee.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 21, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »

Too bad bone sucks in melee.
Yeah, a bone blunt weapon is going to be absolutely useless. Bone has a density of 500, the same as wood. Compare that to Aluminum, the least dense metal (besides candy), which has a density of 2700! An aluminum mace will be about 5 times more effective than one made out of bone, assuming they're the same quality. Since yours is artifact quality, it will be slightly less ineffective than that.

So you know those hilariously ineffective wooden swords we all laugh at the elves using? Your bone mace is basically one of those.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:24:55 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 21, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »

However, your bone mace can be assigned to your guard captain and used to beat criminals.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 21, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »

My favorite artifact is the last one I've gotten, the only practical one I've ever had.

Duthnurinstol, "Guardbursts", a honey badger bone shield.

"This is a honey badger bone shield. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with rattlesnake bone and encircled with bands of maple and cave spider silk. This object is adorned with hanging rings of chalk and menaces with spikes of honey badger bone and cave spider silk."

Value: 12,840 Urists.

I like to think the cave spider silk spikes are really just the silk wrapping the bone spikes, and that the maple bands are reinforcement, with the silk bands like stripes of color on it. It looks cool in my head, I promise. It's currently being wielded by my militia commander.

Does anyone know the properties of a bone shield? Is it a pathetic shield, or is it something worth handing down through the generations of soldiers?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:25:44 pm by Sulacsol »

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 22, 2013, 06:18:52 am »

My favorite artifact is the last one I've gotten, the only practical one I've ever had.

Duthnurinstol, "Guardbursts", a honey badger bone shield.

"This is a honey badger bone shield. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with rattlesnake bone and encircled with bands of maple and cave spider silk. This object is adorned with hanging rings of chalk and menaces with spikes of honey badger bone and cave spider silk."

Value: 12,840 Urists.

I like to think the cave spider silk spikes are really just the silk wrapping the bone spikes, and that the maple bands are reinforcement, with the silk bands like stripes of color on it. It looks cool in my head, I promise. It's currently being wielded by my militia commander.

Does anyone know the properties of a bone shield? Is it a pathetic shield, or is it something worth handing down through the generations of soldiers?
It'll suck for crushing attacks, but the material of a shield doesn't affect its blocking capacity. So it's the best defense you could have. Treasure it.
I recently got a Gneiss Bed which I plan to use for a child super soldier cage. You know, the thing with a cramped room, a child and crazy tame animals. I hope it'll prevent violent tantrums and if not, at least I won't have to put another bed in there. Oh, and an Iron Lever menacing with spikes of lignite. It'll be the fort's Doom Lever, to be pulled only when appropriate desperation is warranted. I'm actually considering a simple spear trap surrounding it, so the dwarf who pulls get harmed to simulate the spikes.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 22, 2013, 06:29:31 am »

Two consecutive iridium greataxe artifacts (Orc Fortress with Masterwork mod).

Currently being dualwielded by my strongest warrior.  :D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 24, 2013, 02:27:32 am »

It's not a fort mode artifact, but Legends mode coughed up this gem...  With emphasis on what makes it so great, I present... "Annihilation Without Limits"!

If Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres became an immortal necromancer.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 24, 2013, 11:29:27 am »

I recently got a giant serrated bone blade artifact. I'll try to get the picture.

necroneous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 28, 2013, 04:12:38 pm »

Roughscreams The Ferocious Gates
Don't have the exact description but it was a Platinum Battleaxe with menacing spikes of Cave spider silk

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 03, 2013, 03:09:22 pm »

I think Echofuture speaks for itself
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 03, 2013, 03:24:48 pm »

I just got this artifact. Similar to the very first one in the OP, but wow! It's valued at 1652400 Dwarf Bucks, a 1/5th of the value of my entire Fortress.

I think it has its own story to tell as well, which I really like: The Dwarven Civilisation I'm part of (The Brass Shields, part of the Glorious Oars) was conquered by Goblins in the year 140 or so. The current King is a Goblin and is chained up in the Throne room.

The Dwarf who made this artifact is a master soldier. It's almost like he's engraved this axe with the original Dwarven king from the old times as a massive rebellious middle finger to the Goblin rulers and such an act of defiance will spark a great Dwarf uprising to reclaim their rightful leadership!

(Long story short, I'm going to dump that Goblin King in the magma sea, declare war on everyone and live as a Goblin-free independant state. With this axe as a catalyst :D )

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 04, 2013, 07:53:11 am »

i wonder if you can have slade warhammers. That things potentially should create rifts on the floor.

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:08 pm »

(Long story short, I'm going to dump that Goblin King in the magma sea, declare war on everyone and live as a Goblin-free independant state. With this axe as a catalyst :D )

I do like it when artifacts can be incorporated into an ongoing story. One of my orcs recently made a bone weapon rack, depicting a bustling dwarven city in bone. The gods have made their intent clear, and the longships are being readied for war...

Cathartes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 04, 2013, 07:20:58 pm »

Hi, this is my first post here ever.  I had to make an account for the sole purpose of sharing this amzing artifact:

Yes.  Legendary steel-studded underwear.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:34:44 pm by Cathartes »

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 04, 2013, 07:32:35 pm »

I don't seem to have saved a screenshot but I once had an adamantine crown with an image of my civilization's king surrounded by crowns

also once had an adamantine sock :|
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 89