Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 89

Author Topic: Your best artifact ever  (Read 294468 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Your best artifact ever
« Reply #1005 on: January 02, 2012, 06:16:01 pm »

This, Manthulnulon, "The Deviant Blames," the 24th artifact of the fortress of Whiteletter, is the best artifact I have ever produced.

The maker of Manthulnulon had walled herself into what was to be my magma workshops' power source with a floodgate because I wasn't paying attention. She had been down there a while, and was starving and dehydrated. So what did she do? She went fey. She went fey just so that I would LOOK AT HER.

When I saw her, said "oh crap" and let her out, she ran down to the temporary forge by the magma sea, grabbed a single bar of iron, hammered out a crappy artifact breastplate, and made a beeline for the booze. Keep in mind that this was the 24th artifact of the fortress, and most of them were using about 10 ingredients. She didn't really care about the artifact. She just wanted to get out.

Some previous, long-winded artifact shenanigans from Whiteletter I posted to Reddit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1006 on: January 02, 2012, 06:28:50 pm »

That's a story to remember.

I had a clothier do something like that to me once. Ran around nabbing stuff, and I locked the door to her workshop, about a month after she made the artifact, she dies of starvation. Oops.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:31 pm »

I got a artifact addy battle axe and nearly as soon as I made it, my legendary axedwarf who was wielding it went berserk and chased one of my lye makers outside of the fortress. They did a bit of a benny hill for a bit and then the axedwarf tackled him off a cliff. The lyemaker died on impact but the axedwarf broke his arms and legs, he dropped the axe and as I went to get it with my military....A fucking pack of  rhesus macaque came and one of them grabbed it and ran all the way to the end of the map and it was lost forever  :'(
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 02, 2012, 06:53:37 pm »

My armorer made a pair of Adamantine greaves. Needless to say, my one-armed militia commander is having a field day with them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1009 on: January 02, 2012, 07:18:48 pm »

An artifact red cloak.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 02, 2012, 11:11:25 pm »

^^^
I LAIK

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 03, 2012, 01:30:26 am »

I got a bone bracelet with a picture of itself engraved on it. Then I got a scepter with an image of the bone bracelet on it. Damn.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 03, 2012, 02:58:28 am »

an adamantine spear made studded with raw adamantine, incrusted with cut green diamond
yep... it was like 1.6 mil
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 03, 2012, 03:08:06 pm »

Wow, now that I'm looking at this from work, I really gotta find a way to arrange my tiny room so I'm not actually sitting six feet away from my screen. That screen cap is huge!

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 03, 2012, 04:10:58 pm »

I am always, always happy to have artifact doors. Don't care how fancy or non-fancy they are. Don't even care if the dwarf grabs steel or platinum (or even more valuable stuff) for the door. Artifact doors are worth every dwarf-penny.

Taeraresh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 17, 2012, 03:44:53 am »

Not the best I've ever seen, but it has an awesome name, and got me a legendary weaponsmith. "Bluntstorm the Mist of Blaming", a copper battle axe.
I've got a truly ridiculous amount of gold in this fort, so I modded things slightly to let me make weapons out of it, and set the legendary weaponsmith loose. Let's just say that masterwork gold warhammers do quite of a lot of damage.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 17, 2012, 06:59:34 am »

Just got myself an artifact pine bow, with a detailed description of pretty much every siege the fort has gone through up until this point with the focus on my archer who'd been using a looted copper bow from the goblins. Guess who got it!

I imagine that the bow itself is a massive and really well carved bow with the hamstring from one of the fallen enemies.

The really cool part comes in that the dworf who got it and it was about is only a sentry at one of the towers just outside the gates. Just got lucky that the gobbos and stranglers decided to enter and move within free view of the guy.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 17, 2012, 09:54:01 am »

How'd you get it so your guys use bows?

Nick

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 17, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »

How'd you get it so your guys use bows?

Nick

You can assign dwarves any specific weapon, or any type of weapon, they just don't automatically grab foreign weapons(bows, two handed swords, halberds, etc) if there are other worthwhile weapons and you don't tell them to.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 18, 2012, 06:43:34 am »

I got another adamantine artifact. This time a Battle axe.

its worth 1500000 dorfbux. will provide pictures in a bit.
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 89