Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The most FUN map you have everbeen on  (Read 1660 times)

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The most FUN map you have everbeen on
« on: October 31, 2008, 06:10:56 pm »

I now made a fortress on the most hellish place on earth. a terrifying glacier with cave river, underground pool, chasm, bottomless pit, HFS and a magma pipe to the boot. To make this map even better it doesn't have any soil so you have to farm the old fashioned way and when I opened the magma pipe there was a fire man in it (look it up in the wiki). And that all in a 4x4 region

so what is your most fun map?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: The most FUN map you have everbeen on
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:23:20 pm »

Microfortress in Terrifying forest. With an aquifer.

Werewolves spawned near-constantly, and it only took seconds for them to lock on to a dwarf. I'd try and build during the lulls when deer or such would spawn. Managed to make a 6x4 cabin for my dwarves to hold out in (with a bed for my wounded miner), but the aquifer penetration attempts took up all the remaining room, so I couldn't do much more than have my hunter blasting away almost 24/7, with my carver hacking up fresh bone bolts for the guy.

How it turned out... Well, the second attempt went well, though the center entry was still covered in leftover water, so I sent everyone down to put together some pumps. A werewolf promptly made it's way into the cabin, where it painted the walls with my miner, but once the stairs down had been closed off, the rest of my dwarves were safe, and we did manage to get a fort built, after all... Though it didn't last long before the update came in.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:30:01 pm »

I once embarked on a Terrifying mountain, hoping for a challenge.  I got a challenge, all right.  A werewolf and a half-dozen harpies tore my dwarves to shreds within literally the first minute of gameplay.  I didn't get to cut a single tree or mine out a single square, my dwarves met Armok face to face in mere seconds.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:49:33 pm »

Seven dwarfs in a 6x4 cabin surrounded by werewolves? That sounds like it would have made an awesome community-fortress.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:46:46 pm »

I did quite enjoy the story I was making up along the way... The first of my mining pair bit it in the first aquifier bypass attempt. Only follower of the God of the Sun and Sky, no less. Irony, or just fun coincidence? In the end it only took a few seasons. They were just very intense seasons. Had it taken longer, I probably would've thought to open it up.

Apparently those Werewolves can get right vicious. At least mine didn't spawn on top of my wagon... Owch, Bromor.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:13 am »

Seemingly peaceful and harmless map up in the taiga, with a brook frozen for several months of the year but plenty of iron and wood and not too many predators... but several carp and sturgeons, one of which killed eleven dwarves and maimed five more before I finally resorted to having an axedwarf wade into the water and sort the bugger out.
And then we had three goblin sieges in three years, leading to a spectacular tantrum spiral and the depopulation of the fortress by 75% before I gave up in despair.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:03:08 am »

Terrifying mountain, overlapping with a jungle.

When I wasn't fighting off the giant cougars, the zombie and skeletal giant eagles washing off the mountaintop were tearing my guys to shreds. I managed to hold out for 3 years, but the constant eagle attacks (and one raid by all four skeletal fire imps simultaneously) kept my soldiers bedridden.

I was able to fight off the first goblin ambush with my legendary miners, but the second one killed ~60% of my dwarves, and the third wiped me out.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:24 am »

Terrifying mountain, overlapping with a jungle.

When I wasn't fighting off the giant cougars, the zombie and skeletal giant eagles washing off the mountaintop were tearing my guys to shreds. I managed to hold out for 3 years, but the constant eagle attacks (and one raid by all four skeletal fire imps simultaneously) kept my soldiers bedridden.

I was able to fight off the first goblin ambush with my legendary miners, but the second one killed ~60% of my dwarves, and the third wiped me out.

You think thats bad? Try a terrifiying mountain bordering a terrifiying swamp. Beak dogs and harpies and skeletal giant eagles, oh my!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 10:48:29 am »

Skeletal GCS hanging out on the surface by the chasm. Walked over to the dwarven wagon.

'Nuff said.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:17:45 am »

terrifying ocean had potential, but the tuna and sharks never struck at my fort directly. the goblin ruler is a demon, though, so the potential remains.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 10:32:16 pm »

Skeletal GCS hanging out on the surface by the chasm. Walked over to the dwarven wagon.

'Nuff said.

Skeletal Giant Cave Spider? What?

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 08:26:14 am »

It must have an exoskeleton and no fleshy bits except for posion glands and web spinners.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 03:14:53 pm »

The most fun I ever had was back in the 2d days, one of my first maps had old-fashioned elephants and because I didn't know how to properly hunt back then, I'd occasionally have...problems.

The fort died when my terrified marksdwarf ran into the fort to hide, and a herd of elephants followed him.

New version? I started in a tropical place with a cave, and before I can get ANYTHING done, webs start spraying out over my dwarves and a GCS leaps from ambush and kills them all.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!