Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disposal of Goblin Armour  (Read 1262 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Disposal of Goblin Armour
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:23:44 am »

The more I think about it, the more melting it down seems like a bit of a waste of fuel and effort if you're on an iron ore-bearing map; the same amount of coke takes the same amount of time to produce three times as much metal from one lump of any sort of ironstone, which seems to be rather a feast-or-famine affair in DF.
So, what do you folks suggest? Sell it to the merchants, try and tweak the raws so I can chuck it straight in the crucible to make pig iron, or just pile it up in great menacing heaps on either side of the main gate as a warning to those who might assail my fortress?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Disposal of Goblin Armour
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:26:20 am »

I ususally sell these items to the merchants...

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:06:27 am »

I'll sell them to the merchants if I haven't already other stuff much more valuable (and light). So I melt them, even if like you, I've got plenty of magnetite on my map.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:31:38 am »

The trouble with those options is that goblin armour always seems to end up getting mixed in with the stuff my dwarves can put to use, which makes carting it to the depot a pain in the rear, and I seemingly never manage to get hold of as much fuel as I need; I make it a policy to steer clear of magma, which I consider to pose an unacceptable health and safety hazard.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:40:22 pm »

Oh come on. What proper dwarf would be afraid of a little molten rock?
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:56:21 pm »

A little molten rock I can handle. But several tens of thousand tons of it, full of fire imps and magma men and Armok knows what else? Nope, you can keep that; I'll take my chances with those whining pointy-eared hippies, thank you very much.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

The trouble with those options is that goblin armour always seems to end up getting mixed in with the stuff my dwarves can put to use, which makes carting it to the depot a pain in the rear, and I seemingly never manage to get hold of as much fuel as I need; I make it a policy to steer clear of magma, which I consider to pose an unacceptable health and safety hazard.

You can configure armour stockpiles to only hold usable or unusable items.  I typically create a stockpile just for unusable clothing and sell that stuff off (sometimes after decorating it).  I do the same with the armour whenever I don't have magma available.  If I do, well, fuel isn't a problem.

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:27:56 am »

A little molten rock I can handle. But several tens of thousand tons of it, full of fire imps and magma men and Armok knows what else? Nope, you can keep that; I'll take my chances with those whining pointy-eared hippies, thank you very much.

My fort is awesome then.  All the Magma is directly in the heart of a giant ground level Volcano, with sheer cliffs on all sides, so none of the magma beasts can attack my dwarves.

ALl magma forges have a special path that flows through fortifications and steel grates.  Except for one magma forge I forgot to make correctly.

First sign of trouble and that thing is getting boarded up.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 02:24:28 am »

It's possible to make perfectly safe magma forges even without the use of fortifications or grates.  Personally I like to use steel grates for a double-redundant backup, but it's only for stylistic reasons.

See, what you do is as soon as you discover the magma, you dig out a set of channels that will power all your magma workshops.  Then you connect the channels to the magma pipe/pool and let them fill.  If a magma man or fire imp gets into the channels at this point, you kill them.  Otherwise, you seal the magma channels off from the magma source.  You can either cover all the magma channels with stone or glass floors except the one point that you want to seal and then flood the entire area, or just arrange for water to only flow onto one or two squares.  Once the channel is sealed off from the main magma source, you then remove the floors above it wherever you want to build a workshop.

For additional safety, when you're using magma workshops, place the impassible squares in the workshop directly over the magma squares.

Presto, 100%-safe magma workshops!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 04:39:22 am »

For additional safety, when you're using magma workshops, place the impassible squares in the workshop directly over the magma squares.

THIS

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:06:28 am »

bost solution is to have two armor stockpiles- one usable, one non-usable. mass-mark the non-usable for melting every so often. easier to find the stuff to trade that way as well.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 09:09:44 am »

You don't even need to seal the channels. Just dig ONE channel from the floor where the forge is going to be, and then build one of the impassable sections of the forge over the resulting hole. Nothing can pop up out of the magma if you do that.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 09:10:16 am »

I hadn't stumbled on the usable/non-usable setting yet; thanks guys.