Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fallout I, II, & Tactics  (Read 4155 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout I, II, & Tactics
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 01:56:46 pm »

The UI is actually decent, you just need two mouse buttons (and in case you want to use your skills, it's good to know they are mapped on the number keys, I think it's 1-8). The rest of the interface, the functions you don't need that often (apart from the inventory, which probably can be opened by pressing "i") are accessed via those plastic buttons.

This button interface is all part of the fifties-feel of the game. Fallout always tried to recreate that bomb-fear-feel of the time when the US government showed educational movies that taught you to cover below your desk with a paper bag above your head is good to protect yourself from nuclear bombs. Something like that. And if you ignore for a second that, back then, they didn't have any technology for PDAs smaller than a house, and just assumed they would be able to build one small enough to carry...
it would look like a pip-boy.
Personally I don't really blame "clunkiness" accusations and that's purely due to the inventory interface. You can only see 7 items at a time and you have to scroll by clicking on the down button constantly and that only scrolls the list by 1 item. A scroll bar would've done wonders. Another problem comes with moving items in bulk in FO1 - you can't type in the numbers and you can only move up to 999 at a time. They fixed this in FO2, but the lack of scroll bars remained and was a real problem due to how loaded with items you'd become at the end in FO2.

Tbh, I'm still pondering if I want a PIP-Boy tattooed  ;)
This guy? Or do you mean the Vault Boy?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 03:16:01 pm »

Yes, the inventory was more or less bad. I didn't find it that annoying, but it was still bad, I have to agree on that. Forgot to mention it  ;D

You actually SHOULD be able to split stacks in FO1 no prob, did you patch the game properly? But I think I could even split stacks in the unpatched version no prob.

And yeah, I meant the "vault boy", but since the character development screen is actually a screen of the pip-boy-pda-thingy and the vault boy is used to visualize the different stats and skills there, I guess I'll always call him pip boy, just like FO:T did.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 04:55:53 pm »

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout This is an awesome place to get Fallout for anyone who doesn't have a copy now btw, DRM-free downloadable version optimized for XP and Vista, and including a buttload of extras (concept art, wallpapers, manual, the Fallout Bible, soundtrack CD, etc) all for like $6.  Very nice :D

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 05:46:28 pm »

You actually SHOULD be able to split stacks in FO1 no prob, did you patch the game properly? But I think I could even split stacks in the unpatched version no prob.
I actually meant using the keyboard for choosing the numbers. I recall having to use the mouse being pretty cumbersome. And as I said, they fixed this in FO2.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 09:53:41 pm »

Yeah, F2 feels more like a patched F1, they fixed a lot of things in it, so I tend to overlook F1. In fact, I've never played F1 again while I played the followup a few times from beginning to end.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 08:43:58 am »

Yeah, F2 feels more like a patched F1, they fixed a lot of things in it, so I tend to overlook F1. In fact, I've never played F1 again while I played the followup a few times from beginning to end.
Well, much as it was a bit more clunky, I personally enjoyed FO1 more due to better atmosphere and a more likable difficulty curve/balance. It's shorter, but the locations and characters (primarily due to more "talking heads") are more memorable, ammo is less common and people are using bottle caps for currency.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 11:01:44 am »

I liked F2 being harder, actually. *shrugs*

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 05:46:39 pm »

strange rant

I'm sorry, I just read your rant and I don't get it. First you tell people "well I find these things about the old Fallouts suck because there's not enough candy and it's clunky but HEAR ME OUT before you flame me because these was just my FIRST impression and you will find the conclusion of this post surprising and totally not flame worthy."

"blablabla..."

"End conclusions: yeah like, this game is old and clunky man, give me more GUI candy."

I'm really confused.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 08:14:49 pm »

Not surprising, I suffer major problems when trying to stay on-point. I'll re-iterate and keep it short to prevent pointless rambling again.

Seemed crap at first, nowhere near the epic awesomesauce I'd been hearing about. Played through a fair way despite not really catching on to all the plot hints, had a nice little explore before hitting seemingly insurmountable plotline barrier (Mariposa's force fields). Reformat of computer prevented later progress.

Unfortunately most of my like for the game had to come after the fact. Reading this + fallout 3 thread along with the fallout wiki. When I was playing, it felt very linear and limited. Reading about it shows this generally isn't the case, the decisions fit in so well with the storyline branches (or something) that I just never noticed. Compare this to modern RPGs which will throw the story line in your lap no matter what you do and will only ever give you 3 basic choices.

Thing is, I'm not sure that either is essentially bad. I actually did give a bit of a crap about Dagoth Ur or whatever his name was, up in the ash mountain while playing Morrowind. The master was more a matter of 'hey, mutants aren't generally friendly. They're also really big targets. I'm gonna shoot them all." One held my hand and made damn sure I got to the end, the other just let me do it myself.

So I guess my main point was the difference in fallout's story telling. If I had a point. Can you see why I have zero skill when it comes to essay writing? Also why I lurk more than post? :p
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 08:15:24 am »

Seemed crap at first, nowhere near the epic awesomesauce I'd been hearing about. Played through a fair way despite not really catching on to all the plot hints, had a nice little explore before hitting seemingly insurmountable plotline barrier (Mariposa's force fields). Reformat of computer prevented later progress.
Alright, playing a game that looks like a turd with high expectations might be a bit iffy  ;D
I didn't play FO1 for over 10 years, all the while I couldn't stand it. One day I was in the right mood to endure it, and I'm so happy I forced myself through the first one hour or so. Then it picked up and took off  ;D (hey wait a second, that sounds like my first approach to DF)

About the force fields: afaik I came to that base absolutely as the storyline wanted me to, and for some time I thought these force fields have to be bugged or something. After a while I found out I can blast the emitters with explosives, and that's it. Some can be avoided by running around that base, but some key fields... you just have to remove them.

But worry not, even at that point that late in the game for me, they felt like "storyline flags" to keep me out. While in fact, they are just bitches to bypass.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 06:39:29 pm »

Oh... explosives! I don't think I ever even tried that, I was distracted by the big flashing computer that I didn't have the skill to operate. Bugger me.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 09:32:52 am »

The force fields can also be disabled with sufficient repair skill (target the circular drum thingy on the side).

These force fields work differently in different places though. Some require higher repair, so lower. Some will trigger the alarm after you failed to disable it a few times. Some can even be weakened so that you can walk through it (but take some damage).

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 11:57:22 am »

The force fields can also be disabled with sufficient repair skill (target the circular drum thingy on the side).

These force fields work differently in different places though. Some require higher repair, so lower. Some will trigger the alarm after you failed to disable it a few times. Some can even be weakened so that you can walk through it (but take some damage).

Variation for the win.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 12:21:17 pm »

Variation for the win.

Watch out.  Dogmeat does NOT respect variation, or force fields.  All he wants is to eat mutant faces off, and he will run full-speed through every force field in the entire base on his way to get to sweet green meat. 

There has never been a better feeling in any video game I've ever played than the one time I walked out of the military base, my head held high, Dogmeat still alive. 

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 12:49:29 pm »

I always thought the weaker force fields are a kind of a "party purger"... I just accepted that the developers want you to finish the base solo and so I promptly roasted my companions.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:49:12 pm by Puck »
Pages: 1 [2] 3