Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Completely Ineffective Ranger  (Read 3241 times)

Klapaucius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Completely Ineffective Ranger
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 04:30:20 pm »

Ohhh, this is a good hunter, you shouldn't complain about him. He is alive at least. My hunters are always very short lived -> useless.  ;D

He's too effective. He's hunting these animals to extinction just for the fun of it and doesn't even stick around to kill them himself because he gets interrupted by the next nearest animal.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 04:37:59 pm »

As Bromor said, setup 2 refuse piles, one outside other one inside. the one inside accepts only bone and shells cause skulls are completly worthless.
The thoughts from witnessing death only applies to friendles as far as i know so he wouldnt care the least even if he weren't so badass.
This trait usually appears with soldiers when a lot of their friends die and they dont tantrum.

I haven't had a single dwarf casualty yet, where did he get that trait?

What's his favorite animal? What wildlife are on the map?

Klapaucius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 04:39:50 pm »

As Bromor said, setup 2 refuse piles, one outside other one inside. the one inside accepts only bone and shells cause skulls are completly worthless.
The thoughts from witnessing death only applies to friendles as far as i know so he wouldnt care the least even if he weren't so badass.
This trait usually appears with soldiers when a lot of their friends die and they dont tantrum.

Horses, groundhogs, and elk are all I've seen so far. He mostly hunts the first two.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 04:28:23 pm »

Horses, groundhogs, and elk are all I've seen so far. He mostly hunts the first two.

And, again, what animal does he like? (see thoughts/prefs)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 09:08:18 pm »

hey, just out of unrelated curiosity - is Klapaucius a friend of the Great Inventor Trurl?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 10:38:35 pm »

IIRC, hunters won't return a kill if they didn't actually make the killing blow... so if he's leaving them when they're merely injured, and they die later, he won't return it. So, you'll want to make sure someone has refuse hauling enabled, there's room in the refuse pile, and that gather refuse from outdoors is on (o-r-o).

The only reason I can think of for why he wouldn't be finishing off the creature is that he gets interrupted by another, more urgent, task, like eating, drinking, or sleeping.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Klapaucius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 06:08:56 pm »

Alright, new weirdness. The ranger is at Marksdwarf level (no adjective), but is a Skilled Hammerdwarf.
There is no hammer in his inventory, and indeed no hammers were brought with us or made at all. So... this dwarf is using his crossbow as a hammer.
I watched him a bit more closely, which I haven't done in a while, and his style is to chase down the animal, and strike it with his crossbow so hard that it gets propelled a pretty impressive distance away, at which point it almost always dies immediately. (Hammer-style.) Then he walks away and starts hunting for something else.
As far as I can tell, he used to leave them mostly alive (which caused a ton of "the horse vomits" and similar announcements) but now he just one-hit-kills them. But either way, he got the animal recorded on his kill list, so the game counted it as his.
The only exception I have noticed is one groundhog hunt where he knocked a groundhog unconscious (and cut off its right rear leg somehow) and started actually returning it, but was interrupted by a need for drink.

Oh... for some reason I wasn't thinking and assumed you meant the animal he hunts most often. According to his profile, he likes mules for their stubbornness. There aren't any mules in the region, though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:13:40 pm by Klapaucius »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 07:59:56 pm »

Give him some hunting dogs and they will count as his hunting kill and i think he will carry it back then. have you activated gather refuse outside in the orders yet?
I'm suprised he haven't hunted everything to extinction yet.
And yes, crossbow without bolts = hammer

Klapaucius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 05:50:43 pm »

Give him some hunting dogs and they will count as his hunting kill and i think he will carry it back then. have you activated gather refuse outside in the orders yet?
I'm suprised he haven't hunted everything to extinction yet.
And yes, crossbow without bolts = hammer

Alright, I activated the order. He is skilled enough with his makeshift hammer to take anything smaller than a horse out in one hit, so he's started returning his kills, when he isn't interrupted by drink, food, sleep (but he sleeps in the woods anyway) and the sight another killable creature.

I'm just wondering, why are all my animals covered in blood from head to toe? I know it's somehow his fault, but...

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 05:53:37 pm »

Alright, new weirdness. The ranger is at Marksdwarf level (no adjective), but is a Skilled Hammerdwarf.
There is no hammer in his inventory, and indeed no hammers were brought with us or made at all. So... this dwarf is using his crossbow as a hammer.

I believe this is a known use of crossbows when they run out of ammo.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Klapaucius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 05:57:04 pm »

I believe this is a known use of crossbows when they run out of ammo.

I can accept that. But he's just so darn good with it; I wasn't expecting him to get Proficient. Is it possible for him to reach Legendary Hammerdwarf without ever picking up a proper hammer?

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 06:46:17 pm »

Your dwarves gain the apathy trait (Getting used to tragedy, doesn't care about anything anymore) from killing things, suffering wounds, and losing friends and loved ones.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 08:17:32 pm »

Clearly your dwarf is suffering from depression. Seriously, he has basically all the signs of it.

He needs psych meds.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 08:20:32 pm »

Clearly your dwarf is suffering from depression. Seriously, he has basically all the signs of it.

He needs more cute fuzzy animals and goblins to beat to death with his hammerbow.

Fixed that for you.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 08:43:55 pm »

He needs more cute fuzzy animals and goblins to beat to death with his hammerbow.

Fixed that for you.

That's the problem you see. One of the symptoms of depression is not getting pleasure out of normal activities. Like killing cut fuzzy animals. Which is why he's not killing them, and half way through wanders off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3