Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ways To Reduce Micro-Management  (Read 1427 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Ways To Reduce Micro-Management
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:47:16 pm »

Here's a few I've thought up that will greatly reduce the amount of keystrokes per job and/or enhance one's ability to leave DF running in confidence whilst they pop out to use the bathroom or get a coffee.
  • The addition of auto-mill and auto-process plants options, but with the addition of a system of quotas, so that you have control over what percentage of each multi-use crop goes to which workshop.
  • An alarm bell structure, which when activated by lever or pressure plate automatically activates the squads you selected and sends them to their assigned posts.
  • The ability to partially control the Fortress and Royal Guard in the same way as a military squad, possibly without the option to carry backpacks and waterskins so that training a proper military still requires some effort on the player's part.
  • The ability to designate a bedroom, office etc as the Mayor's official residence, which changes hands automatically upon the election of a new mayor.
Feel free to add your own.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Ways To Reduce Micro-Management
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:03:25 pm »

I had some ideas of my own for reducing squad control micromanagement -- patrol routes / guard posts that can be saved, reused, and shared by multiple squads.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26077.msg305183#msg305183

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 05:25:48 pm »

I've had one of these: alarms.

When an alarm is rung, not only are all squads activated. It also orders every civilian to proceed to a safe area AND forbids any items dropped during the alarm (usually the possessions of people killed during fights).
Once the alarm is over, all those items are automatically claimed- it is now safe to go out and pick them up.
<3

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 05:47:26 pm »

I've had one of these: alarms.

When an alarm is rung, not only are all squads activated. It also orders every civilian to proceed to a safe area AND forbids any items dropped during the alarm (usually the possessions of people killed during fights).
Once the alarm is over, all those items are automatically claimed- it is now safe to go out and pick them up.
Also items outside: one of the leading causes of dwarven deaths in my fortresses during seiges... just can't get to them all.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:52:56 am »

Also items outside: one of the leading causes of dwarven deaths in my fortresses during seiges... just can't get to them all.
Adjust the Orders menu so that death items are automatically forbidden, and then set it so that only soldiers can leave the fortress as soon as you get a siege or ambush message. That should minimise the amount of manual forbidding you need to do -maybe a couple of doors depending on the layout of the fort- and also ensure that the first thing your civilians do when the dust settles is ensure the bodies of fallen dwarves are laid to rest, rather than putting their personal effects in the stockpile.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 01:33:25 pm »

I don't EXACTLY feel like military is exactly super high importance, though I have no real objections.

Note: There will be repeats of what other people have said
1) Able to set animals whome if are past a certain number will automatically be butchered
2) Able to set Workshop to create a WHOLE set of armor instead of peice by peice
3) Able to set workshop to create armor or weapons as needed instead of hunting down dwarves
-Also, having the Counter actually tell you what armor and weapons are needed would help... a lot!
4) Allow Shops to be connected to Workshops so that Dwarves can request objects such as clothing
-I can't even FATHOM the nightmare once clothes disolve into nothing!!!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:30:54 am »

An option to make a random (material) item at the workshop.

I like to keep all workshops busy, but I hate requesting 30 shirts, 30 cloaks, 30 shoes, 30 socks, etd. every few months. The same goes for mugs, toys, instruments and crafts. And weapons. I'd love to click "create a random plant fiber item" and "repeat". This way I would't have to micromanage my workshops any more.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:47:34 am »

Crafts already do that, kind of. Inherently.

The suggestion makes sense for clothing, though. I've been in that situation.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 01:11:28 pm »

It would be nice to set up a 'dress code' for the dwarves.  Say, silk socks over pig tail, and so on.  It would also be nice if there were purses, for coinage management among the dwarves.

enlait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:56:06 am »

• The ability to partially control the Fortress and Royal Guard in the same way as a military squad, possibly without the option to carry backpacks and waterskins so that training a proper military still requires some effort on the player's part.

I am sure that this is already suggested but i'd be happy with guard posts. Say, with every 3 guards you would be able to place one point where guards would always be stationed. The game itself would designate their duty rosters and rotate them accordingly. It wouldn't be bad if the player could design the duty rosters (for in example, a rookie gate guard would always be with a veteran one.)

enlait

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 12:57:02 am »

I am sure that this is already suggested but i'd be happy with guard posts. Say, with every 3 guards you would be able to place one point where guards would always be stationed. The game itself would designate their duty rosters and rotate them accordingly. It wouldn't be bad if the player could design the duty rosters (for in example, to make sure a rookie gate guard would always be with a veteran one.)
      [/list]

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
        • View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:51:02 pm »

I had suggested a list of message types and the ability to specify which paused the game. So the game would ignore new gabbro but pause when too many went idle or the traders appeared or whatever it is you want to pause for
      End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
      No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
      ---------
      "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
      -Albert Schweitzer

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
        • View Profile
      « Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 09:03:21 pm »

Auto cook and brew. Dear god, please. I'm tired of having to re-assign cooked meals every few days because something rots.