Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miasma Management  (Read 703 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miasma Management
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:17:20 pm »

The wiki says "miasma will not develop in the open" and "as long as there is no ceiling, it will be considered open area."  Does this mean that I can stop all miasma in my fortress simply by digging double-high ceilings?  Or if not for the whole fortress, then at least over the kitchens.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma Management
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 02:26:38 pm »

No ceiling means just that. You have to see the sky from the tile for them to not stink

Placing butcheries outside solves most of the problems

Srenaeb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:30:16 pm »

the butchery and tanning outside is a good idea, but when you have pet cats or cluttered kitchens it's still an issue.

I build certain buildings and blocks of residences with diagonal only entrances, that way if there is miasma inside at least it would be confined to the one room.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:47:17 pm »

I've always used an air-lock system for butcher/tanner shops and the refuse piles inside. Works pretty well, but it's not always perfect (something gets stuck in a door). For fun, I once channeled a chimney above the shops and put a grate over it. I don't think the miasma goes through the grate though, if I remember correctly. Without the grate, the miasma did leak out into the open air.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 04:57:26 pm »

As said, miasma cannot travel diagonally. So if you must have a morgue underground, simply make it so your stockpiles are in between pillars like this:

Code: [Select]

+-----+
|+O+O+|
|O+O+O|
|+O+O+|
|O+O+O|

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:19:18 pm »

I often dig holes above my kitchens and butcher shops, with the area around the hole walled off so that baddies (except flyers, of course) can't threaten the workers.  It does have the downside that dwarfs won't cook if set to stay indoors.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 06:23:50 pm »

I believe that because of the one way inside-> outside conversion, you can actually channel out a big chimney, then floor it off and still have no miasma. I have lots of spare dorfs, that's how I deal with it. My useless dwarves have pump operating/butchery/tanning enabled nearly always. PO makes them quick strong little haulers.

Butchery and tanning just needs to be done ASAP.