Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: @$%# ambushes  (Read 1034 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
@$%# ambushes
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:34:57 am »

I don't know what it was that changed, but not since 0.38 have I had a siege. Every single time the goblins attack, it's an ambush. Whenever they bring a siege-sized force, it comes in the form of 3 or 4 simultaneous ambushes which somehow manage to smuggle 2 dozen goblins, unnoticed, right up to my fortress.

This is very annoying and feels unfair.

Yes, I am able to repel them nonetheless, but it feels like getting cheap-shotted when, despite preparing for attack with knowledge learned by experience, you are forced to lose dwarves because the game seemingly just cheats.

Have a spine, you goblin pigs. Bring a darn siege, for once!
 :(

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: @$%# ambushes
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:16:02 am »

You need to have 80 dwarves in order t attract sieges.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:52:35 pm »

Oops, now how did I go and forget that? How embarassing  :P

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:02:44 pm »

You get two ambushes at once, and you complain? Goodness. Some people would be glad to have those ambushes!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:14:11 pm »

Chaining animals around goes a long way in keeping your dwarves safe

Alternatively, rig up a support with a piece of floor above it to a pressure plate. Ambushers reach critical location, step on the plate and you get a cave-in warning. Optionally have it collapse on the invaders

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:40:24 pm »

*looks at gatehouse covered in the clothes and armor of dead goblins*

Hmm...Nothing wrong here.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 12:00:37 am »

I find it much more fun to have only a couple entrances to my fortress with ambush detectors (i.e. kittens) backed up by fortified siege engines and marksdwarfs. 

Or if I'm feeling spunky, a large segmented raised roadway that is the only entrance to my fort.  Oh, and it's rigged with pressure plates that drop sections of construction down onto segments to destroy them and anything on the pressure plates.  And also it features hammer traps because you just can't have too much fun with goblin golfing.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 12:13:07 am »

with my lame luck, every one and their grandmother wants to send 3.5 wagons every season to take all my semi decent goods away...i'll take those seiges off your hands...:P
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 01:10:04 am »

You get two ambushes at once, and you complain? Goodness. Some people would be glad to have those ambushes!
Me for one.

I'm running out of hematite, I've gotta mine the gobbos!

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 07:37:07 am »

Not wanting to be argumentative, but it seems a little fatuous to complain that the goblins are cheating just because they're not announcing themselves in a blare of dischordant trumpets each time.

I don't have your experience. I've only played since 38c and by no means the whole time since then, but I worked out pretty quickly that protection from surprise is my own responsibility. I've only had five sieges in my entire career (two of them tonight), but I've had ambushes almost continously.

Things to think about;

1, Only one entrance. Keep a watch animal and a trip-wire line of traps.

2, Ambushes usually come with caravans. Call out the military everytime you have traders and don't dismiss them until said traders have left the map.

3, Ambushes are a cover for snatchers. If you get a baby-snatcher, GO ON ALERT.

4, LET your cats wander around. I've had god-knows how many ambushes revealed by cats and still more of them come to grief because they chased a kitten onto a row of traps.

5, As you pointed out, ambushes seldom come in single squads, but in battalions. If there's some, there's more.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:23:24 am by Marlowe »

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 11:31:19 am »

Two is no problem. It's when I get 5+ that I get a little squeamish. Especially when three show up and die, and the other two don't show up until my dwarves are out gathering armor to smelt. The dwarves are then in somewhat of a bad way.

Now, if I had the same number of goblins show up for a siege, that wouldn't bother me, I have time to react. Send out the champions and all that rot.